Not open for further replies.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    YouTube is your friend. Look up Friday night steel.

There are 5 stages. Each stage has 3 strings of fire. Each string of fire will consist of 5-6 targets that need hit. How many rounds that takes is up to you. 1 mag per string plus 1 spare is my personal minimum.

1. So, 5 rounds of shooting 5-6 steel targets.
    2. Do you shoot all 5 in succession? Or after 1 stage, you put your gun up and step away? (later to reload for another stage, or round of shooting).
    3. If so, why do some say you need 5 magazines? Is there a limit to how many rounds a person has in a magazine: I thought I read where it depends on what "class" you entered.
    4. It surely couldn't take more than 15-18 rounds to hit 5-6 targets? (3 rounds per steel allowing for 2 misses each)
    5. Perhaps it takes 5 or 6 rounds for each target when going for speed? My ignorance abounds.
    6. Is it better to go for speed and use more rounds to hit all 5-6 targets, or slow down and take less rounds? Part of the "computation" that I have no idea about.
    7. I suppose you just have to do it and figure out later what the best approach is depending on how bad a person is. :lmfao:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    1. So, 5 rounds of shooting 5-6 steel targets.
    2. Do you shoot all 5 in succession? Or after 1 stage, you put your gun up and step away? (later to reload for another stage, or round of shooting).
    3. If so, why do some say you need 5 magazines? Is there a limit to how many rounds a person has in a magazine: I thought I read where it depends on what "class" you entered.
    4. It surely couldn't take more than 15-18 rounds to hit 5-6 targets? (3 rounds per steel allowing for 2 misses each)
    5. Perhaps it takes 5 or 6 rounds for each target when going for speed? My ignorance abounds.
    6. Is it better to go for speed and use more rounds to hit all 5-6 targets, or slow down and take less rounds? Part of the "computation" that I have no idea about.
    7. I suppose you just have to do it and figure out later what the best approach is depending on how bad a person is. :lmfao:

The best way to approach this is like you would the first day of class as an eager student.
    Show up
    Bring what you're told
    Learn what you're taught
    And most importantly, enjoy the act of learning.

*disclaimer * I have never shot in a competition, I have no clue what I'm talking about, as usual. Just throwing out my :twocents:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Bring her...she can help load mags between stages.

1. :rofl:You have no idea how funny that is!
    2. We are opposites in so many ways. She won't even ride in my convertible, or in the past, on my motorcycles (had over 20). :dunno:
    3. But, despite our polarity in personalities, the marriage works independent of my MCs, roadsters and gun hobbies. :scratch:
    4. Yes, life is full of mysteries.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The best way to approach this is like you would the first day of class as an eager student.
    Show up
    Bring what you're told
    Learn what you're taught

1. Very well said, and which is why I know I would love it no matter how poor my 1st showing would be b/c I know I would improve: it's what I do. :laugh:
    2. It's very well why I've enjoyed my gun hobby the past 2ish years.
    3. The learning curve is my idea of fun: starting something outside my sphere of "expertise" and learning to become more knowledgeable.
    4. I have done that with many things in my life from collecting antique books, collecting comic books (when my son was young), Motorcycles, scooters (big ones), and etc. That's why people call them hobbies. Life has been quite stressful at times in my teaching career. Instead of drinking (like some of my fellow teachers), I would go on 1-2 hours MC rides every day, and that's after driving to work on a MC for years every day (yes, through the winter sometimes: my idea of fun).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    'Night all: thanks for the info!
    Today was my first full day of work in about 2 weeks, so I don't want to avoid my bedtime.
    But, I felt good today: Sat. I "turned the corner."

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   1
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    My first stage ever at FNS was non dominate hand (right hand for me).
    It all seemed pretty easy after that.
    One note about .22
    On one stage the last round went into a big plate as the stopper.
    I put 3 or 4 rounds into the stopper before Mr Frame the R O told me I was hitting it.
    I could not hear the .22 impact on the big plate.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    One note about .22
    I put 3 or 4 rounds into the stopper before Mr Frame the R O told me I was hitting it.

I did a little weak hand shooting when 88 was restricted to one hand. Quickly found out that was a skill I lost twenty years ago....

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...One note about .22

You already know this but doddg may not.

Generally in steel matches you are allowed to ask the RO to call your hits and misses and this is a good way for new shooters to be sure.

I have found some targets/hits can be difficult to tell even with a 9mm.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Morning all... :coffee:

Show up
    Bring what you're told
    Learn what you're taught

*disclaimer * I have never shot in a competition, I have no clue what I'm talking about, as usual. Just throwing out my :twocents:

Well said, that actually works for most things in life ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    One note about .22

I did a little weak hand shooting when 88 was restricted to one hand. Quickly found out that was a skill I lost twenty years ago....

1. What? "weak hand???" :scratch: Never read about that: it just gets more "fun." :ugh:
    2. I guess I'll have to practice shooting with my left hand for the 1st time in my life. :dunno:

You already know this but doddg may not.

Generally in steel matches you are allowed to ask the RO to call your hits and misses and this is a good way for new shooters to be sure.

I have found some targets/hits can be difficult to tell even with a 9mm.

3. Thanks for the heads-up, gmcttr: at least I'd read about that. :coffee:

4. By the way, for the tea-drinkers: this is my tea day (I take a thermos of coffee or tea to work every day), and I have no idea what flavor the wife gave me today.
    5. I had asked her for something besides the ginger that I've been drinking for 2 yrs going on 3.
    6. Got to get ready for work.
    :ingo:

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    Morning ya'll. Let's see, it's Tuesday, I have to see doc @0700.... on Michigan ave. In downtown C****go.... awesome...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom