• Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I'll not get into this here.
    No on flat earth.
    Why would one teach that?
    Just because someone is religious doesn't make them ignorant regardless of your beliefs.
    But that is some peoples belief, along with the earth being supported by an elephant, or...

And I'm not saying that religious people are ignorant, I'm religious as well.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Clickbait.

Almost at the end of the article:
    The balance reflected in the e-citation is a placeholder, not a fine... The representatives of the city also said the fine cannot exceed $1,000.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I doubt that the law is written to allow the payment, it is a technology issue, not a legal one.

Therefore I concur; clickbait…

"The balance reflected in the e-citation is a placeholder, not a fine. Anyone that is caught speeding 35+ miles per hour receives the placeholder because it is a mandatory court appearance," they added.”

"The system automatically puts in $999,999.99 as the base amount plus other costs since the only way to resolve the ticket is to appear in court," the city stated.”

“Officials confirmed that the astronomical amount is not enforced but has been in place with their newest system since 2017. The representatives of the city also said the fine cannot exceed $1,000.”

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    “‘$1.4 million,’ the lady told me on the phone. I said, ‘This might be a typo,’ and she said, ‘No sir, you either pay the amount on the ticket or you come to court on Dec. 21 at 1:30 p.m.'”
    Well, I'm confused, then. How can they be telling him it's not a typo, but at the same time supposedly city officials say the law doesn't allow the fine to be over $1,000? Sounds like this city needs to get their act together... :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    I doubt that the law is written to allow the payment, it is a technology issue, not a legal one.

Therefore I concur; clickbait…

"The balance reflected in the e-citation is a placeholder, not a fine. Anyone that is caught speeding 35+ miles per hour receives the placeholder because it is a mandatory court appearance," they added.”

"The system automatically puts in $999,999.99 as the base amount plus other costs since the only way to resolve the ticket is to appear in court," the city stated.”

“Officials confirmed that the astronomical amount is not enforced but has been in place with their newest system since 2017. The representatives of the city also said the fine cannot exceed $1,000.”
    Okay, wait, I think I see what's it's saying now.

It sounds like they have a law that requires a court appearance for a "super-speeder" ticket. So according to the law, there is no fine you can pay and not show up to court; you have to show up to court no matter what.

But the system they're using requires an amount to be input in that field anyways; their program "thinks" that there has to be an amount put in that the person can pay and not show up to court.

As a work-around, they just put in a super high amount.

So while it's not technically a "typo", it is incorrect, in that it doesn't match up with what the law actually requires. According to the law, the guy just has to show up to court no matter what, no mention of any million dollar fine you can pay to avoid doing so. That number is just something they're punching into their system as a workaround.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    So if the offender knows the law limits the fine to $1000 and is willing to pay that amount, why bother going to court? Can’t he just wait for a $1000 ticket to show up in the mail since he knows the $1.4M is bogus? Sounds like rich people can ignore it if they know what the statute allows.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    So if the offender knows the law limits the fine to $1000 and is willing to pay that amount, why bother going to court? Can’t he just wait for a $1000 ticket to show up in the mail since he knows the $1.4M is bogus? Sounds like rich people can ignore it if they know what the statute allows.
    The rich would just get an attorney and have it plead down to a non moving violation with no points, not pay the fine and have the ticket stick.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County