• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I've got a 3rd grader. Yes, I pay attention to the social media accounts of her teachers, and others at the school. I've yet to be in this specific situation, but I doubt I would be happy if someone who had my kiddo in their class made such inflammatory public comments.

Lose her job? Dunno. But the next parent/teacher meeting would be .... interesting.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Really I was just making a grammar nazi joke. I hadn’t put a lot of thought into it. But I’ll be serious. I’ll try to put myself in the position of deciding what to do. Without a context other than my imagination and first impressions, I would not fire her straightaway just for a tweet. I would not want to be fired just for saying something controversial on the internet without having the opportunity to explain the context.

If it were up to me, I’d wait and talk to her first. Admittedly I am biased towards firing her so it’s really up to her to make the case that her attitude isn’t what it appears to be, and that she’s not a bad influence on students. Appearance is a factor. And probably the first question would be to identify the grammar mistake(s) in the tweet.

She resigned, sooooo. Maybe she would have been fired, maybe not. Maybe someone in the admin back channeled her and told it was gonna go bad for her and she quit instead. She should have known that comment would not be taken well. Social media has no sense of humor. Look up Mark Kelly (Astronaut) and see how he got hisself whip lashed to death yesterday for a simple tweet quoting Churchill.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    43363934_1921886144573585_6760497618775703552_n.png

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    At this stage in the social media 'evolution', every single person knows that what they do on social media can bear repercussions on their professional life. Yet some choose to throw caution to the wind in order to get their message out to the masses. My question is, do you really want someone who will throw caution to the wind, teaching your children (the generic you)? My two boys are adults now, but I don't want this type of person teaching ANY impressionable young people their poison. It's a matter of judgement, and lack thereof. Most contracts of employment, both public and private, speak to these issues of conduct unbecoming, and I have no sympathy for anyone who breaks their contract of employment. Screw them and the donkey they rode in on.

Which is why I removed my employer info from my FB profile. I don’t want to give some melty snowflake an express line to contact my employer With just a couple clicks.
    If they want to try to get me fired, they’ll have to work for that info.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't have the time to parse it all and present it in a clean and cozy way... but Tom Arnold is ranting on Twitter with people about sexism/white supremacy/gamergate harassers/etc etc...

I've never followed Tom Arnold, so I don't know if this is normal for him... just saw him berating some people I follow with silly labels, and saw some of the cringe conversation strings.

He's responding to nearly everyone that replies to him.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Link that allows AdBlocker:
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...-that-showed-bias-against-women-idUSKCN1MK08G

So, did the Amazon AI just learn what was common among applicants, and use that as a "preference", or did it pick up on a bias Amazon already had, and learn to prefer those types of candidates?

We have had several AI's lately that should be seen as a warning: This one, the Facebook AI (https://www.independent.co.uk/life-...language-research-openai-google-a7869706.html), and the creepy Saudi robot that that was the iRobot movie incarnate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom