Tac light/laser for hd handgun - any recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Got a XDm 3.8 the other day and am considering a laser or tac light or combo for HD use. I've got only limited experience in this area. Had a LCP with a Crimson Trace laserguard that seemed to work okay, had a Viridian C5L that drained batteries while sitting within 24 hours and I returned.

Is there a true quality laser or tac light that I can depend on working when the time comes, that doesn't break the bank? Love the idea of one-handed use, which I believe pretty much locks the Crimson Trace - or do you folks have other suggestions and experiences to share?

Thanks, INGO!

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I have a NEBO Protec Elite HP190 that Walmart sells for $39 on my bedside gun and it works great. Very bright 190 lumen with a strobe function and one finger operation. Has stood up to 9mm +p and +p+.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I have a NEBO Protec Elite HP190 that Walmart sells for $39 on my bedside gun and it works great. Very bright 190 lumen with a strobe function and one finger operation. Has stood up to 9mm +p and +p+.

2nd... I have the Protec as well on a P95. No complaints, has held up to around 100 rounds of mixed Federal HST 147gr, cheap WWB, and Blazer Brass.

Thrown Hammer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2013
    Northern
    I had a Nebo for awhile and it had issues. Finally just stopped working.

Currently using a S&W Micro90 light. Seems ti be holding up, although I think they have been discontinued...

I have heard good things about the Streamlights.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I had a Nebo for awhile and it had issues. Finally just stopped working.

Currently using a S&W Micro90 light. Seems ti be holding up, although I think they have been discontinued...

I have heard good things about the Streamlights.
    Was it just the NEBO light? Or light/laser combo? I've read that the laser breaks quite easily on the combo.

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Well, in following most of the recommendations, ordered the Streamlight TLR-4. Got it today. Impressed so far, seems to be of MUCH higher quality than the Viridian C5L-R I had such a bad experience with. Hope to put some rounds through tonight or tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks, INGO!

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Well, in following most of the recommendations, ordered the Streamlight TLR-4. Got it today. Impressed so far, seems to be of MUCH higher quality than the Viridian C5L-R I had such a bad experience with. Hope to put some rounds through tonight or tomorrow to check it out.

Thanks, INGO!

Mounted it up last night and took it out. It was zeroed for a bit longer distance than I wanted for my application but was dead on for windage. A quick adjustment of the laser to match the iron sight point of impact at that distance and proceeded to chew a 2 inch hole out of the center of the target will a full load as quickly as the laser could be brought back on target. The zero never seemed to stray from there with any further shots.

Further testing will apply to see if it loses zero but doesn't look like it will be a problem.

Everything about the unit speaks quality. Heavy duty engagement and mode switches, housing, etc. That and a lifetime warranty from Streamlight sure makes the future look bright for this unit! (See what I did there? :) )

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    I have the TLR-3 (no laser) I have it mounted on my XDm 3.8 40, it stays mounted during range trips and has been excellent so far.

110 lumens is good for home use, the controls are easy and ambi, for the money ($70) I dont think there is anything even close to being better.

RiverratMike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2013
    Lewiston
    Viridian X5L
    Fantastic design. Bright lights, green beams, I started out being very happy with mine. But all this just sets you up for a bigger fall. It works a while then something goes wrong. Battery cover/light bezel came off and wouldn't go back on. Laser beam went off without warning, went on and off at irregular intervals. And the worst didn't get fixed. If a dab of oil gets on the laser lens the beam is so diffuse it's useless until you carefully wipe it off. I have whimpered about all this all over the forums and too many people have had the same problems. One that hasn't to me yet is excessive battery wear. I would suggest you check around for yourself.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Streamlight is what I consider the least expensive light for serious use. I have one with a laser, but lasers are lame IMO, and I'd rather have the smaller unit with just the light. 100 lumens is perfect for indoor use, too much more than that is likely to hurt visibility (especially if you are awaken at night with tired eyes). The goal is to be able to see your target, not to give them a sunburn. Plus, you don't want to burn through batteries too quickly, and CR123 batteries can get expensive.

I also have a few of those Nebo lights (chinese crap) from Walmart that I have on my trunk guns and 22lr pest control guns. At $50 you can't beat the price, and they work just fine with 9mm recoil. But their weakness is the mount, which will never tighten solid to the frame. If you try to make them actually latch on tight, they will break because the tension bar is some type of plastic alloy. Lesson learned, don't over tighten and they are fine for non-essential use.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom