• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    AK purists, this isn't the thread for you. Never fear though, my other AK will stay just like the cavemen intended.

Howdy INGO! I recently picked up an AK74 for a modernization project, and I wanted to get everyone's opinions on some of the best tactical accessories/brands out there. Some things I want to do are to put a rail system on it, go with an AK to M4 stock adapter, and other juicy things I find as I go along. Suggestions?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I've used the vltor stock adapter, however the Rifle dynamics options seems great. I personally don't own and AK with a MidWestIndustries rail, but I've installed one and shot a rifle with one; it would also be something worth checking out as an option for the rail system.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I really, REALLY like my ultimak railed gas tube. I looked into the M4 adapter stuff, and when it was all said and done, I just bought a zhukov stock.

so basically, I'm running an ultimak tube, zhukov stock, and MOE handguard. It's pretty slick.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    I second the ultimak rail. Also I pulled my gas block and fsb off my tantal and replaced them with a venom tactical bolton combo. I have had it out for a few range trips and so far the screws have not come loose without loctite. As for stocks, I find the warsaw length stock to be perfect for me so no opinion on any adapters and im just going drill some holes into my handguard and put a short magpul rail for a short vert grip. Check out ak operators union on youtube. They've got videos on all sorts of rails, stock adapters, and scope mouts.

And picture time:

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I really, REALLY like my ultimak railed gas tube. I looked into the M4 adapter stuff, and when it was all said and done, I just bought a zhukov stock.

so basically, I'm running an ultimak tube, zhukov stock, and MOE handguard. It's pretty slick.

This is going to be your best set up. Sub a Zhuk for end in if you really want.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'll jump on the ultimak train with everyone else... I don't own one, but I want an AK with one! To be honest on the next ak I get will probably have a side folder and an ultimak. And that'll about wrap it up once I get an optic on it, and maybe a trigger.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    Keep it Commie!... :) The folding Magpul furniture is on my list, but I don't like the price. I'll sneak up to it. I wouldn't mind a red dot either, but I would like one of the rear leaf options, or side mount options.

My favorite AK upgrade is the ALG trigger. I have no complaints, and its very much an improvement.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    My favorite AK upgrade is the ALG trigger. I have no complaints, and its very much an improvement.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes, how could I forget to mention the alg. Thats definitely the $50 you can spend on an ak, worth the extra money over the g2.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My SLR-107 I'm using a Manticore Alfa rail I got on sale bought the lower half and got the upper half free, they're normally sold separately. I like it ,gives a lot of options, keymod on the sides and bottom with pic rail on top. Got a Vortex Spark II on top, flashlight mount, and an RVG. Also have an MOE grip and Circle 10 mags. Pretty simple but it works.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Right, right, everyone wants to be hip and cool. Who can blame them?

Take your gun to school. See what you need help with. Don't put crap on the gun unless it solves an issue(s). For most of us that is triggers and sights.

Agree with you 100%. However, it's like telling a 20 year old kid that all he should look for in a girl is ... can she cook? can she clean?

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've done fairly extensive testing of the Ultimak rail and if you plan to use your rifle a lot, you might want to find another option for mounting a RDS.

On a 7.63x39 rifle in the summer (ambient temp around 80 degrees) it takes 4-5 magazines fired in fairly quick succession to heat either a Aimpoint T1 Micro or EOTech up to 160+ degrees. If you take your rifle to a multi-day course you'll go well past this round count and well above this temp on your RDS.

This is critical because both Aimpoint and EOTech have max safe operating temps for their sights at 160 degrees. I've had my T1 over 200 degrees before in an afternoon of shooting.

While the sights won't shut down immediately upon reaching 160 degrees, you are damaging the sight once you pass the safe operating temp. It might take a year of regularly heating the sight up over 160 degrees before you finally kill it, but damaging it you are. When you're talking about sights that cost over $500 you might want to give this consideration, unless of course money is no object.

I stopped using Ultimak rails long ago for this reason. I see no point in purposely shortening the service life of an expensive optic when better sight mounting options exist for the AK.

I go with an RS Regulate mount and T1 Micro on my hard use AK's.

maverick18

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Clinton County
    Don't put crap on your gun that does not solve a problem for you.

What problems do you have?

My WASR AK was the first long gun I ever purchased. I then proceeded to put every piece of garbage that Cheaper Than Dirt sold on that gun till it was almost unuseable. I ran it that way for a year thinking that was what I was supposed to do.....than I found INGO lol. So for the next year, I took off some piece of garbage every time I returned home from the range and slowly returned the gun to its (almost) former glory. The only things left on the gun are the Tapco G2 Trigger (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) and a CAA Israeli Grip. I was an idiot and an idiot with disposable income isn't pretty lol.

Top Bottom