• ...and so much more!
  • shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Wow!

If you have to send your gun back to Taurus, they will fix it, but they will take their sweet time doing so. Our results in getting them to send us parts so we can do our own repairs have been mixed.

jtbriles

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Outside the box
    I own 2 Taurus 9mms and I've haven't had to contact them for anything and I hope I never do. I do have a coworker that had to send a couple guns in about six weeks ago. He contacted Taurus and they paid to have them shipped in for repair. One he got back in about 2 weeks and the other took about 5 weeks. Both guns back in working order.

outnumbered

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Getting them to give you any info about progress of repairs or what was done is a small miracle...but you can't beat the cost.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Can you imagine working for Taurus customer service? God...what a thankless job that would be.

We've had two Taurus reps come through the shop in the last year. Both apologized for the company's past QC problems, insisted that things were getting better "but it would take time," and promised to get me prepaid return labels when I had Taurus guns to send back for service. Both of them were also one-hit wonders; I never heard from them again after their initial visits.

Taurus has some serious issues, and I fear for the future of the companies they have recently acquired (Heritage Mfg. and Diamondback Firearms).

That being said, we have had a sharp drop in the number of Taurus returns over the last 6 months or so, although they still lead the pack by brand, by a good margin.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    For me, when I worked in a shop, the mechanical/metallurgy/manufacturing issues were only half the problem.

The fanboys of Taurus, who championed the warranty/products and declared other better brands to be out of date and or overpriced..............those guys were the other half.

Maybe more than half.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Taurus fixed a broken safety and did some other minor work (that I didn't specifically request) at no charge. They took a couple of months to do it, but it was free. I didn't need the firearm so I didn't mind the wait. If it had been something I needed then the long turnaround time would have upset me.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Anyone ever have any experience with them? I called for a couple parts on my PT1911. They were quick, courteous, and shipped the parts immediately. :rockwoot:
    I'm with you. Bought a revolver years ago - got a discount on it because the adjsutable rear sight was sort of misaligned. Really jsut teh rear plate on the sight and did not affect its shootability.

Anyway, I called them up several years later when I decided I wanted to correct it and was prepared to buy a rear sight from them but they sent it no charge, and considering the price - quickly. May have taken a week or ten days.

armedhoosier451

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2013
    Greensburg
    Ok they told me 7 to 10 days on this sight and it actually arrived Friday much to my surprise! That was lightening fast! I will be able to put it on and go shooting before back to work on Tuesday!:rockwoot:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It's been years since I've owned any Taurus guns ( and really try not to) but they treated me right back in the mid 80's. I had a model 85 that blew up while shooting. Blew the cylinder in half and bent the top strap into a v shape. It took about 3 months to get a new gun because it was a 2" model a d there were some import problems with the 2" models. Finally settled for a 3" model and promptly sold it and never bought another one. It's funny to me how the cheaper guns nowadays have better CS than the big names. HiPoint and Keltec seem to go out of their way to make things right while Mossberg sucks and Chiappa is really nonexistent.

Cat-Herder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2009
    Fortville
    I'm returning a PT1911 for an overhaul. CS told me about 6 weeks. She was very friendly on the phone, and by her jargon was ex-military. We'll see how much they actually do to the gun, considering the laundry list of issues I would like addressed!
    Staking coming loose all over the place: recoil spring guide, plunger tube, ejector, and hammer strut pin all have come apart. The firing pin stop is a bit loose, and the extractor is clocking. The final straw was the hammer falling to half-cock when chambering the first round out of a magazine. If recocked, it would fire, but then the gun would lock up. Something definitely went out of spec between the hammer/sear/disconnector. I just don't want to get into it. If it were anything but a Taurus, I'd just order all new parts, but it's a Taurus, so I'll let them have at it. As long as it runs when I get it back, I don't really care. To put it in perspective, I bought it used off an INGO member and put probably 8000-10,000 rounds thru it since then. It's honestly been a good running gun until the last 1000 or so, and it's gone downhill quick.
    I prefer to carry a revolver, though. ha!

Sarge470

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    My son bought a used Public Defender a couple of months ago and went a little too deep into cleaning it after the first time shooting it. Never having owned a revolver before, he had removed the side plate and the guts before I walked into his room and saw what he had done. In the process, he lost a spring that Taurus couldn't sell to him because it was on a restricted parts list. They told him to box it up & send it in, so he did...they completely disassembled the gun, replaced the lost spring and the hammer, and somehow even managed to smoothe the action out a little, all in less than three weeks and free of charge. All he spent was the money to ship it to them, and he couldn't be happier with the way they treated him. On the other hand, if my Kimber breaks, I'm just S.O.L. Considering how much he spent on his Taurus and its lifetime repair warranty, as opposed to the chunk of cash I plunked down on my Kimber, complete with their "sorry about your luck" warranty, I wouldn't throw stones at Taurus.

richardraw316

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    The Danville
    I called taurus on Thursday to fix the decocker on my pt92.
    Friday 9am, I had fed ex at my door with a prepaid box for shipping.
    Tuesday 9am, fedex returned my pistol in perfect working order.
    The best cs I have ever experianced. Total time. 3 days incuding the weekend. 4 if you include the shipping.
    I can't wait to buy another taurus.

sturge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Madison County
    Ok they told me 7 to 10 days on this sight and it actually arrived Friday much to my surprise! That was lightening fast! I will be able to put it on and go shooting before back to work on Tuesday!:rockwoot:
    My PT1911 had problems with the rear sight coming loose. after 3x's returning it and almost a year later. They finally replaced the slide. Now it is flawless. best advice is to stay on top of them. They will make it right!

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I once had to involve the BATFE to get a pistol back from Taurus. They are the worst in the business and I have now gotten rid of all of their positively terrible products I once owned.
    I went over this in another thread here called "who else hates taurus". I loathe taurus and I will buy a Jennings before I buy a Taurus at this point.

Top Bottom