• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Prices will never be lower than they are right now. I have assembled my first AR late last year and caught the bug to accumulate parts to build another (or a 300 Blackout). Sold or traded off most of my surplus .308 and starting to hoard .223 for me and my son to shoot. Need to get some more of that plus reloading components for that caliber. Started casting my own bullets so I only need to stick back a decent supply of pistol powder and primers to feed our .357 and 45LC habits.

To me, prices are going to keep going up, no matter what idiot gets elected, just how fast will they go up is the question. Get what you can afford now but don't go crazy. Panic buying only hurts us all and God knows, we have seen enough of that idiocy over the last 6 years.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I'm not sure why this is being called "panic buying".

Right now things are as available and as cheap as they have been in years. If someone needs something or wants to make sure they have a good supply of things then there is nothing wrong with purchasing it while the prices are still reasonable.

I cast and reload. In order for me to continue to do that and shoot as much as I like then I have to have the items on hand. I'm always looking out for items I need all the time. I carry factory ammo in my EDC. That ammo gets rotated out every once in a while. Is it considered 'panic buying' to purchase enough of it to last me several years when it's on sale? Don't think so. HST is difficult to find most of the time. When I do find it, and have the extra money, I buy some. Buying it in bulk or when the price is low let's me save some money for other things while at the same time keeping my supplies well stocked.

Anyone here that isn't brand new to firearms this year knows what will happen to the prices and supply later on. Same thing if there is another mass shooting. Combine a mass shooting with an election year and all the 'feel good' trash that the left will promise during their campaign, then you will have panic buying. Prices will skyrocket, availability will drop. By maintaining or inflating our supply right now then we are actually avoiding contributing to panic buying because we will already have what we need.

If I want to continue to shoot then I will need primers, powder, projectiles, lead and brass, regardless of what the price or availability is. I would rather buy those things now and throughout the year rather than wait until something happens.

I also have more than a weeks worth of food in the house as well. If I see an ad that says soup will be on sale tomorrow instead of today, then I shop tomorrow. Is it considered panic buying and hording of food if I then bring home 15 cans of soup instead of 10 for the same price? What about saving money by buying half a beef for the winter instead of a pound or two each week at the store?

24lpj42.jpg
    :twocents:

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    lol Agreed. AFter the last stint, I learned my lesson. I've enough to get through another couple years before things 'normalize'. The primer, powder & bullets will help keep me over the top in that regard. Can't ever have enough, but reloading is was cheaperer than factory... I'm ok on factory, so I will focus on reloading

oops and I accidentally bought 3 more mags last week. :)

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    lets get real, the elections are fixed. At this point, its silly not to acknowledge this. I keep thinking whats the point of stocking up living in the city? I would just make myself a target. If you live in the middle of no where, ok yeah stock up and keep stocking up that makes sense. For city fold, get your crap together in small quantities so that you can get the h e double hockey sticks out of dodge and hopefully you have family, friends, or a plan to get to a place that your supplies will mean something. In a serious situation the city wont be good to be around. In a moderate situation maybe. Maybe just be prepared to move? in all honesty if we are honest with ourselves we shoudl see the signs right? yet here we are............had a convo today with an older lady, they survived world wars, all kinds of stuff, was bad but nothing like the apocalypse, is this what we face? who knows, why not be prepared?

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have a list of those that I won't trade with.

Now I'm starting a list for those that poke those that are preparing. I hope they are fully prepared because I will remember if they need help when I pass them by.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    It's this panic stocking that causes the shortages in supplies and the price increases. Stocking up for a SHTF situation I can understand, but an election.....? :rolleyes:

Yes an election. Was you shooting 7 years ago? I wasn't because Obama got elected and even though he had not said anything about gun control people thought he would. Could not find primers and powder for a year. I pretty much quit shooting because I was out of components. I don't hoard, but I have enough I won't have to quit shooting during another panic period.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Being prepared doesn't necessarily mean a panic.
    Lots of people got caught with their pants down.
    Hoarders made it difficult to find what we needed.
    I was in good shape then and I'm in good shape now. I hope INGO has seen the immediate future and prepared accordingly.
    I think we're just preparing because of the threats from the "Liberals"/Damnocrats that wish to enslave us.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I need primers... I have been seeing good deals online but I hate paying the $20 to ship. I bought a bunch about 6months ago at 2 cents each and I'm trying to find that again at Cabelas but they are always out of stock in the store yet available online... I may have to suck it up and just pay a touch more.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yes an election. Was you shooting 7 years ago? I wasn't because Obama got elected and even though he had not said anything about gun control people thought he would. Could not find primers and powder for a year. I pretty much quit shooting because I was out of components. I don't hoard, but I have enough I won't have to quit shooting during another panic period.

