The Czickness LII.2…..the sunshine and roses version.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Well….I survived into 2024…..luckily wife made the 3 left turns from the party to our garage. It’s our private lane, so no drinking and driving here. I had the honor (or misfortune?) of drinking shots with my Chicago neighbor/buddy for every cheese head score last night….lol. Then he announced we had to do the Packer’s won the game celebration shots…. In between this, his wife provides “Barbee Pirate Punch”, in an adult 40 or 50 oz “sippy” cup, with straw. Now the snack bar helped, too much good food!!! (Including Jon’s smoked ham, sausage, steak strips, these little bacon wrapped goodness)… 3 types of homemade dipping sauces…
    Drinking WATER and I think I’m having a salad soon…..lol

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I’m hoping to get a lot more done to the Firebird this year. But I need to learn to prep and paint. I’ve read up on painting and watched a lot of tutorials. I just need to jump in and learn by doing it and re-doing it.
    Let me know if you have any questions. I built a “paint booth” in my home shop. Have yet to use it, due to lack of heat, but there is a Scout out there just waiting for me to final prime…

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’m hoping to get a lot more done to the Firebird this year. But I need to learn to prep and paint. I’ve read up on painting and watched a lot of tutorials. I just need to jump in and learn by doing it and re-doing it.
    Let me know if you have any questions. I built a “paint booth” in my home shop. Have yet to use it, due to lack of heat, but there is a Scout out there just waiting for me to final prime…
    I’ve painted a backhoe and tile plow in my shop with excellent success.
    I painted a car and it was a disaster. Decided two stage and I don’t get along.

Backhoe sold for more than I paid for it because of the paint. But I’m going to have to learn automotive or pay to have it done, my FJ project needs to make major progress in ‘24.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I probably will have some questions when get I back to it this spring. Like “what type/brand of primer, paint, clear do you like? What do you recommend that is available to non-professionals? What type/brands should I avoid?”

This will be going on a mix of metal, plastic and fiberglass.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I probably will have some questions when get I back to it this spring. Like “what type/brand of primer, paint, clear do you like? What do you recommend that is available to non-professionals? What type/brands should I avoid?”

I am dreading the day Tom at Napa in Lebanon retires. He is very well known as a great paint guy and has given me some excellent advice and guidance on my few projects.

I’m sure there are others around but Tom is just so accessible and helpful. He will be hard to replace.

If you’re close to being ready to paint it’d be worth paying him a visit. He’s always on the customers right near the end of the counter. Just a really good dude.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN

I’ve had good luck with all PPG products. As well as Sherwin Williams. I’d just find a paint and body store that seems like they know what they are doing and see what they have. Lots of the “cheaper” stuff is soooo much better now than years gone by!

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    If you're going over bare metal, a good metal-etch primer is a must. Like Rusty said, PPG, S-W are good brands. We use Axalta(Dupont) at our shop. I would advise sticking to one brand from start to finish. Follow the Technical Data Sheet for each product for flash times, etc.

A good paint supply store will lead you in the right direction.

Firehawk

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Lebanon
    I am dreading the day Tom at Napa in Lebanon retires. He is very well known as a great paint guy and has given me some excellent advice and guidance on my few projects.

I’m sure there are others around but Tom is just so accessible and helpful. He will be hard to replace.

If you’re close to being ready to paint it’d be worth paying him a visit. He’s always on the customers right near the end of the counter. Just a really good dude.
    I’ll look for him when I’m ready to paint. Other than that the only other local automotive paint supply I know of is O’Reilly’s in Brownsburg.

@RustyHornet @Bennettjh
    Thanks for the advice!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom