• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Thanks for the detailed info. I've used Oxpho Blue before with very good results. I've always struggled to get it even with the cotton ball method and had never thought of dipping the parts. I've also skimped on the prep in that I clean with a good gun cleaner, then scrub with Simple Green and finish with a hot water wash. I need to up my game a bit and stop being lazy with the prep. Your results show that it's worth the effort.

I had done touch up to other guns before and gotten spotty results....even if they were consistently spotty; so I thought I'd better figure out how to do it right for this pair. With the proper prep that result was achieved with one application. Now if I could just figure out how to get my 1895 Mauser in the oven...or had a large enough plastic tank...and a lot of oxpho blue...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Almost there...now I'm just waiting on some new grip screws from Sarco and my mission here is done.

Ballesters almost there.jpg

For those interested:

Grips from gRIPS4u.net are checkered walnut with an oil finish...period correct. Not original replicas though, more like some current 1911 grip designs.

Double holster from Kensleathercraft.com the hammer straps don't work with the Ballester-Molina but fit is tight enough that I'm not worried unless I do a bat hang somewhere.

The extra mags are from the sportsmansguide.com. The 8 rnd mags are from ProMag and the mag catch slots seem to be a wee bit too low making it problematic to get them to lock up with a full clip. They are even too tight in the 1911 I have to use as a comparison. I will have to experiment with some other makes or perhaps try moving the catch slot further north.

At the range...these are some sweet shooting boomsticks. Only one failure to feed that I'm attributing to the 'period correct' magazines that came with them. I find them shooting about 3" high at 10 yards.

Hey BogWalker...have you gotten yours out for exercise yet?

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I took mine out, but I'm an awful shot so don't ask me about accuracy. The only problem I had was a fail to feed that was with the period correct magazine. Only happens when I load all seven rounds. If I download to six it functions flawlessly. I noticed my period correct magazine has a crack in one of the feed lips and in the body of the magazine toward the top.

I haven't tried any other magazines, but I'm going to be ordering some metalform and Chip McCormick here in a few days.

Thanks for the lead on grips. All I could find was the vertical ribbed and the flat grips, neither of which I cared for at all. Will definitely be ordering a set.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I took mine out, but I'm an awful shot so don't ask me about accuracy. The only problem I had was a fail to feed that was with the period correct magazine. Only happens when I load all seven rounds. If I download to six it functions flawlessly. I noticed my period correct magazine has a crack in one of the feed lips and in the body of the magazine toward the top.

I haven't tried any other magazines, but I'm going to be ordering some metalform and Chip McCormick here in a few days.

Thanks for the lead on grips. All I could find was the vertical ribbed and the flat grips, neither of which I cared for at all. Will definitely be ordering a set.

If you get those mags in soon let me know how they work out. The one's I ordered are already sent back. I was thinking Mec-Gar as I have a couple of the 1911 clips that came with another pistol that seem to work fine.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I've got the Mec-Gar magazines, both 7 & 8 rnd variety and they work just fine. The 8rnd mags are a bit tight with all 8 rnds in them but I expect they will loosen up. At this point I just need to make sure they are locked in place as a casual insert may result in a loose mag. I also received the new grip screws from Sarco and they work and look great. I didn't take a new pic as they would look the same as the last pic I posted with better looking grip screws.

Both pistols run flawlessly at the range and I don't hesitate to carry them when I go out.

Right now I'd say that with a bit of work I have two fine .45 autos for the price of one. And with the story that can be attributed to them maybe more so.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I just got my magazines yesterday. Ended up getting a blued Mec-Gar 7 rounder and a stainless steel Metalform 7 rounder.

On the Mec-Gar: loading it is a breeze, but it does not eject from the magazine well very well. This has become less of a problem after a few dozen cycling so I imagine it is just a matter of breaking it in. Slide locks back on last shot.

On the Metalform: a lot more resistance to loading it than the Mec-Gar, ejects very positively when magazine release is pressed. Fails to lock back slide on last shot, instead the slide continues forward and the magazine is partially ejected.

I have noticed failure to feeds with both of these magazines as well as the Argentine original so I am inclined to believe it is a problem with my firearm. Advice on possible causes? When the slide is stuck behind the round it takes only the slightest tap to send it on forward and feed the round.

I replaced the grips with a set of the vertically cut wooden grips that Sarco is selling for $15. Looks a lot better than the black rubber ones, but one is ever so slightly bowed creating a small gap in frame to grip fit. Causes no discomfort so not a big deal.

One thing I noticed is that my firearm smells like an old smoker's home when fired. Perhaps the Argentine police officers had the habit of smoking on the job? Just found it very strange. Using PMC bronze ammunition, but I imagine it is not the ammunition. Smells like a stale ash tray. I didn't notice it when I first got the gun, but it has smelled ever since my last range session.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    When you got your weapon from Sarco did a set of additional springs come in the box? I know the company indicated they had replaced the springs and my boxes both had the old springs in the box. I wonder if yours might have been given a slip. Since it only takes a small tap to get it moving again it might be a weak spring.

The issue with the Metalform clip could be a slightly low clip retention hole forcing the mag to ride slightly high in the well. I had that issue with the initial magazines I procured though I didn't try firing it with them.

As for smoking...I'm guessing like chimneys. Since I've given my set an extensive chemical bath though I've not noticed a smell.

Maybe all you need to do the get the MecGar mag to drop is remove the cig butts? :dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Yes, mine did come with a second set of springs in the box. I'll tinker with a stiffer set and see how it goes. I didn't give it all that thorough a cleaning so that could be the problem with mine. The Metalform wasn't all that expensive so I might try recontouring the retention hole.

I wonder what sort of nicotine dosage I'm getting firing this thing, hah.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Good question...about 15min after you shoot it do you feel you NEED to shoot it again? Want to shoot it first thing after you wake up or just before going to bed?
    I feel that way about all of my firearms :dunno:.

On another note, you said you carry your Molinas. What condition do you carry on? Cocked and locked like a 1911?

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Quick update. I took mine to our local BBQ and Bullets meeting (TEA Party) and ran 8 clips through my two. They both worked flawlessly. Also, shooting .45's two handed is most fun...sort of like standing on the go peddle connected to a nice V-8; you may be wasting gas but so what. The only problem is now I need more ammo.

Top Bottom