Yes, I was. Maybe not as much though. I stock up because I shoot thousands of rounds each year from a few different firearms. If there is a panic I want to be able to be ok for at least 4 years without changing how much I shoot. I refuse to start panic buying because of a upcoming election that hasn't happened or a school shooting or gun legislation that hasn't passed. I'm constantly adding to my inventory regardless of what the public is doing.

Last edited:

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I need primers... I have been seeing good deals online but I hate paying the $20 to ship. I bought a bunch about 6months ago at 2 cents each and I'm trying to find that again at Cabelas but they are always out of stock in the store yet available online... I may have to suck it up and just pay a touch more.

For the past 2 months Cabelas has had the S&B primers on sale and free shipping, just had to pay hazardous fee. I believe after tax it came out around $23/1000. I did buy like 10,000 though.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    For the past 2 months Cabelas has had the S&B primers on sale and free shipping, just had to pay hazardous fee. I believe after tax it came out around $23/1000. I did buy like 10,000 though.

Yeah I almost did the same thing... The last time I bought them I bought them in the store and $21.39 after tax at it felt a lot better... I think I may have to buy some online though. I've just been buying so much other crap since I do still have several thousand... I don't know why but when it comes to reloading I seriously pinch every penny. I need to stop being such a girl about it, and just buy. It'll beat what they will probably be this time next year for sure!

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Yeah I almost did the same thing... The last time I bought them I bought them in the store and $21.39 after tax at it felt a lot better... I think I may have to buy some online though. I've just been buying so much other crap since I do still have several thousand... I don't know why but when it comes to reloading I seriously pinch every penny. I need to stop being such a girl about it, and just buy. It'll beat what they will probably be this time next year for sure!

LOL. I wish the store had them when I bought them. I did check first. I try to pinch pennies too since I'm shooting close around 800 9mm a week. As long as I keep my costs around 10 cents per round I feel good about it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Steady stream of Mags and ammo coming in.
    Next week it will be ammo and Mags.

Mags is actually what I've been buying. I'd like to get some more 22 mags, and maybe a half dozen or ak mags. I am already picking some glock mags up on the brownells deal. While I know one can never have too many pmags or something of the likes but I've satisfied my taste for them for awhile

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    LOL. I wish the store had them when I bought them. I did check first. I try to pinch pennies too since I'm shooting close around 800 9mm a week. As long as I keep my costs around 10 cents per round I feel good about it.

I wish I was shooting that much a week! Some months I'll shoot that much or maybe even 1k but that's not many... I like to shoot a couple hundred or so at least every other week to feel as if I'm staying "on top of things" however since I've started reloading I honestly have quit keeping track too close. The only thing that tells me is each time I order projectiles. I'm also shooting jacketed projectiles and not cast. I think I've got 12 cents in what I'm shooting, maybe a touch under. I can't remember what I paying per powder charge...

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I wish I was shooting that much a week! Some months I'll shoot that much or maybe even 1k but that's not many... I like to shoot a couple hundred or so at least every other week to feel as if I'm staying "on top of things" however since I've started reloading I honestly have quit keeping track too close. The only thing that tells me is each time I order projectiles. I'm also shooting jacketed projectiles and not cast. I think I've got 12 cents in what I'm shooting, maybe a touch under. I can't remember what I paying per powder charge...

Around 80% of that is USPSA and Steel shoots. The rest is testing.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Around 80% of that is USPSA and Steel shoots. The rest is testing.

I'm not shooting any competition stuff. In fact I never have. I want to get out and really improve over the next 6 months though, I'm considering giving it a go for that more so than being competitive. I'm hitting up a training class on the 23rd so hopefully it'll get me off to a good start. I'm just wanting to shoot faster and continue to keep the groups acceptable. As well as slowly push the distance a bit while keeping those two things in line. Basically follow ups, transitions, and maybe improve my shot calling.

Top Bottom