• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Every kid doesn't deserve a trophy and no team should be judged for whooping some ass. I guarantee there have been a lot more kids with hurt feelings from a good game lost than a complete blowout.

My son played on the team we fielded out of the Speedway youth league (Soccer) in the Hoosier games for the state title when he was 12. It was in the top 3 hardest fought games I have ever witnessed in youth soccer. Speedway lost by 1 goal in the final minute of regulation. He cried all the way home. He was on the goal.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Bad sportsmanship. There is such a thing as winning AND losing gracefully. The coach on the winning team could have easily spoken to the other coach at the half, and dictated terms of surrender. The losing team should have been asked to forfeit if things didn't get any better at the end of the 3rd quarter. If they refused, the leading team should have forfeited, and then appealed to the high school sports association to not count the game in the standings.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Bad sportsmanship. There is such a thing as winning AND losing gracefully. The coach on the winning team could have easily spoken to the other coach at the half, and dictated terms of surrender. The losing team should have been asked to forfeit if things didn't get any better at the end of the 3rd quarter. If they refused, the leading team should have forfeited, and then appealed to the high school sports association to not count the game in the standings.

Oh bs. When has that ever happened? Did you play sports?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN

Lol. The winning team should forfeit and hand vicfory to the losing team because the losing team refuses to quit? Or ask to not count the game which could affect overall standings and maybe cost them a trip to the state championships (purely hypothetical)?

No.

If you're getting your ass kicked and you refuse to quit, you deserve nothing but more ass kicking. You don't deserve to be handed victory.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Don't like the rules, don't play.

Life isn't 'fair', and it doesn't take it 'easy' on you because you're not prepared. You win some, you lose some, and some times the difference is striking.

Supposedly (and it simply is not true) sports help teach 'life lessons'. We hear coaches and players babble on endlessly about this. Such life lessons are never taught when the sport turns to whining about how 'unfair' it is.

Some folks are good at sports, some are not. If the individual can't 'cut the mustard' (and what does THAT mean, anyway, LOL?) then they should seek out something that they actually do well. We all have talents, but we all do not have a talent for the same thing.

Find what you do well, and allow others to do the same. This truly encourages each of us to find our 'place' in the world. That IS fair.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    IMO, there's no difference between telling kids to not do there best and simply handing the ball to the other team. If you are going to alter the results of the game, you might as well do it openly. I would rather lose badly to a team that gave me their best than to have a better but still losing score in a game where I was patronized. Learning how to lose with dignity to a better team is just as important as learning how to be a winner. If those in charge wanted to avoid a situation like this, they should have had a mercy rule already in place (not that I agree with such a thing). This was a high school game. It is not uncommon to have college scouts at high school games. What if a player on the winning team was told to "hold back" while a scout was watching? Should that player be required to risk a potential scholarship in the name of political correctness? I don't know the rules of high school basketball in California, but it would seem to me that the problems creating this gross mismatch occurred long before this game ever took place. Suspending a coach for "excessive winning" just seems ludicrous to me unless he or she breaks the rules to do so.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Don't like the rules, don't play.

Life isn't 'fair', and it doesn't take it 'easy' on you because you're not prepared. You win some, you lose some, and some times the difference is striking.

Supposedly (and it simply is not true) sports help teach 'life lessons'. We hear coaches and players babble on endlessly about this. Such life lessons are never taught when the sport turns to whining about how 'unfair' it is.

Some folks are good at sports, some are not. If the individual can't 'cut the mustard' (and what does THAT mean, anyway, LOL?) then they should seek out something that they actually do well. We all have talents, but we all do not have a talent for the same thing.

Find what you do well, and allow others to do the same. This truly encourages each of us to find our 'place' in the world. That IS fair.

Amen. And life doesn't give you trophies just for participating.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Also, baseball and football can't be compared in this case. Baseball isn't timed and a team could ultimately run the score until they get three outs. I believe the run rule or mercy rule isn't used after little league. Basketball is timed and will eventually end.

Last edited:

unshelledpilot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2014
    Hammond
    Life isn't fair. Plain and simple.

I think it's wrong to suspend the winning coach, he just did his job. I can't speak to his training practices, but he's doing something right. There's also the flip side, the losing coach probably didn't push the kids in practice. That being said, if my kid was on the losing team, I would try and encourage them to take it as a life lesson. Sometimes you get your ass kicked, hard, just get back up, learn from it, and keep going.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    And what does that have to do with anything? Did you read it? Or am I missing something?

It's a forfeit right? ...And of a league championship too. By your logic why should a team give up a championship and playoff seeding because of some other school. Yeah, the other school had a tragedy, but hell life happens right? They should have sucked it up and played, or forfeited the championship themselves.... life lessos, after all.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    Sports teams should be taught to play 110% all the time. I for one applaud the winning team. Lord knows the world is not going to put in second stringers against you when looking for a job. The losing team should have known better. They should have either not shown up, not left the locker room at half time, or just taken their beating with a chin up.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    It's a forfeit right? ...And of a league championship too. By your logic why should a team give up a championship and playoff seeding because of some other school. Yeah, the other school had a tragedy, but hell life happens right? They should have sucked it up and played, or forfeited the championship themselves.... life lessos, after all.

It's a forfeit with circumstances nothing like the topic in this thread.

Top Bottom