• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    I got into Po' Boys when I spent some time in New Orleans this past summer. I'll have to try Papa Roux's. My favorite I had down there was a shrimp Po' Boy with fried green tomatoes and Cajun Slaw... Sweet MERCY!!!!!!! :drool:

slimplmbr

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Papa does a Bacon Po' Boy. That place is AWESOME! There is a secret phrase that will get you FREE BACON on that day's special. Those of us that know the phrase are sworn to secrecy. If you get a chance to get any of the fresh from the Gulf seafood I highly recommend you try it.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Hey, the sammiches aren't the only good thing. I love their sides, especially the bread pudding. I think they still have free refills on their sides for those dining in. Since I found out he is Ingo, I'll have to leave the environs of Greenfield more often.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Never had one because I've never gotten myself to eat cole slaw.

Not sure if a Po Boy can take down a top notch breaded tenderloin though. (Stay away from the Mug N Bun pork fritter garbage they serve. It's not even fit to be called a tenderloin).

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    Never had one because I've never gotten myself to eat cole slaw.

Not sure if a Po Boy can take down a top notch breaded tenderloin though. (Stay away from the Mug N Bun pork fritter garbage they serve. It's not even fit to be called a tenderloin).

Agreed, Mug N Bun doesn't cut the mustard, and yes you should really try a PO Boy. Have them substitute something for the coleslaw or man up and try it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    A po Boy is a southern version of the sub sammich. It is made on french bread which has a hard crust and more flavorful.

Some things that can be put on a Po Boy
    Fried Catfish
    Roast Beef with gravy (messy but worth it)
    Fried Oysters
    Fried shrimp
    Ham and cheese
    Fried Crawfish

MMMM!! I think I know what I'm doin' for lunch tomorrow!

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    do tell, you are the first person I've ever heard of that was disappointed.

After all the rave reviews, maybe my expectations were a little high. Having had po' boys in NO while there for Mardi Gras I was expecting more the same.

PR was out of shrimp (little disappointed) so I chose the roast beef (should have had the catfish). My wife chose the pulled pork. While the food was good, it could have been hotter. The bread needed to be toasted or hard to soak in the flavor. The sides I can't comment on for I chose to bypass those. My wife said the red beans and rice and the slaw didn't have much flavor.

I want to thank the INGO members though for their recommendation. We are always looking for good food. :)

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    very strange as Papa is from NO and they ship fresh shrimp up from down there

they've always used their own locally baked bread, so that may be a true difference from down south.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    After all the rave reviews, maybe my expectations were a little high. Having had po' boys in NO while there for Mardi Gras I was expecting more the same.

PR was out of shrimp (little disappointed) so I chose the roast beef (should have had the catfish). My wife chose the pulled pork. While the food was good, it could have been hotter. The bread needed to be toasted or hard to soak in the flavor. The sides I can't comment on for I chose to bypass those. My wife said the red beans and rice and the slaw didn't have much flavor.

I want to thank the INGO members though for their recommendation. We are always looking for good food. :)

Physically or spice wise? I am used to pretty hot Indian food but I still noticed a bit of spicy. I think the flavor is great like it is though. To each his own I guess. And they run out of stuff quick there during lunch I guess I just took that as a feature.

P-Shooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Indianapolis

I've been a devout follower of Papa Roux for a few years, had a beer with him one night downtown at the Tomlinson Tap Room. There is a history regarding some of the things you mentioned, that I thought I should clarify just so you don't get the wrong idea about what he serves. First, the bread. When he first opened his east side location, he did offer po-boys with the hard french bread that's traditional in the south. However, he received numerous negative reviews from patrons, most of which had likely never had the pleasure of actually tasting a po-boy as they were originally made. So, in the interest of success, he switched to the softer bread he now uses. Sales improved. Next, the seafood. He only deals with one specific business for shrimp and crab in LA, Zirlotts. He was hoping to offer shrimp as a regular menu item this past year, but hurricane Isaac had other ideas. In fact, as Zirlotts is a small family operation, his wife actually drove down to help them secure the boats and what not in advance of the storm. She did return with some of their last catch, but they still took some damage, so shrimp and crap shipments have returned to the occasional status they had previously.
    I can personally vouch for the Catfish, it's the best I've had in the city so far. Spiciness can be increased if you want, used to you could ask for any item angry, or pissed off, which would increase the heat. Remember, up north, many places tone down spiciness because it's not something most ask for up here. If you're in the mood for a nice spicy stew, get an order of their Cajun garlic stew, or the Creole, a tomato based stew, with your choice of meat. The garlic is my fave, but the creole will hit you with a sweetness before kicking your teeth in, as a friend once put it lol. Speaking of meat, you might want to try the smoked sausage sometime, it's also from a place in New Orleans, Vaucressons, I think it's far superior to anything you can buy at the supermarket, and occasionally, he gets a shipment of crawfish stuffed sausage, which he usually prepares in a locally made beer, ala Sun King.
    In case you can't tell, I love this place, and I guarantee you if you're unhappy about something they will make it right. His Facebook page details most of his specials, and he's big on helping other local independent businesses. He's a big fan of Roscoes Tacos, and Jockamos Pizza, last year he had a special a few times of a Jockamos meatball po-boy, delicious. There was also a Cheeseburger po-boy, which was just awesome. And if Chicken Chili Frito Pie sounds interesting, well, you have to ask for it, won't see it on the menu ;) Give it another shot, and give the sides a try too, after all, they're included at no additional charge lol, if you don't like one, just try something else. Ok, here's a few links:

Papa Roux: Po-Boys and Cajun Food. Just like New Orleans, right at home in Indianapolis!

Jockamo Pizza

Roscoe's Tacos

Top Bottom