• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm looking into buying another can, and pretty sure I am going to go with a 30 caliber one this time. I was curious if any of you guys have had experience suppressing a 300 whisper, and what your thoughts about it are. Not sure what platform I should build or which can to go with. Thanks.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I had a 16" AR15 300 whisper with a can on it.
    It was a fun gun. I assume you reload or you would not be thinking of this caliber. I bought my upper from AR15 barrels.com
    it was plenty accurate enough. I mostly ran subsonic loads which I would have to go back and look but I used Sierra Matchking 220gr bullet over H110 powder.
    Worked great very accurate.
    I also loaded 125gr bullets for it as well for a little flatter round. I think velocity on those were in the 2200 range. Once again have to double check.

Fun to play with but I got tired of it after while the subsonic round trajectory was kind of like lobbing a rock down range, you could hit what you were lobbing at though.
    makes a great round out to about 150 - 200 yards. I felt 150 yards and below was ideal with the 220 gr subsonics.

I even loaded the bullets in it backwards a couple times to reduce charge weight (loudness) and increase the impact area of the bullet on target.
    Shot fine that way but the AR would jamb:)

Before I get flamed on that last suggestion It was something that was done long ago with subsonic ammo to increase their effectiveness. I tried it and it works fine. just have to reduce powder charge

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a friend with one on an AR platform. He really likes it. I always thought I'd like to have one on a T/C Encore. No action noise.:rockwoot:

That's true, mine made more noise being semi auto. although I did have and adjustable gas block that I could turn of the cycling.
    Never used it though :)
    Should have played with that more

gunselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 94.3%
    33   2   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Indy

Longshot308

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Westfield, In
    Did a great deal of testing about 15+ years ago on this round especially with the 220 gr. bullet; No matter what we tried, it would string the rounds vertically at 200 yards--approx. 4" spread. Custom AR-15 barrel- cut down LC .223 cases. Fun to shoot-very quite-at that time we used an AWC Thundertrap -it worked well. The SAS Titanium .308 Arbiter is the suppressor of choice now. Super quite and about 1/2 the weight.

dudish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    sounds like fun. I saw a 300 whisper ar upper with suppressor at the knob creek shoot shoot for $500. I have been regretting passing it up.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    sounds like fun. I saw a 300 whisper ar upper with suppressor at the knob creek shoot shoot for $500. I have been regretting passing it up.

Wow, depending on the can, that sounds like a damn good deal.

I was talking with a friend about suppressing rifles. He's a retired veteran, and brought the whisper to my attention. A little embarrasing, but I had never heard of it before. After watching some online videos of guys shooting it, my interest has peaked.

I have a couple of AR's and have wanted to do something different with them, so I'm leaning towards that platform due to simplicity. However, if "quiet" is the name of the game, a bolt action seems like it would be way cooler. Never thought about the TC, but that's a cool idea as well

Damn these guns, I'm going to end up in the poor house :n00b:

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Did a great deal of testing about 15+ years ago on this round especially with the 220 gr. bullet; No matter what we tried, it would string the rounds vertically at 200 yards--approx. 4" spread. Custom AR-15 barrel- cut down LC .223 cases. Fun to shoot-very quite-at that time we used an AWC Thundertrap -it worked well. The SAS Titanium .308 Arbiter is the suppressor of choice now. Super quite and about 1/2 the weight.
    That SAS can looks pretty sweet, and I like that their based out of Indiana. Pretty impressed that it can handle a 300 Win Mag.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    That SAS can looks pretty sweet, and I like that their based out of Indiana. Pretty impressed that it can handle a 300 Win Mag.

I'm very happy with my SAS can. It's the stainless one, purchased because it was cheaper than a Ti version. Figure it's a bench shooter, so no big deal. Of course, this is something you are probably going to won for your lifetime, so get what you want! I've shot subsonic .308's out of mine and it's like a big pellet rifle. Yes a .300 Whisper is set up for heavier bullets, but you are goingto have more drop at range. Difference between full power and subsonic loads at 100 yards is measured in feet! Forget exactly how much a 180 drops compared to my 168gr match loads, but ti's considerable! I was thinking of building a .300 Whisper AR, but not sure if it's worth it. If I do end up building something in that caliber, it'll probably be a Savage bolt gun, set up strictly for subsonic loads. If you go switching back and forth between sub and supersonic loads, you'll contantly be messing with your scope. If we could meet up at Martinsville sometime ,I'll gladly let you try out my FN PBR in .308 with the can on it. There's athread I started here with a frw videos of me shooting it with both full power and subsonic loads. It's very impressive! Moreso in person!!!

Doug K

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have a 20" bull barrel Remington 700 in 308, so I was thinking the can could go on it as well. Plus, I could run 556 through it on my other AR.

Thanks for the offer Slowhand, may have to take you up on that!

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Love mine on the AR platform. Brass can be bought or formed and CorBon does offer loaded ammo. Brass can be formed from .221 Fireball, 222 Remington, or .223. In my experience .221 is the easiest to form from. It is a very easy round to load and will work well sub sonic out to 300 yards.

whispersmall.jpg

Top Bottom