The [Current Year] General Political/Salma Hayek discussion thread, part 4!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Send me $19 even, and I'll give you 2 half dollar pieces, and send Pelosi AND Schumer a brick myself.

Was $7.95 for 1. I like cool coins, and yours wont have Trump on it. I should've got 1 for you too, since i know how much you love him!

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota

Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    On Cortez's 70 percent tax plan....
    add in State Tax, Sales Tax, and others, and you'll have...

The swedish writer Astrid Lindgren had to pay 102% tax in 1974
    The swedish writer Astrid Lindgren had to pay 102% tax in 1974

She wrote Pippi Longstocking.

Do you know what the rich are really good at? Staying rich. If a 70% tax ever did become a reality, I'd bet my bottom dollar that those affected would find loopholes, even if it meant a change in citizenship.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Dude, I don't know how to get there if we're not there. I used FAIR's (Federation for American Immigration Reform) estimate of the cost of illegals already in country. Their methodology looks sound, they use data from Pew but everybody on the left hates them and says their numbers are cooked ( but it couldn't be that those people have an interest in shading the numbers to look as minimal as possible, eh?)

I used a range for the numbers of illegals that encompassed several source's estimates, but none from what I would consider left wing orgs

I used USCBP's (US Customs and Border Patrol) numbers on action at the border

And I used USCBP numbers combined with El Paso PD numbers for changes in border jumping wrought by El Paso's wall (Crime reported down 39% after the wall up in ELP, by the way)

I really don't know who you think are the reasonable people on both sides and I'm not even sure if there are reasonable people left on the left. I prefer people who keep and/or use actual hard data, although some things have to be estimated or extrapolated. And don't be pedantic about games. "The ball is in your court" is a common turn of phrase meaning it's your turn to respond/reply - it obviously doesn't mean we're playing a game involving a ball because we are not even in the same state

If you need time to try to find some way out of the corner you painted yourself into, just take it - 'cause it sure seems like you are playing games or playing for time

Corners? Ain’t no walls in this conversation other than the ones you’re imagining. You throw out some statistics and some back of napkin doodling and call that a reasoned argument? Where’s the other side of it?

It’s okay if that satisfies you. I strongly suspect you were for the wall before you ever looked at any numbers. You have a conclusion you’ve already made, then you look for evidence to support it. Make the strongest case for the other side of it.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Why yes, yes I do call that a reasoned argument. The way I see it, you're free to question the statistics themselves, the sources I chose or even the conclusions I drew

If you look all the way back to post 3173, you're the one saying the wall is more expensive than its possible utility without a shred of
    corroboration. I made a counter argument (still waiting for an answer to 3180, by the way)

If you wish to attack the quality of that argument, fire away. The quality of your arguments, however, are not up to their usual standards, mostly unsubstantiated opinion and innuendo. Did K14 go on holiday again and hire you to keep his hand in?

Make the strongest case for the other side? That's your job, you ain't Socrates and I hate that **** anyways. En-gin-eer, not PoliSci major

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The wall is not the wall. The wall is the political divider, the distraction.

Would a physical wall help prevent illegal immigration? Probably, in very small terms, percentage-wise.

That's been the historic problem with this issue. The "illegal immigration" problem includes much more than the physical escapade across our border. The problem includes what to do with employers who tacitly encourage illegal immigrants by hiring them - offering them a chance at a better life here than wherever they come from. The problem includes what to do with the multiple millions of illegal immigrants (and their children) here in the US already, who generally contribute to our society (not the statistically small number of violent criminals).

The wall does nothing to address those issues.

Using the entirety of the illegal immigrant problem to justify the wall is like using the entirety of national defense to justify a new pistol for the military. Yeah, great, it could be the best possible pistol available (likely a caliber that starts with ".45") but it doesn't begin to address the actual problem.

Trump does not appear to offer anything beyond the wall. Dems - and many Republicans - want to address the larger issue. I don't even hear Trump saying, "If you fund the wall in this amount, I'll work with you on this other stuff." Maybe he's saying that; I'm sure several INGO Trumpers will be able to direct me to where he's saying that.

I think that's a reasonable position.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    The wall is not the wall. The wall is the political divider, the distraction.

Would a physical wall help prevent illegal immigration? Probably, in very small terms, percentage-wise.

That's been the historic problem with this issue. The "illegal immigration" problem includes much more than the physical escapade across our border. The problem includes what to do with employers who tacitly encourage illegal immigrants by hiring them - offering them a chance at a better life here than wherever they come from. The problem includes what to do with the multiple millions of illegal immigrants (and their children) here in the US already, who generally contribute to our society (not the statistically small number of violent criminals).

The wall does nothing to address those issues.

Using the entirety of the illegal immigrant problem to justify the wall is like using the entirety of national defense to justify a new pistol for the military. Yeah, great, it could be the best possible pistol available (likely a caliber that starts with ".45") but it doesn't begin to address the actual problem.

Trump does not appear to offer anything beyond the wall. Dems - and many Republicans - want to address the larger issue. I don't even hear Trump saying, "If you fund the wall in this amount, I'll work with you on this other stuff." Maybe he's saying that; I'm sure several INGO Trumpers will be able to direct me to where he's saying that.

I think that's a reasonable position.

I've heard him say repeatedly that the whole immigration system needs to be addressed (tightened up). The wall (the physical wall) is just another tool in the toolbox. If we do nothing to at least slow down what we can, then the problem only continues to grow until the system can be revised, penalties for employers of illegals, better vetting, etc. implemented and so on. The wall isn't intended to be the be-all, end-all of the problem, but we shouldn't let "perfect" be the enemy of "good".

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I've heard him say repeatedly that the whole immigration system needs to be addressed (tightened up).

I remember him saying that during the campaign, but has he tied the wall financing to these other issues? Not asking confrontationally, just asking because I haven't seen him mention it in the context of the shutdown or SOTU scheduling or flight plans.

And I certainly don't expect perfection on the immigration thing. :) (I don't think such a thing exists for that problem.) But the hype about the wall is about the wall, not about the wall as a part of a larger vision of immigration reform.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I remember him saying that during the campaign, but has he tied the wall financing to these other issues? Not asking confrontationally, just asking because I haven't seen him mention it in the context of the shutdown or SOTU scheduling or flight plans.

And I certainly don't expect perfection on the immigration thing. :) (I don't think such a thing exists for that problem.) But the hype about the wall is about the wall, not about the wall as a part of a larger vision of immigration reform.

So here's a solution... The democrats give Trump the 5.7 billion on the condition that the other solutions (employer penalties, mandatory e-verify, stronger vetting, et al) get implemented. IF they're truly interested in meaningful reform beyond just "open up the borders and abolish ICE", that would be a win for them, right? Think that'll happen?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsonboys78
    Top Bottom