• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Marlin. Since the Remington merger, the quality of their product line has completely gone to crap. What's worse, neither Remington/Marlin nor their "authorized repair centers" have any spare parts on hand. We have two Marlin lever actions that our gunsmith could not fix (the replacement parts that took 6 weeks to arrive from Marlin did not fit and could not be made to fit), so we sent them to the nearest repair center... they have been there for a month and the techs have not even started work on them due to lack of parts. :xmad:

And I, personally, am having fits with Bushmaster (another Freedom Group company; anyone see a pattern here?) due to the shutdown of their Maine plant.

On the flipside, S&W and Ruger's customer service has always been impeccable, as has Kimber/Meprolight's.

Man I hate to hear this about Marlin. I was worried about something like this with the Remington buy-out. All my Marlins are pre-Remington and it looks like my future Marlins will come from the used market.

I've only had to send one gun back and that was a Ruger LCR. It had the return spring snap on me in a short amount of rounds. Took a few weeks but they completely fixed it. For that, I give Ruger a thumbs up on customer care. I, however, lost confidence in it and ditched it for a M&P 340.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    Taurus has a reputation for poor quality control. If you buy a Taurus gun you will either get a very good one at a low price or you will get a gun that has to go back to the repair shop.

Others may have had different experiences.

This has been my experience so far also. I have had three that were all problem guns and had to be returned multiple times until they were replaced by the factory. I know some friends who have had similar experiences and some who have had great luck and gotten an inexpensive gun that they're happy with. I personally won't buy another one, even if it's a great deal.

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    I would never buy Taurus. I'd save my :twocents: and buy S&W for revolver or Beretta/Glock for auto. Smith, Beretta, Glock are all better guns and they cost only 10-25% more if you hunt around esp for lightly used. Furthermore they hold their value whereas the Taurus does not. In fact, pre-lock smith and wessons have gone up in value year over year for the past decade or more. Simple as that.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Marlin. Since the Remington merger, the quality of their product line has completely gone to crap. What's worse, neither Remington/Marlin nor their "authorized repair centers" have any spare parts on hand. We have two Marlin lever actions that our gunsmith could not fix (the replacement parts that took 6 weeks to arrive from Marlin did not fit and could not be made to fit), so we sent them to the nearest repair center... they have been there for a month and the techs have not even started work on them due to lack of parts. :xmad:

And I, personally, am having fits with Bushmaster (another Freedom Group company; anyone see a pattern here?) due to the shutdown of their Maine plant.

On the flipside, S&W and Ruger's customer service has always been impeccable, as has Kimber/Meprolight's.

Shooter - what's been your experience with Kahr - problem/repair wise??? As you can tell - I'm taking a long look towards the CM9...

kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    taraus

had 3 revolvers and two were junk. one had misfires, sent back for repair and still would misfire. the other timing was off so far it lockes up the cylinder. the third was so so, trigger was heavy. no more taraus for me .:twocents:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I have never had a problem with any Taurus. I actually discovered 24/7 mags will work in my PT140 pro. I can't say the same for my experiences with Beretta. I would still purchase another Beretta. I just figure there was a bad apple in the bunch.

bigworm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 16, 2009
    hobart
    had a pt145 that wouldnt shoot more than two rounds without jamming then the magazine wouldnt stay in the gun had a pt92 that never had a problem

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Shooter - what's been your experience with Kahr - problem/repair wise???

I have had a few issues with my personal guns over the years, and Kahr's service has been quite satisfactory. I can't recall the last time we (Bradis) had to send a Kahr back for service.

As you can tell - I'm taking a long look towards the CM9...

