• actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Cross-posting from the SJW thread---------

Linus Torvalds (the Linux guy) has adopted the "Contributor Covenant"... a code of conduct full of SJW language and Big Brother nonsense.

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linu.../?id=8a104f8b5867c682d994ffa7a74093c54469c11f

One particular line: Maintainers have the right and responsibility to remove, edit, or reject comments, commits, code, wiki edits, issues, and other contributions that are not aligned to this Code of Conduct, or to ban temporarily or permanently any contributor for other behaviors that they deem inappropriate, threatening, offensive, or harmful.

Just an incoherent smorgasbord of free reign to remove any content.

TL;DR - Code that runs virtually every device on the planet is now directly subject to the whims of unelected comissars from San Francisco.

Also, his reasoning below:

Great.
    He "can't read people"... but he should be in charge of reading people.
    Yup, I can't see how that would go wrong.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    SpaceX reveals mystery moon passenger and he's a billionaire - "Elon Musk's SpaceX has inked Japanese entrepreneur Yusaku Maezawa as its first moon tourist for the BFR spaceship."

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Of course he has money. Duh.
    Look at cell phones. Only the rich had them. Crappy service, but expensive.
    Then over time, costs started to come down. Service started to get better.
    It's the way it works.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    auqmgt4b8zm11.png

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Going back to the Linux CoC news.... Python, too, is eliminating “master” and “slave” terminology, despite it being purely technical in nature. Because..feelings.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Going back to the Linux CoC news.... Python, too, is eliminating “master” and “slave” terminology, despite it being purely technical in nature. Because..feelings.

Somebody should suggest they change them to Male and female just to see their collective heads explode. :):

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/actor-locked-twitter-over-tweet-202648585.html
    Actor James Woods bashes Twitter after getting locked out

"The irony is, Twitter accused me of affecting the political process, when in fact, their banning of me is the truly egregious interference," Woods said. "Because now, having your voice smothered is much more disturbing than having your vocal chords slit. If you want to kill my free speech, man up and slit my throat with a knife, don't smother me with a pillow."

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    [video=youtube_share;v5VvJiNUCIA]http://youtu.be/v5VvJiNUCIA[/video]
    Though I completely agree with him that social issues don't belong anywhere in a code base, I can't take him seriously with the number of times he said "I don't know" and "Because Linux is free". Should a group of people leave the project and truly manage to cause an issue you can bet that another group will step in to fill the gap. Companies will adapt to whatever changes are needed and no internet doomsday will occur.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Though I completely agree with him that social issues don't belong anywhere in a code base, I can't take him seriously with the number of times he said "I don't know" and "Because Linux is free". Should a group of people leave the project and truly manage to cause an issue you can bet that another group will step in to fill the gap. Companies will adapt to whatever changes are needed and no internet doomsday will occur.

Seemed to me he's mostly reporting it, of course along with a little commentary. If this ends up being a "purge" of the non-SJW's, which it seems that it is so far, I don't blame them for claiming their intellectual property. If they really care about keeping politics out of the community, I don't see any other choice. A developer's views on social justice really have nothing to do with open source community.

Top Bottom