doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Irish whiskey.

Doddg, maybe if you didn't reply to 5 posts in a single post...

I only do that b/c when I first started here nearly 2 yrs. ago and I was responding to each post separately, I was told not to take up the space and post using the "multi-post" feature.
    I was trying to learn and do as instructed. :dunno:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I only do that b/c when I first started here nearly 2 yrs. ago and I was responding to each post separately, I was told not to take up the space and post using the "multi-post" feature.
    I was trying to learn and do as instructed. :dunno:
    Yeah don't worry about that. Thats why your posts are confusing and hard to follow. I mean mine are too but im just ****ing nuts so people just ignore me ;)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    doddg, there is no harm in going to any kind of "action" pistol event as a spectator. That style of shooting is much different than standing at a line on the range punching paper.

I have been involved with firearms since I was a kid and when I got back into shooting after what seemed like a lifetime of not shooting, I spectated many events: Steel Challenge, ICORE, IDPA, CASS, 3-gun, etc. I just squaded up, put my eye and ear protection on and spent the day observing.

Sure, a couple times I wished I had brought my gear and people even offered to let me use theirs. But I really wanted that first time without a firearm to learn, to be able to study the nuances of what the RO's and shooters were doing, what was getting people DQ'd and/or procedurals, etc. I wanted to see how people were geared up, what they shot, what holsters, etc.

The nice thing about doing this is being able to decide before investing time and money what you have an interest in. I knew right away that CASS and 3-gun were out for me. I also figured out that steel challenge is a good way to start since you take out the movement aspect.

Safety is number one. Remember the rules and personally enforce them at all times and you will be okay.

Thanks for your helpful insight: very practical advice. :thumbsup:
    As anyone who has shot with me, they know I am careful and deliberate, as is my style.
    I don't mind going and just watching to learn, but I have been told just to show up and participate, and now, with all this negativism: that has changed.
    Lesson learned about asking too many questions online instead of privately.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Thanks for your helpful insight: very practical advice. :thumbsup:
    As anyone who has shot with me, they know I am careful and deliberate, as is my style.
    I don't mind going and just watching to learn, but I have been told just to show up and participate, and now, with all this negativism: that has changed.
    Lesson learned about asking too many questions online instead of privately.
    I think your perception of yourself as a shooter versus reality may surprise you. I see you say a lot " as anyone that has shot with me knows I'm very safe". Maybe thats what you need to do is start asking people afterwards for their frank opinions and observations. And I hope they will be honest with you. Because Ive heard youre dangerous as **** and speaking for ME personally I will never shoot with you. Thats on them to tell you, dont send me a PM asking me whos told me that. I dont come from a competition background I come from the military and security contracting background, but I cant see the process of training as it relates to learning as being much different. If you don't truly analyze your weaknesses then you can never fix them. If your foundation is weak the building will crumble. If you take a serious class, they're going to give you some serious **** if you make a safety violation. You may not even be able to finish the class depending on what it is or how many times. Same in competition. If you break that invisible line, you're DQ'd and thats it, go home. And honestly thats the best case scenario. Worse case is you ****ing kill someone.
    You want frank honest criticisms and say you welcome it. Well there, I just gave you some of maybe the most honest that you've had, or maybe you havent been listening before. I hope you use it and grow

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I think your perception of yourself as a shooter versus reality may surprise you. I see you say a lot " as anyone that has shot with me knows". Maybe thats what you need to do is start asking people afterwards for their frank opinions and observations. And I hope they will be honest with you. Because Ive heard youre dangerous as **** and speaking for ME personally I will never shoot with you. Thats on them to tell you, dont send me a PM asking me whos told me that. I dont come from a competition background I come from the military and security contracting background, but I cant see the process of training as it relates to learning as being much different. If you don't truly analyze your weaknesses then you can never fix them. If your foundation is weak the building will crumble. If you take a serious class, they're going to give you some serious **** if you make a safety violation. You may not even be able to finish the class depending on what it is or how many times. Same in competition. If you break that invisible line, you're DQ'd and thats it, go home. And honestly thats the best case scenario. Worse case is you ****ing kill someone.
    When we went to our USPSA event, what did we talk about on the way down? Let's not get DQ'd. That was our primary goal, and we succeeded.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Doddg, you are the man. Posting reviews of different guns and pictures of the groupings. You can't get this stuff from online reviews because their motivation is to sell it. Only jammed 3 times but it's a great gun.
    You've quickly become one of the top contributors of quality posts. You are part of the fabric that makes ingo run. Just remember this going forward. You belong here.

Oh good lord do not encourage him...........................:faint:

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    ]

You've seen H45??? I'm not kissing him....

...but, yea, I am a simple person. I do best with simple comments. I don't come here to think too much or get too stressed out. We all have life to do that for us.
    Preach on Deacon!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    When we went to our USPSA event, what did we talk about on the way down? Let's not get DQ'd. That was our primary goal, and we succeeded.
    Exactly! And I knew yours and my attention to safety was already super high but their rules for their range were a step further even so we were in essence having to retrain our caveman brain and we won! We made it. We had a blast too.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    ]

You've seen H45??? I'm not kissing him....

...but, yea, I am a simple person. I do best with simple comments. I don't come here to think too much or get too stressed out. We all have life to do that for us.

More than once I've told the spouse that she's over-thinking the situation. The same seems to be happening here.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom