gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Morning

Got lost in research last night looking at barrel tuners. Pretty interesting stuff in regards to barrel harmonics. It seems they can really help with rimfire shooters since they can't tune a load to the barrel, they can tune the barrel to the load. Poked around looking at several different designs and how they're attached to the barrel. Neat stuff.

This is one that interests me the most, but my gun funds are still depleted for now.

https://www.kineticsecuritysolutions.com/products/adaptive-tuning-system-ats

A whole lot less expensive to play with...

Stupid system will not let me post a link this morning. No suggestions needed as I've already tried them all.

Search for this...LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Dampener

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy

Stupid system will not let me post a link this morning. No suggestions needed as I've already tried them all.

I have the LimbSaver Sharpshooter X-Ring Barrel Deresonator which I believe is the same thing. I haven't tested it yet. I got it for my Bergara.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

I see how you would move that to different areas of the barrel, lengthwise, but I would think that would limit the fine tuning a bit. From my understanding of the ones I looked at, you're rotating (clocking) a weight around in different locations. Maybe I misunderstood their design.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Squirrel hasn’t been around yet but we have a stare off going.

dd0bae41f89871644de87726dbe20292.jpg
    I despise chipmunks. Your cat and I would get along great.

There was a real friendly cat (and dogs) at the SGE, IIRC. Our shop cat is super unfriendly. We had two dogs that passed away about a year apart in 2018 and 2019. I've never cried so hard in my life.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I despise chipmunks. Your cat and I would get along great.

There was a real friendly cat (and dogs) at the SGE, IIRC. Our shop cat is super unfriendly. We had two dogs that passed away about a year apart in 2018 and 2019. I've never cried so hard in my life.
    It's easy to get attached to the little critters! Our little dog passed away in my arms 4 years ago.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I've known a couple guys who've glued their 10/22 bbl into the stock and free floated the action with pretty surprising results.
    That guy I mentioned the other day has a strange looking rig setup that way. The barrel is clamped in like 3 places to a huge fugly piece of wood and the action is not.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Thinking about this barrel tuner further. I wonder if the barrel harmonics could be a reason why I've had mixed results with suppressors on my 22 rifles. Depending on which ammo used, the suppressor either helped or hurt group sizes. My centerfire rifles don't seem to care either way.

I never even thought about trying a barrel tuner when I was playing around with the Tippmann rifle. It has a much skinnier barrel than the 457 or Kidd rifles.

If anyone remembers, I found some interesting results with this little experiment.

*EDIT. Just measured them and suppressor weighs 5.8oz, flash hider 2.1oz and thread protector 0.4oz.

20210305_185710 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom