• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I assume any surplus 5.45x39 to be corrosive. I think only the commercial stuff is non-corrosive, but even then is am very careful how I clean my SAR-2 after using it. Better to be safe than rusty! ;)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I've seen reports of completely rusted gas systems after only 24 hours of sitting after shooting bulgarian 5.45 surplus. Unless it's a commercial manufacturer, assume it's corrosive and NASTY.

sparky241

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 18, 2008
    all surplus is corrosive. most commercial is not. but still clean it with the hottest water and baking soda . i just fill up a 5 gallon bucket let it sit an hour, flip, sit another hour wipe down well.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    It is very corrosive. This reminds me I've actually got a 5.45x39 AR in the safe from last Sunday I put some bulgy surp thru and haven't cleaned it yet since I went to visit family the next day and just got back today... I'm not looking forward to seeing it tomorrow. :(

I try and shoot a few rounds of commercial stuff thru it afterwards to "blow out" the gas tube a bit. I have no idea if that actually helps, but even leaving my rifles sit for a week, other than a some surface rust on a muzzle device, I've not had any issues.

Granted they are in dehumidified safes which certainly helps.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks, folks! I appreciate it.

I figured that it'd be corrosive; but was hoping for the best.

I just put a deposit on a Bulgarian -74 pattern rifle. Need to scout out some ammo now. :D

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I presume, then, that the Wolf / Wolf Military Classic and/or the TulAmmo stuff is NOT corrosive, right? Being recent commercial manufacture?

-J-

ftbstrd

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Yorktown/Muncie
    corrosive ammo

I shoot the surplus ammo in both of my AK74s and all you need is a bottle of Windex to field strip and spray the barrel, gas tube, bolt, carrier and piston down to kill the salts on the parts then clean normally when you get home. I have never had one speck of rust doing this and even not cleaning til the next morning. Just my :twocents:!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Assume that any surplus ammo is corrosive. If it comes in a spam can, from all I have seen, it is corrosive. If It's packaged in brown paper, from what I have seen, it too is corrosive. Unless it's new factory ammo, chances are it's corrosive. If you have some non corrosive, run some after you shoot the corrosive ammo. It does help, but you'll still want to throughly clean your rifle afterward.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I shoot the surplus ammo in both of my AK74s and all you need is a bottle of Windex to field strip and spray the barrel, gas tube, bolt, carrier and piston down to kill the salts on the parts then clean normally when you get home. I have never had one speck of rust doing this and even not cleaning til the next morning. Just my :twocents:!

this has been my experiance as well

rhino1303

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    I clean my rifle with hot soapy water to neutralize the corrosive salts, this works very well. Then I give her a good oiling and she looks like new. It's best to clean your barrel at the range right after shooting while it's still hot. The garbage comes out of the barrel much easier. You still want to use soap and hot water in the barrel when you clean it. I do this with a bore snake in a tupperware tote I bought from Walmart. Kind of a pain to clean up after 5.45x39, but it's still MUCH faster than reloading.

Top Bottom