• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    https://www.dallasnews.com/news/pol...rs-heroic-texas-school-curriculum-panel-urges
    Don't call the Alamo's defenders 'heroic,' Texas school curriculum panel urges

The panel said "heroic" was a "value-charged word."

"Words like 'heroic' to describe such men are indeed 'value charged,' and it is because anything less would be a disservice to their memories," Stevens said. "To minimize the study of the Republic of Texas is to fail to teach a pivotal portion of the state's history."

I never thought about it until now... but taking a neutral stance and looking at the whole Texas Revolution.... well, it's kinda weird how we see the Texans as heroes, even though, they essentially invaded another nation, decided they didn't like that nation's laws, and decided they were going to take up arms and cut a piece of that country for themselves.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I never thought about it until now... but taking a neutral stance and looking at the whole Texas Revolution.... well, it's kinda weird how we see the Texans as heroes, even though, they essentially invaded another nation, decided they didn't like that nation's laws, and decided they were going to take up arms and cut a piece of that country for themselves.

Worse yet, a large part of their issue with Mexico was simply that Mexico had abolished slavery in 1829.

"Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory."

-Ulysses S Grant, regarding the Mexican-American War, in Personal Memoirs of General U. S. Grant (1885), p. 16

Nonetheless, I find the whole thing about not calling the last stand at the Alamo "heroic" a very strange thing indeed. It seems like the very definition of heroic in my mind. I guess I only consider the act as the determining factor, regardless of the cause. Something can be heroic to me in a poor cause just as well as in a good cause, although I would probably define a "hero" differently. I admit, doesn't necessarily make sense. The more I think of it though, I suppose I could also consider someone a "hero" to their cause even if I opposed the cause.

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw

They didn’t “essentially invade another country”. They were invited to immigrate, concert to Catholicism and essentially serve as a buffer against the Commanches and Apaches. Dome of the immigrants intermarried with the Mexicans. But the slavery issue did come up...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The entire Serena Williams happening at the US Open is a major SJW event.

Don't have time to summarize right now... but it's really, really embarrassing. All the usual news outlets are trying to defend her, even saying "don't blame feminism for this!"

I'll try to do a write-up tomorrow morning if someone doesn't beat me to it.

Edit, found this TL;DR elsewhere, just copy/pasting here.

1. Serena gets a warning for coaching. (Her coach later admits to signaling Serena to attack the net. He's caught on-air making eye contact and gesturing to her, then nodding. Serena claims she didn't see it.)
    2. Later, Serena smashes her racket after losing a point. Second warning means she's docked a point, allowing Osaka to start the next game at 15-0.
    3. Serena continues to argue with the chair umpire, calling him a "liar" and a "thief", claims she "would never cheat because she has a daughter, and stands by what's right for her." Then she says this always happens to her, and only because she's a woman, and demands an apology. The chair umpire, Ramos, calls her for a code violation: verbal abuse, and docks her a complete game.
    4. The rowdy NYC crowd boos the awards ceremony, causing Naomi Osaka to cry. She then apologizes for winning the match. Serena plays damage control, telling the crowd to stop booing.
    5. At the press conference, Serena turns the drama into a gendered issue, says she's fighting for women's rights, that she's fighting for equal treatment.
    6. Social media starts with this narrative of "misogynist chair umpire" ruining the US Open experience for two colored women, at which point I had to get off the internets. Lots of blue check mark tweets saying, "this is what it's like being a black woman in the United States." Really, millions of people cheering you on while you play a tennis match for $3.8 million winner's and $1.85 million runner-up in prize money is some form of patriarchal oppression?
    7. Anyway, Naomi Osaka played a great game, did not partake of the drama. Hope to see her in the finals again.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Don't have time to summarize right now... but it's really, really embarrassing. All the usual news outlets are trying to defend her, even saying "don't blame feminism for this!"

It boils down to, she says a MAN wouldn't have been called out on her temper.
    Never mind the fact she was playing a woman.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Christina Hoff Summers on the "wage gap"

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;331900090713429]https://www.facebook.com/officialbenshapiro/videos/331900090713429/[/video]

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

She was raised a jehovahs witness. Not left leaning views by any means. I'm not saying patriotism because they are not. But somewhere in her adult life she was fed some bs from the other direction. She went from one cult to another it seems.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And Christina Hoff Summers on MeToo and how they are causing themselves to disintegrate.

click to play
    [video=facebook_share;306737990111917]https://www.facebook.com/officialbenshapiro/videos/306737990111917/[/video]

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Worse yet, a large part of their issue with Mexico was simply that Mexico had abolished slavery in 1829.

"Generally, the officers of the army were indifferent whether the annexation was consummated or not; but not so all of them. For myself, I was bitterly opposed to the measure, and to this day, regard the war, which resulted, as one of the most unjust ever waged by a stronger against a weaker nation. It was an instance of a republic following the bad example of European monarchies, in not considering justice in their desire to acquire additional territory."

-Ulysses S Grant, regarding the Mexican-American War, in Personal Memoirs of General U. S. Grant (1885), p. 16

Nonetheless, I find the whole thing about not calling the last stand at the Alamo "heroic" a very strange thing indeed. It seems like the very definition of heroic in my mind. I guess I only consider the act as the determining factor, regardless of the cause. Something can be heroic to me in a poor cause just as well as in a good cause, although I would probably define a "hero" differently. I admit, doesn't necessarily make sense. The more I think of it though, I suppose I could also consider someone a "hero" to their cause even if I opposed the cause.

I dunno.. A small group of soldiers standing up to an entire army, with little chance of reinforcements? I think they get "heroic" just for not turning tail and running.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    07X3hq4.png

Edit, bonus:

Dmu5pV6W4AALVhS.jpg:small

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Remember. They said they don't have the police to investigate terrorists.
    But, if you make a post that hurts someone's feelings, they have enough for that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom