x51vI3n.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Certainly....it's not because "revolution" is a form of the word "revolt" or anything. That's crazy talk.

Denny two: electric boogaloo.

I believe the verb "revolt" comes from Italian "rivoltare", whereas "revolution" comes from the French word. I think the former comes from the Latin "voltare" which means to turn instead of "revolvo" meaning to roll back, turn over.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Certainly....it's not because "revolution" is a form of the word "revolt" or anything. That's crazy talk.

Denny here, It's usage by the French for social upheaval preceded Copernicus.

I don't know of any connection between the two meanings (i.e. political change and circular motion) other than they come from the same Latin root word.

Did Copernicus delay releasing his book because of fear of the RCC or fear of criticism due to the fact that there's a lot of errors in the models (later addressed by Galileo)?

Who knows.
    [video=youtube;Unx3dpZja00]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Unx3dpZja00[/video]

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Denny two: electric boogaloo.

I believe the verb "revolt" comes from Italian "rivoltare", whereas "revolution" comes from the French word. I think the former comes from the Latin "voltare" which means to turn instead of "revolvo" meaning to roll back, turn over.

Italian? Let's go back a little more- Latin....and used in terms of insurrection before De revolutionibus orbium coelestium was published...which was delayed until death because of concerns about objections from astronomers, not the church. In fact, the church was well aware of his theories and premises during Copernicus' lifetime and did nothing to him. There was no real controversy within the church about the work until over 70 years later, occasioned by Galileo.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Italian? Let's go back a little more- Latin....and used in terms of insurrection before De revolutionibus orbium coelestium was published...which was delayed until death because of concerns about objections from astronomers, not the church. In fact, the church was well aware of his theories and premises during Copernicus' lifetime and did nothing to him. There was no real controversy within the church about the work until over 70 years later, occasioned by Galileo.

Maybe you missed it - I think revolt comes from the Latin word voltare by way of the Italian word rivoltare.

AFAIK, It really wasn't until the Roman Inquisition and the time of Galileo (i.e. 17th century) that there was a grave threat against heliocentric astronomers.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Maybe you missed it - I think revolt comes from the Latin word voltare by way of the Italian word rivoltare.
    Latin came first and was used referring to insurrection before Copernicus' work.

AFAIK, It really wasn't until the Roman Inquisition and the time of Galileo (i.e. 17th century) that there was a grave threat against heliocentric astronomers.
    That is my understanding as well.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Denny here, It's usage by the French for social upheaval preceded Copernicus.

I don't know of any connection between the two meanings (i.e. political change and circular motion) other than they come from the same Latin root word.

Did Copernicus delay releasing his book because of fear of the RCC or fear of criticism due to the fact that there's a lot of errors in the models (later addressed by Galileo)?

Who knows.

Actually, your link says what I said originally.

"
    revolution (n.)

late 14c., originally of celestial bodies, from Old French revolucion "course, revolution (of celestial bodies)" (13c.), or directly from Late Latin revolutionem (nominative revolutio) "a revolving," noun of action from past participle stem of Latin revolvere "turn, roll back" (see revolve). So not Denny...just...

General sense of "instance of great change in affairs" is recorded from mid-15c. Political meaning "overthrow of an established political system" first recorded c. 1600, derived from French, and was especially applied to the expulsion of the Stuart dynasty under James II in 1688 and transfer of sovereignty to William and Mary."

Nicolaus Copernicus (1473–1543) Copernicus challenged the church doctrine that the earth was the center of the universe. Others were burned at the stake for reading his book after he died. There were some inaccuracies in his calculations but he was working with a couple of sticks...state of the art stuff back then. Enough not funniness. :p

1mb90m_oxroukbSak1vnghdeo1_540.jpg

Also, you apparently altered the title to the link just to say I was wrong. https://www.etymonline.com/word/revolution

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom