• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I was successful at Brown Co! First time I've ever been drawn for anything and I've put in for elk, gator, etc, etc, etc all over the country.

So, how many other hunters can I expect? Is it going to be crowded like we're bumping into each other? Or just a handful?

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    First time applicant and my buddy and I got drawn for the second round brown county. Anyone ever been for the reduction hunt?

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    First time applicant and my buddy and I got drawn for the second round brown county. Anyone ever been for the reduction hunt?

the 28th/29th? I got drawn for that one as well. I'm wondering how many hunters were drawn. Will we have to duck all day from flying lead from everyone?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Got a no-go for early archery hunt at Ft. Ben S.P.
    Got picked for Summit Lake S.P. late hunt.
    I went through hunter's ed with my brother, we were both in our 40s at the time. It was truly a good experience with like minded people, glad I did it.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    144   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    the 28th/29th? I got drawn for that one as well. I'm wondering how many hunters were drawn. Will we have to duck all day from flying lead from everyone?

In a park that size I would guess they invite @500 hunters. I have hunted Versailles for a few years and I was told they invite 300 if I recall correctly.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    In a park that size I would guess they invite @500 hunters. I have hunted Versailles for a few years and I was told they invite 300 if I recall correctly.
    My in-laws live next to Versailles. I was going to apply for it this year, but my in-laws said it sounded like a shooting range every time there's a reduction hunt. I asked them what they meant and FIL said that it sounded like several different hunters all shooting at the same time so he made it sound like it was overcrowded & multiple shooters firing at a deer on the run. I assumed he was not exaggerating but I have never done a reduction hunt there so I cannot say for sure.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I do not recall paying anything to take the course on line but I do not think its a bad idea. It does not cost anything extra for these hunts and there is a limited number of people who are drawn. Most draw hunts have a preference point system. I know that I enter to hunt back in PA for Elk every year and you receive preference points for every year that you enter. It also costs $10 just to enter the draw which you don't get back if you aren't drawn.

If you don't want to take the course, it does not eliminate you from getting drawn, you just don't get a preference point. I am sure there are plenty of people who have gotten drawn who have not taken the course.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Well I got to go to a state park the last two days to hunt. Struck out both days. Lots of deer sign in the area I hunted but they never showed up. When I left the park today at 3 PM there had been a total of 18 deer checked for both days combined.

Top Bottom