The CZickness XLIII prepping for winter.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Those I've not seen, the rifles I'm thinking of look like smaller falling block single shots. That looks like what is called a "tip up".

Smith and Wesson made a number of these, but I've never seen one from Marlin.
    They do look very similar to S&W's right down to the frame flair at the top of the grip, Marlin also made revolvers that looked identical to H&R's as well. Dixie Gun Works sells a sort of conversion kit for .32 Rimfire but I don't know anything about it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    That means renting a storage unit. . . . Or actually parting with some stuff. :stickpoke: ;)

I’ve been getting much better at parting with stuff. There’s hardly a week that goes by when I am not worrying about whether or not I’ve over loaded the garbage bin. Last week, it was full of garage stuff that had accumulated, like old water pumps for a ‘60s era Fiat, used but decent brake rotors from my F150 and a scrap alternator that might have come off a car that has long since departed.

The basement demo bags are getting filled with stuff like old computer books and other computer junk that I wouldn’t trust even if I wanted to try to use it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Yesterday, I burned 150 rounds out at MCFG doing 3 round drills from the draw. This was at 5 yards into a 12” circle. I was using a shot timer and recording the results which were dumped in a spreadsheet where I generated some graphs afterwards. I had 4 pistols with me to see how they stacked up and I mixed up the order several times to try to eliminate the benefit of the last gun being shot when I was warmed up and the first one shot cold.

The guns I had with me were my P229 Elite, an SP01 Phantom, a P10C and the SP01 Compact (99021). End result was that I shot the P10C the best and P229 the worst but all were within a quarter of a second of each other overall. First shot with a jacket averaged between 2.63 to 2.71 seconds with the Phantom leading and SP01 Compact trailing the rest. Without a jacket, times averaged between 1.78 and 1.98 with the P10C leading and P229 trailing.

Splits were typically around .25 seconds but the SP01 Compact was fastest with an average .22 split. The extra weight makes a difference there. The P10C was .24 with the Phantom and P229 at .25.

Time to first shot suffered on the P229 due to grip issues. I didn’t feel like I was getting a proper grip and would readjust during the draw stroke. The numbers showed the grip issues I was feeling.

Overall, I suck. But, I have a baseline to work from. While I tended to shoot the P10C the best, none were really too far off the mark. Next up will be the same test using .40 and .357 Sig to get a real number on what those cost in terms of time, if there is one.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Found a place on Ebay that's going to make a period holster for my Whitney, it's in the middle between the Remington on top and Colt on the bottom. I was looking for something along the lines of a "Slim Jim" style with a plain belt. It shoots well for a 170 year old revolver, at some time in it's life a brass and nickle front sight was added making it easier for me to see. Timing is spot on although there is a slight hitch when cocking the hammer, a result of my having to use modified Pietta 1858 parts to get it running.

Only decision on this gun will be to try and even out the patina so it isn't so spotty. Mr. Coker's revolver might see another 170 years.compare.jpg

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    Yesterday, I burned 150 rounds out at MCFG doing 3 round drills from the draw. This was at 5 yards into a 12” circle. I was using a shot timer and recording the results which were dumped in a spreadsheet where I generated some graphs afterwards. I had 4 pistols with me to see how they stacked up and I mixed up the order several times to try to eliminate the benefit of the last gun being shot when I was warmed up and the first one shot cold.

The guns I had with me were my P229 Elite, an SP01 Phantom, a P10C and the SP01 Compact (99021). End result was that I shot the P10C the best and P229 the worst but all were within a quarter of a second of each other overall. First shot with a jacket averaged between 2.63 to 2.71 seconds with the Phantom leading and SP01 Compact trailing the rest. Without a jacket, times averaged between 1.78 and 1.98 with the P10C leading and P229 trailing.

Splits were typically around .25 seconds but the SP01 Compact was fastest with an average .22 split. The extra weight makes a difference there. The P10C was .24 with the Phantom and P229 at .25.

Time to first shot suffered on the P229 due to grip issues. I didn’t feel like I was getting a proper grip and would readjust during the draw stroke. The numbers showed the grip issues I was feeling.

Overall, I suck. But, I have a baseline to work from. While I tended to shoot the P10C the best, none were really too far off the mark. Next up will be the same test using .40 and .357 Sig to get a real number on what those cost in terms of time, if there is one.
    Very interesting, 88'. :thumbsup: From reading , it appears to me that it would be a 'draw' between those (4). Somewhat surprising (to me), was that the P10C could hang with the bigger dogs.

hANNAbONE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Des Moines, Iowa
    Found a place on Ebay that's going to make a period holster for my Whitney, it's in the middle between the Remington on top and Colt on the bottom. I was looking for something along the lines of a "Slim Jim" style with a plain belt. It shoots well for a 170 year old revolver, at some time in it's life a brass and nickle front sight was added making it easier for me to see. Timing is spot on although there is a slight hitch when cocking the hammer, a result of my having to use modified Pietta 1858 parts to get it running.

Only decision on this gun will be to try and even out the patina so it isn't so spotty. Mr. Coker's revolver might see another 170 years.View attachment 173976

BEING LAID UP WITH COVID, I've had ample time to watch a movie or football etc. I watched for the first time in a very long time The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

These rods up there ^^^^ are indicative of that iron that was in the movie. Loved every minute of it.!!

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    BEING LAID UP WITH COVID, I've had ample time to watch a movie or football etc. I watched for the first time in a very long time The Good The Bad & The Ugly.

These rods up there ^^^^ are indicative of that iron that was in the movie. Loved every minute of it.!!

That's one of my favorite of all-time movies, Deacon.
    Where have you been, young'in ? ;)

How goes your Covid battle today, Mandingo ?

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey

For the Clint Eastwood music lovers here:

Pro tip: turn up the volume.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom