• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Now that we have fast internet here I've been thinking of building something like a GOPRO cam on a hat with headset and mic that would connect to a Zoom conference. I could lease the hat to companies and someone could put it on keeping thier hands free and allowing me to see exactly what is going on. I could guide them to solutions, something I do when I'm there in person now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Now that we have fast internet here I've been thinking of building something like a GOPRO cam on a hat with headset and mic that would connect to a Zoom conference. I could lease the hat to companies and someone could put it on keeping thier hands free and allowing me to see exactly what is going on. I could guide them to solutions, something I do when I'm there in person now.
    Probably cheaper than a hololens. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/hololens

Then you could charge extra for when you do have to go onsite (as a "premium" service) vs being remote support.

Probably could make some cool youtube videos of six gun repairs and make some money that way too.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    After 16 years I said no more. No longer in support or in an Operations based role. Normally work around 30 hours a week now ;)
    Well, I'm not "supposed" to be either. Just depends on how deep in it my customer is. When they need a throat to choke, I'm one of 2 for that purpose, depending on what kind of issues they are having. Problem is, I'm not the guy that actually fixes stuff anymore, but get to take the beating, while getting folks that can.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There are so few people involved with industrial chemicals these days it's scary, old guys like me have all retired and young people work in cleaner fields. The old dirty work is all now done in china. Recently I fixed a glue problem a company had when their vendor discontinued the product they were using, simple really if you understood how it worked, but the vendor's representative had no idea where to start and really didn't care.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    Well, I'm not "supposed" to be either. Just depends on how deep in it my customer is. When they need a throat to choke, I'm one of 2 for that purpose, depending on what kind of issues they are having. Problem is, I'm not the guy that actually fixes stuff anymore, but get to take the beating, while getting folks that can.
    I'm in System Administration. We have recently added an overnight team, and are adding a weekend team. So the overnight calls have dropped. However, I am the escalation point this week if things go really sideways.

At one point I got to the point where I wasn't on call, but I was the escalation point for all my guys.

Sometimes I think about going back towards management, or Architecture again. Though mostly I miss Network engineering.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'm in System Administration. We have recently added an overnight team, and are adding a weekend team. So the overnight calls have dropped. However, I am the escalation point this week if things go really sideways.

At one point I got to the point where I wasn't on call, but I was the escalation point for all my guys.

Sometimes I think about going back towards management, or Architecture again. Though mostly I miss Network engineering.
    Yep, was a sysadmin years ago myself, and as you say got to be an escalation point. There were times in my career where it was actually easier to work nights when I was on call instead of just ending up working all day and all night.

At one point I was an operations and technical lead. Had responsibility for the people breaking stuff during the night shift, and having to fix it. That wasn't fun, but learned a lot.

Back in the day of pagers, I would wake up hearing phantom pager sounds. Took me a long time to stop hearing that thing in my head.

Those days are gone for me, but now get to deal with customer escalations.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I spent very little of my career to date in system admin roles. Most of my time was spent in system development and that carried just a bit of on-call work. My pain point was mostly release weekends where you were expected to pull a normal week, then spend the weekend doing release checkouts. My favorite people were the ones that were nowhere to be found when user acceptance testing was happening but that suddenly found the time to pull all sorts of odd scenarios out in testing at release check out. Favorites…

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Attended a Fort Wayne Tincaps game last night thanks to my older brother. He was doing a baseball card event for his business and the owner of the Tincaps donated the suite for him to use.

Midwest Box Breaks

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom