Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Ft. Wayne
    stud.jpg

stud2.jpg

$7.71 on Amazon

I haven't used any of those junk electronic stud finders in years.

This one always works.

Yep, this is my go-to now. Gets you dead center.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Web, I have had a couple Zircons. My latest is a little better than my first but they still can be hit and miss at times.

I use it and when it's not pointing at me (couldn't resist:)), it generally finds the studs.

042186633931.jpg

That's the one I have.
    I have this one also. Works great. Even shows electrical.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    OIP.eDgP-ZTeLREcA8sjzFPvewHaHa

I've got this one, and it works well even though the drywall in my house is double-layered and well over an inch thick in many places. So far, it only seems to be confused when I'm close to electrical wires. I think it's probably got something to do with the wires running along as well as between studs.
    It worked perfectly when I was trying to figure out where to put the new plumbing under the kitchen sink--saved me a bunch of random drilling/cutting to find everything behind the wall.

Tryin'

Victimized
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I really like mine. Works well in interior walls, and just OK on heavily insulated walls. It was expensive but I'd buy it again.
    Franklin Sensors:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0195K8OT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ETA: You slide it across the wall and the lights light up where it detects the stud. 1 stud? 3 lights. double stud? 6 light up. Whenever it finds something under the surface, it lights up the LED above the object from edge to edge. In theory, if somebody put a 2x12 flat behind the wall, ALL the lights would light up.
    I second this unit. Love mine.

cburnworth

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I have two of the magnet. I love them. I bought a walabot, I hate it. I built a wall and I know where all the wires are, I remodeled a kitchen & I know where all the wires are. The walabot keeps telling me I have diagonal pipes/wiring in both walls, the visual concept is great just doesn't work correctly.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Web, I have had a couple Zircons. My latest is a little better than my first but they still can be hit and miss at times.

I use it and when it's not pointing at me (couldn't resist:)), it generally finds the studs.

042186633931.jpg

That's the one I have.
    I have this one as well and it works great.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...I'll start drilling a series of small holes near where I think the edge of the stud is, until I actually find the edge (no resistance when plunging drill bit through drywall). Do this for each side of the stud. The small holes are easily filled with drywall compound.

I do this too, but in the corner where the wall meets the baseboard trim. I use a drill bit 1/16" or smaller and drill at a 45 degree angle. The holes are hard enough to see that I don't bother filling them.

Top Bottom