Not open for further replies.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    You know it's cold when your cat is cold .... everytime I sit down somewhere, she's on top of me, stealing my warmth !

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I'm in a quandary, guys (and gal). Was thinking about taking my new AR build to Point Blank (or anywhere, really) to put the first rounds through it . BUT ..... the breakin procedure for the fancy barrel is giving me pause.
    Right now, I can't think of any place that's going to let me shoot one round, then clean the barrel, shoot another round, then clean the barrel .... and so forth !
    Certainly an indoor range like Point Blank won't allow it .... and I really can't blame them. Especially with the longer barrel, there's no way to keep it pointed down range, much less balance it on a 12" shooting table, and do the breakin procedure. :runaway:

ACK .... foiled ! Might have to wait until it warms up, then go down to my cabin .... although it would be substantially more shooting than I normally do down there, so that's not ideal either !

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    I'm in a quandary, guys (and gal). Was thinking about taking my new AR build to Point Blank (or anywhere, really) to put the first rounds through it . BUT ..... the breakin procedure for the fancy barrel is giving me pause.
    Right now, I can't think of any place that's going to let me shoot one round, then clean the barrel, shoot another round, then clean the barrel .... and so forth !
    Certainly an indoor range like Point Blank won't allow it .... and I really can't blame them. Especially with the longer barrel, there's no way to keep it pointed down range, much less balance it on a 12" shooting table, and do the breakin procedure. :runaway:

ACK .... foiled ! Might have to wait until it warms up, then go down to my cabin .... although it would be substantially more shooting than I normally do down there, so that's not ideal either !

Road trip up here to Canada. We will likely have the range all to ourselves and you can take all the time you want. Admission cost is one cup of ginseng tea.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Road trip up here to Canada. We will likely have the range all to ourselves and you can take all the time you want. Admission cost is one cup of ginseng tea.
    Oh man .... that is a tempting offer, and I can pay the entry fee of tea !!! :D
    How about sending me a PM with the zip code for the range, gangster ? I'd like to see how far that would be from my neck o' the woods.
    Still, it would have to warm up a bit. Then, I'd love to schedule it. With at least (2) boresnakes in tow, I could get a system to do it efficiently, so that we wouldn't die of boredom.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Or we can make a date at the hacienda.
    OH man, Lollipop ..... that is a sweet offer too. You're much closer, and I know the route.

The Bandit wanted to try my sweet LaRue tirgger, of course, but he'd get a chance to do that at the SGE, without having to go through the breakin part.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    You guys are GREAT ..... thanks for coming through with the kind offers. It'll still have to warm-up substantially. The older I get, the more sensitive my hands are to the cold. It must affect the arthritis , or something ?!?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    You guys are GREAT ..... thanks for coming through with the kind offers. It'll still have to warm-up substantially. The older I get, the more sensitive my hands are to the cold. It must affect the arthritis , or something ?!?

Stupid question, but you would be cleaning it from the chamber end, correct? Would seem it could be done at most ranges and kept pointing down range, without any need to step in front of the line, muzzle, etc.

That said, I haven't done that with an AR, but would think you could do it and keep it pointed down range. Obviously would want to go when the range would not be busy and discuss before hand with the range master. I also would not necessarily want to go somewhere and pay by the hour to do it as it will take a chunk of time.

Years ago when I had my bolt gun (which would be a bit easier) and was breaking it in, I think I remember removing the bolt and cleaning it between shots at Atterbury from the chamber. Range still had to be hot for me to touch the gun, but don't remember any issues.

Could be I'm missing something, as it has been quite a while since I have shot much centerfire rifle and quite a bit longer since I broke one in.

Of course, it would be much easier at Patience's place or mcapo's.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Good night at the range and I’m still breathing so progress.

-Ran 200 mini-mags through a 10/22 trying to get the action to smooth out. It ran great today, unlike last weekend where it choked left and right. KIDD trigger kit in it was perfect. I’m trying hard to enjoy a relatively stock rifle, this one needs peep sights though.

-Shadow Orange was awesome. Perfect trigger, smooth as silk. I was depstaly reminded that I haven’t been to the range with a 9mm in awhile. It wasn’t a pretty target.

-CZ P-01 with a Kadet Kit is a giggle. I’m going to have to put a heavier hammer spring back in it. It wasn’t quite reliable, I expected it.

-CZ 457 Pro Varmint. I have a few rimfire rifles. I don’t have one that competes with this one. It has the best trigger I’ve felt on a rimfire. And it shoots. The only thing it didn’t group well with (at 25 yards) was a Winchester option that was in the 1150fps range. Otherwise, if I stayed with a standard velocity option it would group them. I need more distance to really see it can do. CZ knocked it out of the park on this one.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    Good night at the range and I’m still breathing so progress.

-Ran 200 mini-mags through a 10/22 trying to get the action to smooth out. It ran great today, unlike last weekend where it choked left and right. KIDD trigger kit in it was perfect. I’m trying hard to enjoy a relatively stock rifle, this one needs peep sights though.

-Shadow Orange was awesome. Perfect trigger, smooth as silk. I was depstaly reminded that I haven’t been to the range with a 9mm in awhile. It wasn’t a pretty target.

-CZ P-01 with a Kadet Kit is a giggle. I’m going to have to put a heavier hammer spring back in it. It wasn’t quite reliable, I expected it.

-CZ 457 Pro Varmint. I have a few rimfire rifles. I don’t have one that competes with this one. It has the best trigger I’ve felt on a rimfire. And it shoots. The only thing it didn’t group well with (at 25 yards) was a Winchester option that was in the 1150fps range. Otherwise, if I stayed with a standard velocity option it would group them. I need more distance to really see it can do. CZ knocked it out of the park on this one.

Productive night.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom