• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    One of you Canadians should pick this up for LE. :stickpoke:

A good thought but to drive that distance I would want a larger quantity. Drove to northeast Ohio once for 2500 pounds.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Morning folks!

[QUOTE post: 9049260, member: 43487"]Someday, I hope to have big-boy toys, like ya'all
    .... but for now, I only have a break-barrel air rifle *(and a Tuff Cloth). ;)

i-skN8jjK-XL.jpg

The stand is seriously nice, as I'd hoped. It'll come in handy, at the range, and at home. :alright:

That would be more handy at the S/FGE for rifles than a table
    [/QUOTE]

Exactly my thoughts.....a much more efficient use of space !

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I am little worried about next week.

After have a suppressor stamp arrive after 12 months, my brass showed up after three days of "out for delivery" and I had a three gun Friday. Yes - I know two of the guns are plastic but one is a 16 gauge and one is 10mm.

e4bf23562951539844819e6ab67484b4.jpg
    Wow....a BIG day for you. Excellent !

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Major win for me today. Was going to fix the new noise coming from the front of my big truck engine that started yesterday, but apparently it fixed itself during the night… I did however get the heat fixed that stopped working in my small truck a month or so ago. Fuse and a resistor.

Now we wait for my targets to show up so I can start fabricating my target stand.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Major win for me today. Was going to fix the new noise coming from the front of my big truck engine that started yesterday, but apparently it fixed itself during the night… I did however get the heat fixed that stopped working in my small truck a month or so ago. Fuse and a resistor.

Now we wait for my targets to show up so I can start fabricating my target stand.
    Wanna make me some posts and hangers for some small silhouettes Mr. Mouse donated to the range?

I'll pay. I am cheap...but I'll pay.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Ok fellas. Question time. My oldest is Gonna be 6 later this summer and it’s been on my mind for a few years… But I wanna get some insight from those that have been there.

What did you teach your children to shoot with? I’ve got a few ideas in my head, but interested to hear others thoughts, opinions and experiences.
    A few weeks ago I lamented that I was missing out on the COVID experience. I can cross that off my bucket list. Just getting out of the fog and catching up on this thread … holy cow, you’ve all been busy!

@RustyHornet … started my oldest daughter with a single shot Chipmunk when she was 5 yrs. old. My son started with a single shot Crickett, also at age 5. My youngest daughter started with the Chipmunk when she was 5. By the time I got to the third one, the desire to buy each their own rifle was gone as we were on a much tighter budget.

Anyhow, they very quickly outgrew this size rifle and we moved into Ruger 10/22’s and Marlin 795’s and 60’s. A little bit of shotgunning and pistols were worked in over time. But the range sessions became few and far between due to other interests they developed.

Skip ahead to late teen years and my youngest earned her Rifleman status as did my son. The oldest hasn’t got back into firearms, but also doesn’t mind coming to the range on occasion. The youngest is still the most active with firearms.

One thing that I wish I had known when we started … Check eye dominance. Oldest two are left-handed, left eyed. Youngest is right-handed, so I figured right eye dominant … WRONG … this led to some early frustration, but we both learned and moved on.

When we started with the rifles both small and larger, it was done off of a bench. As they progressed, it was with slings and field positions. Pistols were scary at first but became a favorite of all once they could handle the weight of the pistol at the end of their arms … what seems like nothing in weight to me is a ton to a 90 lb. girl. Learning proper stances with weight forward and short shooting strings helped a bunch.

Targets were BIG and REACTIVE for the longest time. Balloons filled with baby powder were a big hit. Spinning targets (metal and self-healing plastic type) followed by standard hanging metal targets became the norm for our range time. They didn’t appreciate the use of paper targets until they started learning how to shoot for accuracy. By the time they were shooting for accuracy, the reactive targets were also much smaller … used shotgun hulls were cheap and plentiful and at 10 yds. with the pistols plenty challenging. The same hulls were shot at 50 yds. with rifles to the enjoyment of all.

For the most part, they all worked with iron sights for all firearm platforms. I had a red dot on a rifle and a pistol that they liked. The youngest decided to move to a scope on her rifle due to her cross-eye dominance issue.

That’s about all for the moment. Sorry for the long post but is sounded like you were looking for some insights and this has helped me remember how it all began so that when my granddaughter turns 5 next year, Grandpa is ready to get her started.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom