• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    This. I did the math and with 5.5 years of contributions with a decent company match, if I pulled it out now my penalties would be almost equal to the company match + gains. Essentially it would have been a large 0 interest savings account. What a mess.

True, that does suck. But it doesn't suck as much as having it all moved into new government controlled accounts for your benefit. We've seen how well they've run Social Security...

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    You have to pay the 15% "penalty", plus have the amount to your taxable income at the end of the year. I'm no financial whiz but I think that pretty much wipes out your matching contributions! As always the working guy gets the shaft no matter what he does.

It's a 10% penalty unless they raised it this year. I disagree that it's not worth it, even if you early withdraw.

Most companies match 50% to 100%. Let's assume 50% and let's assume your tax bracket is 20%. We'll also assume the stock market remains the same and doesn't affect the balance.

So, if you have 10k of income, you'll pay 20% income tax, leaving you with 8k

If you put the 10k in a 401k, the company matches with 5k, so now you have 15k.

You early withdraw and they hit you with a 10% penalty and 20% tax. 15k - 30% equals 10.5k.

So, you'd have 10.5k instead of 8k. Sounds like a better deal to me.

Top Bottom