• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'll agree it was the norm (and felt right doing it) to show proper respect, but more so to the country and ideas as a whole, not necessarily to the dead of war.

I was all like, "yes! indeed!"... then you brought it back to the concept of "for our fallen". I'm not sure I'm on board with that. If that's the way you and others feel, that 100% OK, but to then accuse others of not respecting the fallen because they view it differently is where we divide.

I disagree wholeheartedly with kneeling, but I'm not going to accuse those that do of disrespecting those fallen in war. To do so, potentially opens you up to the counter that you disrespect those fallen to racism. (of course, I wouldn't agree with that accusation)

You mean that almost statistically insignificant number of people that have fallen to racism? I mean real-ass racism and not some perceived racism where none existed? Where it was made up out of whole cloth? That racism?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Bad google-foo, when did it become mandatory to play the national anthem before any sporting event?

I used to watch sporting events purely for the entertainment value. When they become political, for me they are no longer entertainment.
    It's never been mandatory.

3j3y5j.jpg

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I'll agree it was the norm (and felt right doing it) to show proper respect, but more so to the country and ideas as a whole, not necessarily to the dead of war.

I was all like, "yes! indeed!"... then you brought it back to the concept of "for our fallen". I'm not sure I'm on board with that. If that's the way you and others feel, that 100% OK, but to then accuse others of not respecting the fallen because they view it differently is where we divide.

I disagree wholeheartedly with kneeling, but I'm not going to accuse those that do of disrespecting those fallen in war. To do so, potentially opens you up to the counter that you disrespect those fallen to racism. (of course, I wouldn't agree with that accusation)

Good point. I honestly never thought of what the anthem might mean to me may be different to others. I guess at the end of the day it’s up to the individual to perceive it as representing whichever patriotic matter they wish to view it as, and show their respect during its playing towards that cause.

As to the last part, I would argue that it’s not disrespecting those who have fallen to racism, but respecting the minorities that devoted their life to make it possible for us all to live under equal rights.

Regardless what anyone personal message of the anthem is, I wish everything wasn’t political. Literally. Everything.

Drive a Prius? Liberal. Own a gun? Republican. Support the police? Republican. Obviously, those aren’t all cases, but if you tell someone you’re a gun owner they instantly think “republican”. Things that shouldn’t be political are politicized to keep us pre judging people’s character based on the beliefs instead of their actions in the world. It’s disheartening.

So anyway, people who put pineapple on pizza are some real wackos. Amirite?

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    You know, as terrible as 9/11 was, I miss the way that ALL sides came together back then. For what was an all too brief time, we were all united. Wish that could have lasted.
    Amen to that!!! I was 14 when it happened so didn’t appreciate the show of unity at the time, but I remember our entire neighborhood stringing flags up a pole. The entire town still has flags hanging from our street lamp posts, that all began from 9/11. Wish we could get back to that.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Amen to that!!! I was 14 when it happened so didn’t appreciate the show of unity at the time, but I remember our entire neighborhood stringing flags up a pole. The entire town still has flags hanging from our street lamp posts, that all began from 9/11. Wish we could get back to that.

Oh child... :): Honestly I thought you were older than that, but dang! :):

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Bad google-foo, when did it become mandatory to play the national anthem before any sporting event?

I used to watch sporting events purely for the entertainment value. When they become political, for me they are no longer entertainment.

It isn’t mandatory, it’s just what we as Americans do... cause... ‘Merica!

No but really, I think it was a way for sporting venues to express their patriotism. Of course we know now that was all just a ruse, but at one time it actually meant something. Now those same sporting venues are supporting groups that burn the flag and call for the destruction of capitalism. Ironic in a way

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You mean that almost statistically insignificant number of people that have fallen to racism? I mean real-ass racism and not some perceived racism where none existed? Where it was made up out of whole cloth? That racism?
    Yeah, it exist, of course, not at the level that they think it does. And probably more than we think it does.

Reality =/= perception. But like most things, humans respond to perception.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Oh child... :): Honestly I thought you were older than that, but dang! :):
    Lol, I was in 8th grade study hall. My study hall teacher was also my wood shop teacher, so I’m sure you know the type of guy he was :): He was late to class, came in and turned on the classroom tv cause he said we needed to see this and understand the situation. I’m glad he did that looking back.

But ya, the name hatin since 87, I was born in 87 and been a hater ever since :cool:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Good point. I honestly never thought of what the anthem might mean to me may be different to others. I guess at the end of the day it’s up to the individual to perceive it as representing whichever patriotic matter they wish to view it as, and show their respect during its playing towards that cause.

As to the last part, I would argue that it’s not disrespecting those who have fallen to racism, but respecting the minorities that devoted their life to make it possible for us all to live under equal rights.

Regardless what anyone personal message of the anthem is, I wish everything wasn’t political. Literally. Everything.

Drive a Prius? Liberal. Own a gun? Republican. Support the police? Republican. Obviously, those aren’t all cases, but if you tell someone you’re a gun owner they instantly think “republican”. Things that shouldn’t be political are politicized to keep us pre judging people’s character based on the beliefs instead of their actions in the world. It’s disheartening.
    Amen to that.

So anyway, people who put pineapple on pizza are some real wackos. Amirite?
    You just had to go there, didn't you? :xmad:

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yeah, it exist, of course, not at the level that they think it does. And probably more than we think it does.

Reality =/= perception. But like most things, humans respond to perception.

Although both are probably true, I think racist actions happen on an extremely small scale. I think there are more racist than we want to admit, but unless those beliefs manifest into actions it’s a non issue imo. I view racist people like I view anything... you’re free to believe whatever ignorant bs you want to, so long as it isn’t followed by actions. I’m against thought policing on any level.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Lol, I was in 8th grade study hall. My study hall teacher was also my wood shop teacher, so I’m sure you know the type of guy he was :): He was late to class, came in and turned on the classroom tv cause he said we needed to see this and understand the situation. I’m glad he did that looking back.

But ya, the name hatin since 87, I was born in 87 and been a hater ever since :cool:

Born in 87? I have a son who was born in 87.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

I was at work when it all happened. Then I went to a strip club after getting off work. :): But honestly, most eyes were on the tv's in the club rather than on the girls. I just had a lot of friends there (both customers and employees) and wanted to be there. I was 41 and you were 14! :):

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    I was at work when it all happened. Then I went to a strip club after getting off work. :): But honestly, most eyes were on the tv's in the club rather than on the girls. I just had a lot of friends there (both customers and employees) and wanted to be there. I was 41 and you were 14! :):

LOL! Nothing says patriotism like a strip club! :patriot:

I’ve been pretty lucky. Born in America to a conservative middle class family that fears god and loves sports... but man I wish I could’ve been born at a earlier time and got to experience a world without internet and all the bs in the world today.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010

I'm applying for FDR monthly happy cash.
    When I was growing up we had the national anthem at sporting events.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here grew up in a time when the national anthem wasn’t played at sporting events? I’m not sure when it became the norm so it’d be nice to have some insight on when it began, I always assumed it was always played?

Mikey1911

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    Newburgh
    Out of curiosity, has anyone here grew up in a time when the national anthem wasn’t played at sporting events? I’m not sure when it became the norm so it’d be nice to have some insight on when it began, I always assumed it was always played?

I think we’d have to go back to before World War I, although I recall reading that until World War II the National Anthem was normally played before Major League Baseball games only on Opening Day and National Holidays (Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day).

Around the time of WW1, I’ve seen pictures of ballplayers carrying bats like (M1903 Springfield?) rifles while lined up along the baselines.

Top Bottom