• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I have a friend who can get me steel scraps fairly easily from his family business. They do not work with ar500 steel though. My questions:

I want to make a small pistol/rimfire range with a couple of reactive steel targets. I'm in college, so i have no reason/or the funds to be spending money on expensive ar500 steel.

1. could i shoot hot/cold rolled steel (that i could get for free) with my 9mm and .22 rimfire or would it be too dangerous?

2. If not, why not?

i Understand that hot/coled rolled steel is usually rated about ar200 but i'm new to steel target world. Inform me INGO! :rockwoot:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Ive watched to many videos of bullets (not frag) coming flying back towards the shooter for me to ever shoot mild steel. If you get a smaller square or circle its pretty cheap to get a perminate target.

Dig threw Lovemywoods threads started and you will see some pretty compelling evidence to stick with AR500

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I too had access to cheap steel scraps from a friend...however, after reading a lot about the risks of shooting the wrong type of steel, I decided to go ahead and pay a bit for the real deal AR500 3/8 plate. Can be had rather inexpensively from Bobcat Steel or Arntzen Targets. Plus can easily be hung from a $7.00 shepherds hook from Lowes.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    AR-500 or don't shoot steel. Mild steel dents and divots, and then sends rounds back at you.

Ever gotten wet trying to rince out a ladle in the sink? Same concept only bloodier.

Bobcat Steel has some very reasonably priced targets, the smallest circles and squares are $10 or less.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Look to the new plastic targets, I've had a couple and they work pretty well until you hit them with a mower,

They will take a bunch of 22lr but not a single mower blade

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Look to the new plastic targets, I've had a couple and they work pretty well until you hit them with a mower,

They will take a bunch of 22lr but not a single mower blade

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I bought one of the ones you throw on the ground and just keep shooting at it. It is shaped like a tophat. Walmart has them for $23. They make bigger ones that run up to $40. I have shot it with 22, 9, and 7.62x39. It does take a beating. Check out the HotBox in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ES8g1lmKSk

I like shooting steel too, but fun for the $, these are hard to beat.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

I bought one of the ones you throw on the ground and just keep shooting at it. It is shaped like a tophat. Walmart has them for $23. They make bigger ones that run up to $40. I have shot it with 22, 9, and 7.62x39. It does take a beating. Check out the HotBox in the video.

For $40 you can get around half of the steel targets Bobcat sells. I'd go with the steel.

Here is the review lovemywoods did about did on steel targets.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/bobcat_steel/249185-fragmentation_patterns_off_of_steel_targets_pic_heavy.html

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Wonder how these perform against steel core.

Top Bottom