• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Electronrider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    White County
    I am not very fammilliar with supressors, so I have a question for you all.

I have an AR in .223, and an AR in .308. Is there a can out there that I can use on both of these, or will I need to get caliber specific?

Thanks!

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The suppressor is very dependent on the diameter of the bullet. You are trying to slow down the gas escaping behind the bullet. If you shot a .223 out of a .308 suppressor, there is enough space around the bullet that there would be very little quieting effect. All the expanding gas (and thus sound) would blow past the bullet and still make noise.

A suppressor will only work with one bullet diameter. It also only really works well with similar "size" rounds. Something setup for a pistol round probably can't contain the power of a same diameter high powered rifle round.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    For best suppression, use a caliber specific silencer.(This is the golden rule in regard to silencers in general.)

That being said, if your intended purpose is to suppress .308 and 5.56, buying a .308 "can" will give a bit of versatility. You see 5.56 is a very hard round to suppress, in fact most folks are disappointed when they here it suppressed, even in the best 5.56 suppressor. The other downside is that if you handload 5.56 to be sub-sonic for a really quiet shot, you lose terminal ballistics greatly and in essence firing a really heavy .22lr.

Now if you buy a .308 "can", you can move it around to different host weapons. (IF you happen to have a .308 bolt gun and handload some sub-sonic rounds, you will be very happy with suppresion and have decent terminal ballistics.)

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I am not very fammilliar with supressors, so I have a question for you all.

I have an AR in .223, and an AR in .308. Is there a can out there that I can use on both of these, or will I need to get caliber specific?

Thanks!

Get the can designed for the 308 first. Try it on both and see how you like it on the 223.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    The suppressor is very dependent on the diameter of the bullet. You are trying to slow down the gas escaping behind the bullet. If you shot a .223 out of a .308 suppressor, there is enough space around the bullet that there would be very little quieting effect. All the expanding gas (and thus sound) would blow past the bullet and still make noise.

A suppressor will only work with one bullet diameter. It also only really works well with similar "size" rounds. Something setup for a pistol round probably can't contain the power of a same diameter high powered rifle round.

Sorry, but this is NOT true. There is SOME reduction in suppression due to the larger bore in the suppressor. However, there are lots of people who do exactly what the OP is wanting to do and are very happy with the results.

ssgjason

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    Southern IN
    Sorry, but this is NOT true. There is SOME reduction in suppression due to the larger bore in the suppressor. However, there are lots of people who do exactly what the OP is wanting to do and are very happy with the results.

I agree with this. I have heard and experienced a 762 can on a 556 rifle and the 762 can was as quiet (to my ears) as the HALO on my AR.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I can say from personal experience (I have a .30 cal can) that a 30 cal can on a 5.56 AR is louder than on a .308 bolt gun. But that is comparing apples to oranges because it is hard to tell just how much sound is coming back out of the action of the AR when it cycles.

I think it would be really nice to put it on a 5.56 or .223 bolt gun and see how they compare in order to get a good apples to apples comparison.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I own both a YHM 5.56QD and a 7.62QD so I will see if I can settle this for you all this weekend.

How does this sound:

Video Test Of:

1. 5 rounds unsuppressed in M16 semi-auto
    2. 5 rounds unsuppressed in M16 full-auto
    3. 5 rounds suppressed with YHM Phantom 5.56QD in M16 semi-auto
    4. 5 rounds suppressed with YHM Phantom 5.56QD in M16 in full auto
    5. 5 rounds suppressed with YHM Phantom 7.62QD in M16 in semi-auto
    6. 5 rounds suppressed with YHM Phantom 7.62QD in M16 in full auto

Hopefully we will be able to tell the difference if any on camera. I will also give my ears personal opinion.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I wonder how many of you actually own a suppressor? Thaose that say a 7.62 suppressor won't work on a .223 are flat wrong.

The YHM Phantom in 7.62 is what you want. You'll get a 7.62 quick detach when you purchase the can. Buy a separate QD for your .223. The threads will be correct for the barrel. The Phantom will fit both QDs, and even though it is sized for a 7.62 it suppresses .223 better than most .223 cans do.

Top Bottom