• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Swiss K31. A truly unique and fascinating design IMO. Perhaps the most accurate milsurp I own when Swiss surplus GP11 ammo is used and the slickest operating BA I've ever run. Commercial ammo, loading data and components are readily available and affordable. To get this level of build quality in a commercial rifle would cost several times their modest price.

I do like the K31 design (haven't taken mine to the range quite yet). Mine was sporterized but it was done pretty well.

acersbull

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Osceola
    Swedish mauser in 6.5x55....surplus and commercial ammo available in a wide variety of selections as well as components....not to mention one heck of an all around over looked caliber.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    I agree with guys who like the M1 Carbine. But be sure to get a USGI model , not one of the commercial models. All of the USGI M1 carbine were made during World War II. They made a ton of them. The parts are interchangeable between Mafgs. Not so with later Commercial weapons. CMP released 35k M1's in the last few years so they are plentiful. Ammo can be purchased anywhere and is cheap

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I agree with guys who like the M1 Carbine. But be sure to get a USGI model , not one of the commercial models. All of the USGI M1 carbine were made during World War II. They made a ton of them. The parts are interchangeable between Mafgs. Not so with later Commercial weapons. CMP released 35k M1's in the last few years so they are plentiful. Ammo can be purchased anywhere and is cheap

awesome. this is the sort of info i searched for last night but couldnt dig up a whole lot of valuable stuff.
    so the ideal M1 would be a USGI circa WWII?
    any specific model better or more available ? or is that more personal choice?

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Don't forget the Japenese rifles either. Not as easy to find and ammo is not easy either but, I was at Wanamaker guns a couple of months ago and He had several with ammo! And If you reload I think when I met a guy shooting one at a vintage match he made his own ammo out Remington .270 brass/

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    pinshooter45;2498231[B said:
    ]Don't forget the Japenese rifles either[/B]. Not as easy to find and ammo is not easy either but, I was at Wanamaker guns a couple of months ago and He had several with ammo! And If you reload I think when I met a guy shooting one at a vintage match he made his own ammo out Remington .270 brass/

He asked about inexpensive ammo, but I agree.

I have a type 99 Arisaka in 7.7 Jap with the anti-aircraft sights, and an intact mum, meaning my Arisaka was a war-booty "bring-back".

It was a little expensive to find ammo, but I did find some new manufactered, brass-cased 7.7 Jap. I bought what the guy had available, which was about 180 rounds. Several months later I went to an auction and ran across a set of 7.7 Jap dies that I managed to get for $15! I think I got them so cheap because no one else there wanted them.

It is literally a blast to shoot, and I think I'm about set for ammo for a while.

The history is just oozing out of every pore of this firearm. If it could only talk. I wish I'd had a chance to talk to the soldier who "brought it back". I'm sure he could have added some intrigue to the story.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    People are saying the service grade M1 Garands coming out of the CMP now are excellent. You can't go wrong and it will end being an investment. Look what happened to the M1 carbines this last year when the CMP quit selling them. Prices have shot up. Carbines are good too, just keep your eyes open and study up before you buy.
    picture.php

Springfield Garand, Postal Meter carbine, and Colt 1911 USGI (year 1914)

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    If you are developing an interest in military surplus rifles the first thing I would recommend is a C&R license, any mil-surp gun you want, shipped right to your door. The best $30 you will ever spend.

Swiss K31 and K11 rifles are some of the nicest, best shooting guns out there. Supplies are dwindling and prices are going up, get one while they are still relatively cheap. Simpson Ltd. - Collectors Firearms - Simpson Ltd. - Collectors Firearms is probably the best place to start.

I have a $189 24/47 Yugo mauser (Samco Global I think) that cleaned up really nice and shoots great. Most mausers are good guns, be carefull of some of the rechambered ones though, 1912 Steyers in .308 are good, 1895 Chileans, or model 1916s in .308 are questionable. There are some great mauser bargains out there, just do your homework first.

M1 carbines are fun, but were a lot better deal a couple years ago, a little pricey, but probably wont get any cheaper.

1903s are nice guns, I have a Remington and a Smith Corona, the former sporterized, but still a good shooter.

Also just picked up a 1917 Eddystone, the unfortunate step sibling to the 03, but still a nice gun.

And you already have a mosin...the list goes on, and on...and on.....Get your C&R first though, you'll break even the first time you dont have to pay the transfer fee

Jeez.........we didn't even get into C&R pistols!!