Did I mention we got one in on Wednesday? ;)

Bartman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    It won't be my next gun or the next after that but sooner or later I'll end up with a Tarurus 85. I've read plenty about it, good and bad and I understand I'm running the risk of getting a lemon. But I've held one a few times at gun shows and it's about as close to perfect as any snubbie has felt in my hand. I'd rather take a shot (so to speak) than get a Smith or Ruger and try to find a grip that fits as well.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    On the Kahr, I have a CW45 and had a problem with the magazine. It went back to the factory and I got it back in 6 weeks. Now I have zero problems with it and it is now my EDC. Own 3 taurus; Judge, 689, 606 ported and I've had zero problems with. Also a Rossi M720 hammerless in ss and no issues of any kind. My best training gun is a Jimmy 380, kicks like a mule, always clean after a shoot and zero problems. This little gun has taught me alot about trigger control.

sertboy354

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    I have owned a few Taurus know no problems at all. Most of the ones i have owned where wheel guns, but i have owned a 45 pt 145 i put over a 1000 rounds throw it no problem would buy another one today

Mordred

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    I think taurus have gotten better over the years. They may have started out with just average guns, but today they are very well made guns. Im a 1911 freak and I'd take the Taurus over any other...and im not exaggerating. But thats based on a pricing issue (bang for your buck). Again same holds true for the PT 92/99s. I like them better than the Baretta's.

Bigkeger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have had two Shi-Taurus firearms and have had multiple issues woth both. Customer service was very good and the guns were returned quickly. One was sold thereafter and the other had a return trip to customer service.

Then Not recommended.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I never had anything against them, untill.....
    A freind and his wife picked up a small taurus auto brand new, we went out and shot it and after about 40 rounds the guns pretty much fell apart in his hands.
    the grips cracked, the safety spring and detend fell out, the trigger pin moved out so the the trigger spring came off and the trigger would not reset.
    He did not want to mess with it and sold it to me for $50 on the spot.
    I ordered (tried to anyway) the parts and they sent me the wrong parts a half dozen times and didn't appear to have any knowledge of the firearm or a manual for it (the manual that they send with it). I called the parts by the names and numbers given in the manual but they had no clue.
    finally I got half the parts needed and tried to fire it, thats when I discovered that the firing pin is broken.
    I never did end up getting a couple of parts (including a set of grips that I paid for) and that has been 6 months.
    they sent me the SAME wrong part 3 times......:dunno:
    So, I wouldn't buy a taurus for anything.I wouldn't trade a pack of firecrackers for one, because atleast the firecrackers will go bang... :twocents: their guns and customer service both suck!
    Thinking I will probably use this little POS for target practice.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    PT92AFS, approx 4000 rds, shoots and hits where you aim. Easy to take down to clean, mags hold 17- 9mm rounds. Has the rail for a tac lite. With a 30rd mag and tac lite attached, can provide anti felon protection for a house gun. It is a good gun to back up a 12ga pump shotgun. Had revolvers in the past no problems. Had a Rossi 357 mag Snub wish I hadn't sold. Never a problem with it after 3000 rds.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Anderson
    There just seem to be polar opposing views on this. Some people have Taurus that fire thousands of rounds without a problem. Others can't seem to get through 100 rounds without the thing disintegrating in their hands.

I did have a bit of a bad experience with Taurus already. According to their 2011 catalog it says you can buy a .22lr conversion kit for "any 800 series handgun" But in the back of the catalog it has the kits for their full size (medium frame) handguns but not the 800 series compacts which I was considering for concealed carry. I looked on their site and the 800 series of compacts haven't even been released yet, and the kits for their medium frame guns aren't to be found on the website, so I called. I was informed that they "don't make .22lr conversion kits for their handguns." I was stunned, but the tone of her answer made me think she either didn't know what she was talking about, or just wanted to get off the phone ASAP, so I didn't even bother to press the fact that it's clearly stated in their book for this year.

Their customer service seems... shady at best.

CoachStall

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    Johnson County
    Bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm last year. 800-1000 rounds and had one case ejection problem. Racked the slide and went back to shooting.

Could be the double stack mag, gun problem, or ammo issue.

I've only shot Federal and Remmington 115 grain, and the fail to eject happened with Remmington.

I also have some Fiocchi 124 Grain Hornady XTP Jacketed HP but havent shot it yet. I am nervous now that i read an earlier post in this thread, but it was with 158 grain...:twocents:

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    I have a Taurus PT1911 that I've put about 2k rounds on with no issues. I also shoot with a guy who has close to 5k on his PT1911 and the only problem he has yet to experience was his front sight falling off(!) (at the USPSA Classifier @ ACC in February)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom