• KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    The first SJ union. :rockwoot:

This part is funny
    Google contractors have long complained about their unequal treatment compared to full-time staff. While they make up the majority of Google’s workforce, they often lack the benefits of salaried employees.
    That's one of the reasons why they are contractors. Don't like it, get a different job.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The first SJ union. :rockwoot:

This part is funny

That's one of the reasons why they are contractors. Don't like it, get a different job.
    Ding Ding Ding!!

Thats the best response to those cry babies.

We don't get treated the same.
    Jeff b. Should give back his money
    I have no skills or education give me a raise!

You dont have to work at any of those places. You are free to go anywhere you like.

It's a fact of life contractors get treated like **** and looked down upon by FTE's

You either nut up and work hard to show your worth a d get converted or you move on to a new shop.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not sure how a bunch of SJWs and contractors making a "union" is going to bring them down.
    :scratch:
    I don't know about bringing them down, but it's certain to make Google less usable. I can see a day when Google searches won't work if you don't have your pronouns set up in your profile. Oh, yeah. There will be a mandatory profile. That's my prediction. And maybe searches will work slower and provide less relevant results depending on how many intersections of oppression the identity group you're in has.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    I don't know about bringing them down, but it's certain to make Google less usable. I can see a day when Google searches won't work if you don't have your pronouns set up in your profile. Oh, yeah. There will be a mandatory profile. That's my prediction. And maybe searches will work slower and provide less relevant results depending on how many intersections of oppression the identity group you're in has.
    And sooner or later a "new google" will come and take the Google's place.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I built an XP machine over the weekend (I needed a floppy drive).

Google didn't work on the included Internet Explorer; it would search, but it seems IE couldn't handle the the links to any actual content since they all redirect through Google.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Google didn't work on the included Internet Explorer; it would search, but it seems IE couldn't handle the the links to any actual content since they all redirect through Google.
    XP probably doesn't support the newer encryption methods needed to connect to modern https pages. Google has been one of those really pushing everything to be https.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

XP probably doesn't support the newer encryption methods needed to connect to modern https pages. Google has been one of those really pushing everything to be https.
    I can't fathom why you would do a XP build, mainstream support ended for it in April 2009 and extended support in 2014. I though I held on to Vista to long. :lmfao:

Now on the browser issue, IE frim back then does not support the current standards, download Firefox, or possibly MS Edge. both should work.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I can't fathom why you would do a XP build, mainstream support ended for it in April 2009 and extended support in 2014. I though I held on to Vista to long. :lmfao:

Now on the browser issue, IE frim back then does not support the current standards, download Firefox, or possibly MS Edge. both should work.
    Because it's an ancient piece of HW, that I needed for a FD, I have an XP license... call it nostaglia if you want.

I don't give two hoots that MS dropped support - I don't need it.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    Are you saying XP is the last Windows version that supports a floppy disk drive?
    Now you have me curious...
    YES, it appears to be true with a quick check.
    Lucky for me I still have a running XP computer on my network and should get the data off of my 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppies while I can.

Last edited:

BigErnNP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2020
    Southeast Side
    Because it's an ancient piece of HW, that I needed for a FD, I have an XP license... call it nostaglia if you want.

I don't give two hoots that MS dropped support - I don't need it.
    May be worth looking into utilizing a Linux OS distro for the older hardware requirement. At least to keep some sense of security instead of using XP.

I'm mostly a windows admin/user, but have messed around with a few Linux distros on older hardware that I didnt want to just throw away.

Here is a quick list of options, but obviously more options than these out there : Linux Options

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    May be worth looking into utilizing a Linux OS distro for the older hardware requirement. At least to keep some sense of security instead of using XP.

I'm mostly a windows admin/user, but have messed around with a few Linux distros on older hardware that I didnt want to just throw away.

Here is a quick list of options, but obviously more options than these out there : Linux Options

Seconded. Ive run ubuntu on older systems just to net the data off them via network connection to my main Ubuntu MATE system. Simple to either install or just run it live via a usb thumb drive.
    I can do everything that can be done on windows so far except for Xfinity's damn streaming, their system refuses to serve me any shows on demand and that aggravates me to no end since their commercials say "watch on any device" which is code for any "approved" device (i.e. locked down device like ipad or android).

It's gotten better now that Flash is finally End Of Life and most sites have moved to html 5. However, for work I still need flash for the damn older versions of Vmware vsphere client.

P.S. If you need to run an old copy of windows for something a virtualbox VM under linux runs windows better than it runs on the bare metal. I have a Windows10 VM just for itunes syncing and iphone backups.

Top Bottom