• lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
    Klan Broadside.jpg
    But no, the war had nothing to do with slavery at all, just ask the Democrats of 1856:
    Democratic Party Platforms: Democratic Party Platform of 1856

As for Lincoln's letter to Greeley, it might be a good idea to actually read what he is saying and understand why he repeats the phrases "I would" and "If I..." The fact that slavery is repeated several times in both letters should be a clue. No, the war was not begun to end slavery. But, the overriding issue that separated the Southern states from the rest of the country was the issue of slavery. It dominated their economy, politics, and society. By 1860 it was apparent that their (the South's) political power was ebbing, so they took action. As to why it did not happen sooner, you can look back to as early as 1788 with the start of a series of compromises (3/5, Missouri, 1850, etc.) that by 1860 could no longer be achieved thanks to an increasingly fervent abolitionist movement, the lack of expansive possibilities, and the paranoia of the Southern plantocracy.

As for the "war of aggression" nonsense. The legality of secession is still debated by legal scholars. All that really matters is that from 1861-65 the question was settled on the battlefield by draftees, volunteers, and militiamen on both sides. Predictably, the South lost and has been hell bent on rewriting history ever sense.

I am curious if the white sheets still come packaged with the stars and bars or if they are sold separately these days.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    "plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose."
    View attachment 30672
    But no, the war had nothing to do with slavery at all, just ask the Democrats of 1856:
    Democratic Party Platforms: Democratic Party Platform of 1856

As for Lincoln's letter to Greeley, it might be a good idea to actually read what he is saying and understand why he repeats the phrases "I would" and "If I..." The fact that slavery is repeated several times in both letters should be a clue. No, the war was not begun to end slavery. But, the overriding issue that separated the Southern states from the rest of the country was the issue of slavery. It dominated their economy, politics, and society. By 1860 it was apparent that their (the South's) political power was ebbing, so they took action. As to why it did not happen sooner, you can look back to as early as 1788 with the start of a series of compromises (3/5, Missouri, 1850, etc.) that by 1860 could no longer be achieved thanks to an increasingly fervent abolitionist movement, the lack of expansive possibilities, and the paranoia of the Southern plantocracy.

As for the "war of aggression" nonsense. The legality of secession is still debated by legal scholars. All that really matters is that from 1861-65 the question was settled on the battlefield by draftees, volunteers, and militiamen on both sides. Predictably, the South lost and has been hell bent on rewriting history ever sense.

I am curious if the white sheets still come packaged with the stars and bars or if they are sold separately these days.

My intent with the Greeley letter was to demonstrate that which you agree. Lincoln did not go to war to free the slaves. If he did not go to war to free the slaves, then what was his purpose? Ah yes, to preserve the Union which is a Centralized Federal government.

His actions were tyrannical. Martial law, jailing reporters, suspending habeas corpus. If our current POTUS did these same things if border states decided to secede over immigration, we would call him a tyrant.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Well, I've said my peace upthread. You guys are wasting your breath trying to reason with neoconfederates. Because Atlas shrugged and ****.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    "Any people, anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable and most sacred right - a right which we hope and believe is to liberate the world. Nor is this right confined to cases in which the whole people of an existing government may choose to exercise it. Any portion of such people that can, may revolutionize, and make their own, of so many of the territory as they inhabit."

Lincoln
    January 12, 1848

Dishonest Abe would be a better nickname for the tyrant.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    In case anyone doesn't want to read the whole thing, here's the condensed version.

Why, Lincoln was practically a ****ing commie! :runaway:

No it was why commies love him so much ...

Oh yea you don't care nm

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    In case anyone doesn't want to read the whole thing, here's the condensed version.

Why, Lincoln was practically a ****ing commie! :runaway:

Is that "intellectual honesty" or is it perhaps a lack of reading comprehension?

Last edited:

lj98

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    Evansville
    I rather think the types of links being provided (or in some cases the repeated use of single source information) says all there is to say about the point of view being offered.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lincoln has been dead for awhile in case anyone was wondering. He can't hurt you no more.

Top Bottom