• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Trump definitely strikes me as being the only realistic chance we have of breaking the establishment stranglehold on national politics. That said, even if he isn't my dream candidate, he is the only person I see changing the landscape in a way that will allow my dream candidate to have any chance whatsoever of becoming president.

If Trump gets elected - I know it would require the patience of Job of either of them - perhaps either Cruz or preferably Paul could be an effective VP or cabinet member and position themselves to succeed Trump. I can see Trump starting to turn the ship of state, i just can't see him plotting the new course we should be steering.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If Trump gets elected - I know it would require the patience of Job of either of them - perhaps either Cruz or preferably Paul could be an effective VP or cabinet member and position themselves to succeed Trump. I can see Trump starting to turn the ship of state, i just can't see him plotting the new course we should be steering.

I can see him doing it in some regards but not others. He understands the economy well enough, and also security, but you are right about needing to set up either Cruz or Paul for the next time. I will be happy if the only thing he accomplishes is to break the rudder free so that it will be possible for someone like Cruz or Paul to steer rather than be trapped on a runaway ship.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I can see him doing it in some regards but not others. He understands the economy well enough, and also security, but you are right about needing to set up either Cruz or Paul for the next time. I will be happy if the only thing he accomplishes is to break the rudder free so that it will be possible for someone like Cruz or Paul to steer rather than be trapped on a runaway ship.

QFT. What's that buzz phrase - creative destruction?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    One thing that stands out to me is that Perot never had more than about 15% support and trailed both Bush and Clinton by huge margins. It seemed that he had some personal vendetta against Bush and didn't really care beyond throwing the election. Sure, he would have liked to have been president, but I doubt he was delusional enough to actually believe it was going to happen.

Trump definitely strikes me as being the only realistic chance we have of breaking the establishment stranglehold on national politics. That said, even if he isn't my dream candidate, he is the only person I see changing the landscape in a way that will allow my dream candidate to have any chance whatsoever of becoming president.

This is precisely what I've been trying to get across to people.

Once people see that they aren't forced to rally behind an establishment politician to win an election, they'll start voting for what they want rather than only focusing on how to be moderate enough to win.

This will pave the way for things like abolishing the NFA and other things many of us would have never imagined being possible, and hopefully take some of the apathy out of politics in this country.

For many years now, I've been thinking that we needed a hard nosed individual who would put liberal's feet to the fire and thrive in the process... Before we could get someone who was a dedicated constitutionalist. Trump has taken the fight to them, instead of bend over, he's precisely the miracle I was wishing for, for the republican party to make themselves relevant again.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    Welcome to the "Anyone but" campaign.... we saw how well that worked out last time... Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. 2nd time around incoming.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I agree on both points. I did see an interesting article with a different opinion, on the same Atlantic page as the OP subject article, asserting "Why America is Turning Left," or something similar. It's mostly about Occupy and BLM, however, the (millennial) writer did state several times in it that he believes Hillary Clinton will be forced to govern to the left of Barack Obama on domestic policy issues, because of the effect the above groups have had on public opinion. I think that's balderdash and the kid is deluding himself; HRC is out for herself, and will carry water for anybody who will give her money, especially Wall Street.

It's very likely a Trump candidacy will motivate liberal voters. But I really expect them to turn out no matter what. I would cringe at what might happen, but it's possible Trump may motivate a different kind of person to vote, who is not usually politically active.

The GOP convention process will prevent us from finding out, regardless, so I won't worry overly much about it.

The effect the social justice warriors have on public opinion mostly affects liberals and younger people; basically people whose parents didn't teach them how to overcome peer pressure. People who don't give a **** about what their peers think of them are immune to those tactics. Probably one of the reasons Trump stymies the liberal press. Instead of fainting at the words of the media he makes the media his *****.

Top Bottom