• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trencher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2024
    Grant County
    I'm new to this forum, but I believe some of this is perception. Most likely there are many generations represented here and each generation interacts differently. I come from a generation where sarcasm and b busting is normal and not taken personally. I've noticed other generations didn't experience this and do take it personally, even when it is not the intent. I'm sure we can all do better in our discussions.

Gunaddict

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 19, 2024
    Greenfield, IN
    I, too, have been accosted by the perceived “snobs” occasionally. I have learned to try and keep a thicker skin because there will always be individuals perceived that way on any public forum. Although, sometimes, there are very well meaning and just not great communicators. There is much to learn and a lot of good advice and opinions to help you along with whatever quest you may be on. You can also ignore or block those you may feel are not on your wavelength if you so desire. Happy hunting!!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I've had the opportunity to meet several fellow members here. Each was a completely different sort but great people all. I've had the pleasure to work on setting up a press, casted some round balls, hunted and hung out with another.
    I've really only busted someone's balls when they wrote a long missive with no punctuation and with many spellin errers. I should not have to think about what I reading that dang hard.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'd like to see all social media nuked.
    You sure? This site is considered "social media".

But yes, I think it has more negative effect especially on younger folks who can't put it down.
    I hope more schools ban phones from classrooms, kids need to learn and practice some discipline.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm new to this forum, but I believe some of this is perception. Most likely there are many generations represented here and each generation interacts differently. I come from a generation where sarcasm and b busting is normal and not taken personally. I've noticed other generations didn't experience this and do take it personally, even when it is not the intent. I'm sure we can all do better in our discussions.
    I don't know why, but your post made me think of the movie Gran Torino, specifically the scene where Clint Eastwood takes the kid to the barbershop and schools him on how to talk like a man.

Now, I don't go around dropping the F-bomb like Clint, here or in real life, but the underlying message of that scene (and the film as a whole) had a lot of validity. If there is depth of relationship and earned respect, the words themselves are received differently. But that's also hard to establish and convey via a forum post on the Internet, especially with newer members who haven't yet established themselves in the community.

Trencher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2024
    Grant County
    I don't know why, but your post made me think of the movie Gran Torino, specifically the scene where Clint Eastwood takes the kid to the barbershop and schools him on how to talk like a man.

Now, I don't go around dropping the F-bomb like Clint, here or in real life, but the underlying message of that scene (and the film as a whole) had a lot of validity. If there is depth of relationship and earned respect, the words themselves are received differently. But that's also hard to establish and convey via a forum post on the Internet, especially with newer members who haven't yet established themselves in the community.

Sarcasm and wit are hard to convey in a written format, such as this. I agree, it also, depends on the relationship with the individual. As a whole, I try to believe most people are joking around with comments. Some are gruff in speech and come across as something they are not. I would rather presume the best before thinking the worse of someone before I get to know them. In relation to the topic at hand in this thread, we all can be better in our communication.

Top Bottom