• smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How is Credit Suisse effecting Swab?
    Latest Disclosed Ownership2,480,537 shares

Hope people are still not relying on Charles Swab given they just announced more share purchases of Credit Suisse as Credit Suisse hit all time lows(my guess is to buy this gem today https://www.cnbc.com/2023/03/15/cre...-says-stock-has-overshot-to-the-downside.html ).

valued at $206,529,511 USD as of December 31, 2022(when it was valued just a tad higher).
    Care to calculate Charles Swab losses since December?

Last edited:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    How does this help when banks have well over 600 billion on the books as undeclared losses?

It is certainly not helping taxpayers or shareholders only those who had the right political affiliation and deposits.

The SVB bailout is sucking tens of billions out of the Treasury and giving it to the FDIC for depositors. See for yourself.

https://fsapps.fiscal.treasury.gov/dts/files/23031000.txt
    Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) 2,267(positive funds YTD) March 10th report

https://fsapps.fiscal.treasury.gov/dts/files/23031300.txt
    Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) 40,019 40,332(withdraws YTD)March 13th report
    The reason for the two numbers on the second. 40,332 billion is YTD. 40,019 is this month so far.
    I believe this is the first time that has ever happened(40 billion+in withdraws,not from the fund itself but the US Treasury).
    This gem just hit at 4:45pm 3/15/2023
    Guess someone noticed 40 billion stolen from taxpayers(besides me). Will be interesting to see tomorrows Treasury report.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Guess someone noticed 40 billion stolen from taxpayers(besides me). Will be interesting to see tomorrows Treasury report.
    Are they deciding to circle the wagons around their own little family instead of circling them around their bigger picture family?

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    How does this help when banks have well over 600 billion on the books as undeclared losses?

It is certainly not helping taxpayers or shareholders only those who had the right political affiliation and deposits.

The SVB bailout is sucking tens of billions out of the Treasury and giving it to the FDIC for depositors. See for yourself.

https://fsapps.fiscal.treasury.gov/dts/files/23031000.txt
    Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) 2,267(positive funds YTD) March 10th report

https://fsapps.fiscal.treasury.gov/dts/files/23031300.txt
    Federal Deposit Insurance Corp (FDIC) 40,019 40,332(withdraws YTD)March 13th report
    The reason for the two numbers on the second. 40,332 billion is YTD. 40,019 is this month so far.
    I believe this is the first time that has ever happened(40 billion+in withdraws,not from the fund itself but the US Treasury).

I believe it helps because it reduces the risk of a run on banks. IF people think all their money is safe they are less likely to run and pull it out.

Economics has as much to do with emotion as it does actual spending needs.

I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, it is not, just that it may(?) help reduce worry.

Regards,

Doug

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana

Ah,of course he is. He is looking into theft that you and your party benefitted(intresting word with two correct spellings) from. Trust me no one is more shocked he was willing to than me.

bwillits

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2022
    Fishers, IN
    It’s been a wild last few days as I was on emergency calls throughout the weekend and this week due to SVB and the banks. I rep all of the big investment banks and talk with their trade/structuring desks daily and am in their NYC offices regularly meeting with teams.

Someone mentioned something along the lines of how businesses should have $500k max at a bank. For starters, that’s hard to do when you have a ton of cash (think AAPL). With that said, you can have FDIC coverage for more than 250k at a single bank if you structure it correctly. I have nonprofits and endowments that have millions protected under FDIC at the same institution.

Although banks like SVB can cause significant ripples, I worry more about banks such as CS. They do have the advantage of having the Swiss economy dependent on them and have some special ties to the mid govt. With that said, seeing where they stack up from a credit rating compared to other banks and seeing their headlines def are more concerning than banks like SVB.

Just something to really make you scratch your head…

Attachments

• EA7B330E-3886-4FBB-BAE1-08189399AE68.jpeg
      EA7B330E-3886-4FBB-BAE1-08189399AE68.jpeg
      83.9 KB · Views: 21

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    The system for daily US Treasury balances has changed. Not a little. Getting those two report the other day was very simple. Now I must learn the new system. If anyone wants to take a crack at it this is what it looks like now.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    The system for daily US Treasury balances has changed. Not a little. Getting those two report the other day was very simple. Now I must learn the new system. If anyone wants to take a crack at it this is what it looks like now.

Almost sounds like they are trying to make it difficult, surely not.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Almost sounds like they are trying to make it difficult, surely not.
    If you can pull up the data for 3/15/2023 I will be impressed(says at the top it was the latest update).
    I have yet to figure it out well enough to do anything but a quarterly report. All the reports at the bottom have nothing to do with the daily data set I have been looking at.

*edit. I figured out a work around kind of and have another report(edited the http text of an earlier report and changed it to 23031300 to 23031400 and it worked for the data up to the 14th,nothing on the 15th though and changing it to 5 takes you to a blank screen currently).
    I do not see any refund of the 40 billion though. It is still listed as a draw from the US Treasury to the FDIC(on the 14th).
    I think I just need to figure out the new system. It appears the old style disapeared the same day they claimed the FDIC refunded 40 billion(15th).

Last edited:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It’s been a wild last few days as I was on emergency calls throughout the weekend and this week due to SVB and the banks. I rep all of the big investment banks and talk with their trade/structuring desks daily and am in their NYC offices regularly meeting with teams.

Someone mentioned something along the lines of how businesses should have $500k max at a bank. For starters, that’s hard to do when you have a ton of cash (think AAPL). With that said, you can have FDIC coverage for more than 250k at a single bank if you structure it correctly. I have nonprofits and endowments that have millions protected under FDIC at the same institution.

Although banks like SVB can cause significant ripples, I worry more about banks such as CS. They do have the advantage of having the Swiss economy dependent on them and have some special ties to the mid govt. With that said, seeing where they stack up from a credit rating compared to other banks and seeing their headlines def are more concerning than banks like SVB.

Just something to really make you scratch your head…

That "$500k" was me. I get it. You can have multiple accounts with the same financial institution all individually insured by the FDIC.

My only point was that if they were going to do stupid to limit their stupid. If they were going to expose assets in an uninsured manner to limit the exposure. They did not. In my opinion they should lose everything that was over the $250k limit. But they won't.

Reagan was the first to bail out failing institutions. Then Bush Jr. Then Trump under Covid.

Fear drives us in bad directions. They bankruptcy system WORKS! It is slow and tedious, but it allows for people to experience the just consequences of their decisions and teaches others not to do it. Pain is a wonderful teacher. We are way to pain averse these days, regrettably.

Regards,

Doug

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    My only point was that if they were going to do stupid to limit their stupid. If they were going to expose assets in an uninsured manner to limit the exposure. They did not. In my opinion they should lose everything that was over the $250k limit. But they won't.
    Many of them weren't "stupid", many of them were "required" to use SVB as their exclusive bank as a covenant in their loan agreements.

And since many of them were unique small business unlikely to get financing elsewhere, kind of limits your options.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Dear Mr. Smith,

Since you have written to me on important issues in the past I wanted to let you know that I am fighting to protect Hoosiers from big bank failures. Banks in good standing should not be responsible for footing the bill due to poor decisions by Silicon Valley Bank and Signature Bank. President Biden created this chaos with his inflation bomb spending agenda, and now he wants Hoosiers to pay for his coastal elite bailout through increased fees at their banks. I’m exploring legislative actions to make sure the costs of this bailout don’t get passed onto regular Americans. Please keep in touch with me on issues of concern to you. If I may ever be of service, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Mike Braun
    U.S. Senator

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tweaver1500
    Top Bottom