• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Apparently you have no concept of what are deemed "services" and what is deemed a "nanny state" The governments only purpose for existing is the following: Maintain social order (law), Provide public services(FD, PD, Roads), to provide for the national security and a common defense (Self-Explanatory) and to provide for and control the economic system.
    What you are describing above would fall under the Public Services section of the purposes of government.
    The government was not formed to force YOUR opinions on others. It doesn't matter if you think College kids shouldn't drink, binge, become alcoholics.....it's simply not your business. I'm curious as to why you would think you should have any control over someone not related to you in any way shape or form?
    A nanny state exists when the government thinks it knows what is better for you than you do. I.E. New York City. Who said alcohol and guns mix? lol...there you go reading what you want. The students that are carrying guns would most likely be the same adults who will carry after their college careers are over. We are all allowed to drink whenever we want (I choose not to, but I don't inflict that upon others). Honestly I find your gross generalization about college students offensive.
    Perhaps you should reflect upon what you've said and ask yourself if you have indeed become indoctrinated into believing a nanny state is good. I would prefer to be allowed to defend myself with my firearm on a college campus if I were a student at BSU. The simple fact is that crooks don't care about laws.
    Before you attack my credibility I'm currently a POL/SCI Major focusing on Constitutional Law.
    ^^THIS^^

Indy317, You said in one of your post earlier that, "college students are going to get drunk, no if, ands, or buts" No idea where you pulled this from, but im a college student, why aren't I getting drop dead wasted? Oh yeah, because im dropping 20k a year to get a higher education. Not spend the next four years slamming back the cold ones.

Anyway, i don't want to come off as rude, so I'll digress. I know plenty of friends up here who drink very responsibly, my room mate included. He will park his car at a friends, walk to the party. If he feels like he has had a few too many, he will either stay at the friends, or just catch a bus back to the dorm.

Now, back to my whole thing with carrying on campuses. I feel like yes, MAYBE alcohol is a factor in why students can't carry on campuses, but i feel like the main reason is the Universities political affiliation and viewpoints. Look at Purdue, sure they still don't allow carry on campus, but they now have a republican as president in Mitch Daniels. They seem to be very accepting of firearms there. They may be the first ones to allow carry on campus. While BSU is run by the far left liberals. Anything conservative is a No-No! Like i said earlier in this thread, i feel like people get these ideas in their heads on what could happen, and refuse to give the other option a chance!

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Apparently you have no concept of what are deemed "services" and what is deemed a "nanny state" The governments only purpose for existing is the following: Maintain social order (law), Provide public services(FD, PD, Roads), to provide for the national security and a common defense (Self-Explanatory) and to provide for and control the economic system.
    What you are describing above would fall under the Public Services section of the purposes of government.
    The government was not formed to force YOUR opinions on others. It doesn't matter if you think College kids shouldn't drink, binge, become alcoholics.....it's simply not your business. I'm curious as to why you would think you should have any control over someone not related to you in any way shape or form?
    A nanny state exists when the government thinks it knows what is better for you than you do. I.E. New York City. Who said alcohol and guns mix? lol...there you go reading what you want. The students that are carrying guns would most likely be the same adults who will carry after their college careers are over. We are all allowed to drink whenever we want (I choose not to, but I don't inflict that upon others). Honestly I find your gross generalization about college students offensive.
    Perhaps you should reflect upon what you've said and ask yourself if you have indeed become indoctrinated into believing a nanny state is good. I would prefer to be allowed to defend myself with my firearm on a college campus if I were a student at BSU. The simple fact is that crooks don't care about laws.
    Before you attack my credibility I'm currently a POL/SCI Major focusing on Constitutional Law.

"Before you attack my credibility I'm currently a POL/SCI Major focusing on Constitutional Law."

WOW! Why didn't you say that in the first place???? :eek::bowdown::nailbite:

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    "Before you attack my credibility I'm currently a POL/SCI Major focusing on Constitutional Law."

WOW! Why didn't you say that in the first place???? :eek::bowdown::nailbite:
    LOL...because we hadn't started discussing the roles of government. Only when he started in with his ill-informed ideas of what constitutes a "nanny state" did it become relevant. :D

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

The government was not formed to force YOUR opinions on others. It doesn't matter if you think College kids shouldn't drink, binge, become alcoholics.....it's simply not your business.

When you take money from others, to provide to another, then they are going to want to impose their views/opinions on those benefiting from the money being taxed. Using your definition of government, then the only thing education wise they should be providing is that of K-12, yet government dumps millions into higher education. As such, those who pay state and federal taxes are subsidizing the college education of many young people. Not only that, when they OD and don't have insurance, we get to subsidize them again: Police investigation, EMS, and ER treatment.

Voting is essentially about forcing one groups opinion on others. This is why so many things other than you mentioned are handled by government. However, everyone wants another person's money to have police, EMS, roads, hospitals, etc.. Since government has taken on so many other services, then you give the people (even those who don't pay) the right to vote in their opinion via representatives who will makes laws based on the groups opinions of how things should be.

I'm curious as to why you would think you should have any control over someone not related to you in any way shape or form?

If one is paying, why shouldn't they have control via their vote? I've always been a big advocate of allowing people to give up their vote in order to obtain a full refund of taxes paid (all taxes). However, that isn't going to happen, so I feel that if the fruits of my labor are taken, I have a right in how those funds are used, limited of course by the Constitution.

Pieces of paper don't mean much to me. I have one as well, doesn't make me an expert on anything. I've been around to know that just because someone has some letters after his or her name doesn't mean they are magical. They may or may not know a lot about what their degree is in, but that is about it. Doesn't imply common sense, doesn't make them "right." You have a right to your opinion and I have a right to my opinion. Are you getting your education subsidized at a public school, or paying the full ride at a private school?

Let me state that I actually support the right of any person to carry at a public higher ed institution. However, I fully believe and expect more incidents with guns once students and faculty are allowed to carry. Just like while I don't support a drinking age, I fully expect more DUI deaths, more ethanol OD deaths, if the drinking age were say 14,16 or 18 years of age. It has more to do with the mentality of young adults than the prohibition of the object. And that mentality will have a major impact when public universities are finally told they have to allow license holders to carry on their property.

Top Bottom