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I somewhat disagree with the advice to totally avoid the postwar M1 carbines. Many were made from mostly surplus parts, so the parts situation for the earlier of these would be similar to the parts situation with a USGI version. If you do the research, you can have the "M1 carbine experience" without the huge expense. Those postwar carbines have their own particular history as well, with many being purchased by returning war Veterans.
    I had a civilian m1 carbine for a while, untill I found a nice USGI version, and it shot the same as the military one, maybe a little better. But alas, I was interested in the WWll history of these things.
    As for the ammo cost, you can find inexpensive ammo, and you can find some expensive ammo in 30Carbine. Your M1 will probably tell you what to use.:):

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Well there's not much I can add here. LOL I guess I'll toss out some fringe ideas:

Italian Carcanos - variety of flavors from WW I long rifles to WW II mountain carbines that look to me like a boy scout rifle, they're so dinky. LOL Fun rifles to shoot though

French MAS36. Butt. Ugly. But interesting to shoot. Sometimes you find them converted to .308

French MAS49 or 49/56. REALLY nice semi-auto, especially if you can get one that hasn't been mucked with by Century. If you do get one of Century's .308 conversions, be very wary and make sure you don't get one that seizes up after it's fired a few rounds.

FN49 - you can get Egyptian models in 8mm Mauser, you can also find Venezuelan (I think) in 7mm Mauser. Or you can pay through the nose when you find one of the 30.06 versions (Luxembourg?) or REALLY pay through the nose if you find an Argentine (7.62 NATO).

Another high dollar piece that could be a lot of fun is the Russian SVT40.

If you can find one in good shape (not always as easy task), one of the most unusual pieces you'll run into is the Czech Vz52.

The problem with collecting these damn things is there is always SOMEthing else out there calling out to you and your wallet. ;)

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    8mm Mauser is a great shooter and the surplus ammo is cheap...I have an Enfield no4 mk1, great rifle, but the surplus ammo is hard to find and the new stuff is pretty expensive. The best price I can find now is aimsurplus.com They have 20 round boxes for $14.00...don't forget M1 Garands or Springfield 1903's.

Packrat67

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    Back to M1 Carbines. The commercial models made right after the war were OK as they had a lot of USGI parts in them. But when those parts ran short, builders substituted their own parts, often inferior. These guns have parts are not interchangable. Sadly some are OK most are junk.
    Due to the parts being interchangeable it is almost impossible to find a
    M 1 that is entirely one manfacturer. But by the same measure that means that all USGI carbines are pretty much the same quality wise. Some manfacturers are more sought after i.e Winchester etc. but that is personal perference. I have an Inland and a Winchester both CMP service grade. The Winchester is NOT worth the extra money I paid for it. But both are great weapons.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Due to the parts being interchangeable it is almost impossible to find a
    M 1 that is entirely one manfacturer.

It is impossible. None of the manufacturers contracted to build M1 carbine parts built every part in the gun. Even brand new they were all of mixed manufacture to one degree or another.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    The others have covered this well.
    I agree about getting a C&R license. That would save you money quick.
    You could probably spend a lifetime collecting Mauser variants, let alone all of the others that have been mentioned.
    If you are interested in an M1 Carbine join the CMP forum and go to the For Sale section several times a day with money in hand.
    I see a few Carbines in gun shops but they want way too much for them and many are beaters that someone has unloaded. On the other hand CMP sells some nice looking stock sets, and parts are everywhere if you could get a good deal on a beater and wanted to put some money into it.
    Carbine ammo isn't near as cheap as it was in times past but good ammo such as Prvi is as close as Aim Surplus for better than gun shop prices.
    USGI Carbine magazines come and go at CMP. Get them when you see them. I haven't looked lately.
    The .30 Carbine is easy and relatively inexpensive to reload too.
    I also agree about not paying a premium for Winchester. I have one that I got a pretty decent deal on. It doesn't do anything any better than an Inland ect except sit in the safe because I'm afraid to ding it up.

Last edited:

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I got real lucky on my CMP carbine. I got one of those German returns, so mine was marked "Bavarian Rural Police", but then it also turned out to be a Winchester for no extra.

Some nagging voice in the back of my head kept saying "you better get it now - there don't seem to be any more coming in." and wow... I think that's the first time I ever correctly predicted anything. LOL

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville
    I acquired a French MAS 36 with ammo.I think its pretty cool,neat bayonet system.Happened to get lots of ammo in the deal!The old rifle puts them consistently where it should.You know what they say about WW2 French rifles.....rarely fired,only dropped once!

Last edited:

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I acquired a French MAS 36 with ammo.I think its pretty cool,neat bayonet system.Happened to get lots of ammo in the deal!The old rifle puts them consistently where it should.You know what they say about WW2 French rifles.....rarely fired,only dropped once!

I do like the old MAS 36, One of the last military bolt actions. Was this one from Bradis.. I did like that gun

Top Bottom