• ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for posting this! I kinda sorta remembered the app time was getting close, then managed to completely forget about it. Let's see if I get in for Fort Harrison SP--it'd be really nice if I do.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    I applied for the state park reduction hunts at Prophets Town state park this morning.
    My application was accepted before 5:00am.

It's that time of year again...
    Applied this year, if I am reading the regs right, if ya get a deer in the reduction hunts they don't go against your tags ?

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Applied this year, if I am reading the regs right, if ya get a deer in the reduction hunts they don't go against your tags ?
    If you are a horn hunter this is one way to get multiple bucks per year. If drawn none of the bucks go towards you bag limit.

You can then get one through your normal tags, and a second through the urban reduction zone earn a buck system.

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    If you are a horn hunter this is one way to get multiple bucks per year. If drawn none of the bucks go towards you bag limit.

You can then get one through your normal tags, and a second through the urban reduction zone earn a buck system.
    Hoping to fill outside then get couple in parks.s gotta get freezers filled. 5 kids drai. Them fast lol

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    In the draw for Chain O Lakes with our youngest and a friend. Gonna try 10mm this year. Now we wait…
    Not sure about the rules elsewhere, but the Prophets Town state park is pistol caliber carbine ONLY.
    No handguns or muzzle loaders.
    I believe you can use a shotgun, but no handguns.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Not sure about the rules elsewhere, but the Prophets Town state park is pistol caliber carbine ONLY.
    According to the DNR website, under reduction hunts, is this:
    "All firearms, which may be legally used to hunt deer on public land in Indiana (as seen in the 2023-2024 Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide) will be allowed."
    According to the deer regulations:
    Barrel length: 4” minimum
    Bullet diameter: .243” minimum
    Case length: 1.16” minimum, except for 10 mm
    • 10 mm also legal cartridges (i.e. 10 mm Auto and .40 S&W)

I might be missing something.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    According to the DNR website, under reduction hunts, is this:
    "All firearms, which may be legally used to hunt deer on public land in Indiana (as seen in the 2023-2024 Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide) will be allowed."
    According to the deer regulations:
    Barrel length: 4” minimum
    Bullet diameter: .243” minimum
    Case length: 1.16” minimum, except for 10 mm
    • 10 mm also legal cartridges (i.e. 10 mm Auto and .40 S&W)

I might be missing something.
    Some parks can set their own rules for allowed guns…..contact the park and ask

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    They go by case length/diameter not caliber for public land use state wide.

Equipment on Public Land

Rifle cartridges for public lands (state and federal property) must meet the following requirements:

• Fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger,
    • Have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and
    • Have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    It's been 5+ years since I hunted there so things may have changed since then but almost everyone hunted with shotguns and muzzleloaders were also allowed back then. I'm not sure about handguns.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    It's been 5+ years since I hunted there so things may have changed since then but almost everyone hunted with shotguns and muzzleloaders were also allowed back then. I'm not sure about handguns.
    I know most of the public land areas allow handguns and muzzle loaders, but Prophet's Town dies not.
    I have hunted this area the last two times it was open and was unsuccessful, but have high hopes for this year.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I know most of the public land areas allow handguns and muzzle loaders, but Prophet's Town dies not.
    I have hunted this area the last two times it was open and was unsuccessful, but have high hopes for this year.
    Yes, I was talking specifically about Prophet's Town. I hunted it twice but its been a long time as I mentioned. I killed a small buck the first time and saw a nicer buck without getting a shot the second time both in the same location. IMO, it is one of the better State Parks to hunt, if only because you can get away from the idiots if your really want to.

Top Bottom