• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    Just purchased the new surfire earplugs. would have to say i am very impressed with the quailty. Very ergonomical and they also have a plug design in them were when worn can be removed to hear a instrutor or freind while at the range shooting. But also with the plug can be left out but cancels out deafing decibels! Very nice

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Argh!!! I meant to order a few pairs of these from my supplier. I've been interested in them ever since they were released.

I'm glad to hear you like them!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've been wearing them for a couple of years now and I really like them. I prefer the version that has the extra flange because it's more effective at blocking sound and they stay in place better when I sweat. When I got my first pair, they were $20. Fortunately the price has dropped to $10, so there is no reason to be without a pair or two at any time.

Of all of the plugs that are supposed to block intense sounds, but still allow the wearer to hear normal speech, I find the Surefire plugs to be the best. This is especially important because I can't wear my electronic earmuffs when I shoot a long gun, so I wear plugs. The Surefires allow me to hear range commands and still adequately attenuate noise from an AR or several ARs.

ashylarry

Expert
    Rating - 90%
    9   1   0
    May 9, 2008
    Greencastle
    About how long do you expect these to last? I was tempted to get a set but I wasnt sure on the life. If you guys want to put an order together I can order some through work for cost + 10%

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I've had a pair since they first came out maybe 2 years ago I think. Still as good as new. I use them a lot at work, so I bought 3 more pair for the cars and range bag. You never know when the car will just turn itself towards the range now do you :)

Tinman....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for the tip Smooth308. Do you know off-hand what the NRR is for them? I saw them in an ad for $12.95 at Surefire EP3 Sonic Defenders™ Ear Plugs I was thinking of ordering some Surefire batteries from there, because they have a decent price on them. If I do, I'll have to add a pair or two of these plugs to the order.

smooth308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 20, 2008
    Martinsville,IN
    I may be a little slow but what is nnr bemike. i am really happy with them defently worth a try! I cant quite remember the measuments on them,might look at surefire to see what size you would need something to do with the measurment from the top of the ear to the canal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    NRR = noise reduction rating. Its an attempt to quantify how much sound they attenuate. I believe the scale was originally created by the EPA. Its not a great system, but since everyone uses the same scale, its a level playing field.

JcJ

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    16dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP3 Sonic Defenders with stoppers in
    19dB Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) for EP4 Sonic Defenders Plus with stoppers in
    Lowers potentially dangerous noise levels above 80dB

Time for me to do some cross reference research.. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    BEMike,

Surefire's website lists the EP3's as 16 dB NRR and the EP4's as 19 dB NRR. If this is the route you'd like to go, I would suggest the EP4's. They aren't a lot better, but every little bit counts. 16 is pretty lame.

EarPro EP-3 Sonic Defenders®- EP3 from SureFire

Josh ... I believe (and I could be wrong, so correct me if I am), the quoted NRR on these plugs refers to sound level attenuation for lowerer intensity, steady noise. Stuff like machinery and lawn mowers. For that application you can do a lot better (obviously).

In my experience with them, the noise attenuation is significant for sudden, high intensity sounds like gun shots due to the baffle system inside them. In any case, I experience no discomfort when firing and AR or having multiple ARs discharging within feet of me at the same time.

All of the above refers to using the Sonic Defenders with the little plastic plugs UNplugged. If you plug them into the little holes, they do much better with low intensity noise, but you can't hear normal speech clearly anymore (which is expected).

You can't get somethin' for nothin', but the Sonic Defenders are the best passive hearing protection I've found that still allow normal speech to be heard clearly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    So that implies that the plugs do even less without the stoppers. I dunno about that. For something like hunting I'd say its probably a good compromise, but for regular range use, it wouldn't be my first choice.

I know that many folks on this board like them, but it seems like they are still too loud. Whatever happened to RO's shouting commands.

Episcopus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I have these too. The NRR with them unplugged is 9, plugged is 16. The problem is that the attentuation in hearing protection like this is non-linear. The more intense the noise, the greater the reduction. I think the chart that comes with them shows something like a 36db reduction at 120db. I think the EPA is reworking the NRR scale to better test the non-linear systems, as plugs like these seem to be getting more popular.

I can shoot all day on the outdoor range with absolutely no discomfort. On the indoor range, I usually put the plugs in to up the protection, but I have gone with them out and not had any discomfort. I am very impressed with the protection these offer.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Jinx on you Rhino.

Well, I appreciate your review of them. I suppose some objective testing is in order.

Any ideas where you can buy them in a store?

Jinx???!! DEAD END FOREVER!!

I've seen the Sonic Defenders at Gander Mountain if you want to snag a pair in a store.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Camhickey
    Top Bottom