• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    so i allready have myself a 91/30 and i have fallen in love with it. i was wondering if there are any other older surplus rifles out there that that are readily available at a fairly decent price that ammo is easily attainable?
    basically what does the InGo community like?

Not interested in an ak at the moment so thats out

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Look at the many Enfields out there.

I have an SMLE made in Australia in 1942. Shoots .303 British, and is FULL of history and character.

Edit: I should have read a little further in your post. .303 Bitish is not that hard to find, but it is kind of spendy.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    i dont mind spendy to much on ammo as it would be something i just wouldnt shoot as much. i love having an old school rifle with history and character!

meyer4589

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Highland, IN
    7mm or 8mm Mauser Variant or I would recommend an Enfield Variant preferably an Ishapore 2a1. Hands down my favorite military/surplus rifle I own, but they are harder to find.

The Ishapore shoots 7.62x51 which you can find just about anywhere, and is very nice to shoot all day at the range.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    M48 mause would be a nice rifle. ammo not to tearable on price somewhat still easy to find ammo for. They make great shooters. Or a Turk Mauser would also be a good choice. K98 would be real nice in the Muser family but they are little more money than the others listed.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    ..I would recommend an Enfield Variant preferably an Ishapore 2a1. Hands down my favorite military/surplus rifle I own, but they are harder to find.

The Ishapore shoots 7.62x51 which you can find just about anywhere, and is very nice to shoot all day at the range.

A 1967 vintage reporting in here. :)

2011-10-16_22-52-51_79.jpg

2011-10-16_22-48-57_466.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    A M1 carbine would be a very good choice. Can you find the ammo reasonably easily? I've not looked or noticed, so it may be sitting on shelves and I just gloss over it.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    A M1 carbine would be a very good choice. Can you find the ammo reasonably easily? I've not looked or noticed, so it may be sitting on shelves and I just gloss over it.

im not to sure about the ammo as i have never priced or even looked for the ammo for said weapon. but it sure would be a cool piece of history to own and shoot from time to time

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Just my current personal favorites, although there are many other historically or mechanically interesting old military rifles on my "Wish" list.

First, a ditto on the Ishapore No.2/2A1. The justly classic SMLE action and features in a more common and plentiful chambering. Desperately need to find a quality NG-type scope mount for mine, as my elderly eyes aren't capable of accessing anywhere near the accuracy potential of this rifle anymore.

SKS. I've owned at least one example of every nationality that's been imported in significant numbers. Simple, tough, durable, rugged and reliable. Ammo is still relatively inexpensive and available almost anywhere. Simple MOA (manual of arms) and low recoil makes it a nearly ideal "starter" military-type CF for tyros. Not nearly as cheap as they once were, but still can be had in very nice condition for well under $300 if one shops around. IMHO, everybody should at least try one.

M1 Garand. Not exactly cheap, even from the CMP, but still a truly great milsurp to own and shoot. My own had been professionally converted to 7.62x51 NATO, much as the ones I qualified with in the course of my Navy service were. Mine was fitted with a new commercial barrel rather than equipped with the "Navy sleeve" chamber insert, which is a real plus IMHO. Still capable of being a formidable "fighting" tool if ever called upon, and great fun to shoot.

Swiss K31. A truly unique and fascinating design IMO. Perhaps the most accurate milsurp I own when Swiss surplus GP11 ammo is used and the slickest operating BA I've ever run. Commercial ammo, loading data and components are readily available and affordable. To get this level of build quality in a commercial rifle would cost several times their modest price.

About any K98 variant. IMHO, the definitive military BA rifle design, and for good reasons. Another item that I think everybody should at least try out. Nice ones are getting pricey, but the real classics always do.

If one fancies the old Moisin-Nagant, IMHO the Finn rebuild/reworks are the most desirable. The ones I've owned or handled have been several cuts above the average run of Russians and Chinese in fit, finish and build quality. Well worth the extra $$, IMO.

As I said, there're lots of others on the wish list, but most of them are still out of my reach as my personal finances presently allow. :(

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Mosin stands guard at the Barbecue, bayonet can be used for shish ka bobs! Shot it a bit and you won't need another model unless its a M44. Mine is a blast to shoot. Runs others away due to noise. Pick up an AK47 for a companion. What a team.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Look at the many Enfields out there.

I have an SMLE made in Australia in 1942. Shoots .303 British, and is FULL of history and character.

Edit: I should have read a little further in your post. .303 Bitish is not that hard to find, but it is kind of spendy.

Ditto the Enfields, but look for one that was originally chambered in .308 instead of .303. There are also plenty that have been re-chambered from 303 to 308.

Top Bottom