• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Pretty simple little thread about a good starter bow that could even be used for hunting next year since i want to get really used to it and consistent before even attempting hunting. Was looking at the SAS Rage or a Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro as i believe it's the better of the two even if it's double the price of a SAS Rage. From what I hear the Infinite Edge is a very nice starter and better than some higher dollar bows. I haven't seen much about the Rage except it's a good starter. Any feedback or experience from the guys here?

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    It all depends on your situation. Right now there really is not a company out there making a "bad" bow. Technology in the archery world has made it so that some of the least expensive bows out there shoot like a dream compared to top end bows of just a few years ago. I would steer you away from the massively adjustable bows like the Infinite Edge unless you are a teenager and still growing. These types of bows are awesome for youth and growing teens. But once a person is done growing they will find better performance for the money out of a fixed draw length bow with limbs that fall in a 10-15# adjustment window. So the best thing that you can do is get into as many good archery shops as you can find. You need to set a budget and you need to shoot bows (even those outside of your budget) to get a feel of what you like or dislike in a bow. Shooting a bow has a very personal feel to it and what I like may not match what you like. The more bows you put your hands on the better you will feel with your final purchase. You are starting at the right time to be 100% by next deer season. Lots of time to shoot different bows. This is also a good time as 2017 bows are coming out so shops often mark down remaining 2016 bows.

As far as brands that offer a lot for a lower price ... Mission, Diamond, Bear, Martin, PSE, Parker, Darton, among others. All of these are awesome brands for the price.

Brands that you won't find many low price options will be ... Mathews, Bowtech, Hoyt, Elite, Obsession, Athens, among others. All are amazing, but have few if any lower priced models.

Another option if you have a good bow shop or someone who knows what they are doing is to go with a used bow. For example Elite offers a 100% transferable lifetime warranty, so it is hard to go wrong. But you have to know what to look for or have a good bow shop to support you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Mathews/Mission Hype DT or PSE Stinger. These are marketed as starter bows, but also have wide drawlength and weight adjustments.........usually for a growing archer.
    They'll kill deer just fine at adult settings, and when you upgrade down the road, you can back these down to fit other family members.

I most times shoot a recurve, kills deer dead and is slow as can be compared to these new starter compounds.

Used bows..............yup, looking for a 2005 Hoyt Ultratec (esp if in Safari finish). I like the old cam and a half system, but if the bow is worn, expect to dump another 100 bucks for new string/cables.
    Located a decent cam and a half rig, 2004...........not an Ultra. Wants 150 for it. So by the time I get it dialed in, that's 250............in a used rig with nothing on it.

Oldie but goodie...........bought a wood handled compound from the 80's. Golden Eagle "Falcon". Don't see 'em much. Going to tear it apart and restore it. Worst case- a bowfishing rig.
    Have restored recurves, a few Oneida compounds, and even used compound riser for custom recurve. Lucky to break even on 'em.

I still might get an Oneida to rebuild for myself. One last model. Looked for a LFM.............prices too high. Proly get a 50-70# Aeroforce, Medium or Short.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Almost all new bows, or those of recent production...........are meant for use with a mechanical release.
    Shame.
    Had a lot of fun shooting compounds fingers.
    Hoyt does have one model supposedly for fingers, but with 65% letoff..........probably a 2 under type of deal. Prefer shooting 3, 2 under, 1 top (split).
    Hence the purchase of the old Golden Eagle. I'll have maybe 100 in it, if I have to slap new cables on it (have source to make cables cheap).

INDPrepper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    I've decided to buy a 2017 PSE Infinity in Mossy Oak.
    To go along with my two old time clunkers ;)
    I'm thinking about going with a Bear Cruzer. I feel that it would be nice. Still though, doing more research to maybe find something better.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    You should be ok with any reputatable brand. Bear makes good equipment. The biggest thing is making sure it fits you properly. If you buy from an archery shop, they should take the time to get everything set up for you. If you buy online, you will want to find someone who can help you or take it to a shop and pay them to help you. As others have said you might find a used bow for sell, especially since some of the big companies have already released their new models. Just make sure whatever you buy the draw length and weight is in your range. You will spend more money if u need to buy different limbs, cams/modules, strings, etc to get it to fit you.

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    DEC is spot on, shoot all that you can get your hands on don't get caught up in brands or what others like. Been bow hunting 30+ yrs and I shoot a Hoyt Carbon turbo and I shot them all before buying it nothing worse than getting a new rigg and wishing you got something else later

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    I started bow hunting 10 years ago and went with 300 dollars bows like PSE Stingers and Bears entry level flavor for the year. These bows were acceptable and I killed dear with them. This past year I decided to go with a Hoyt Powermax for 499.00 and am blown away at the difference in accuracy, speed, tuning that I see in spending just 200 bucks more.

I wasted good money going the cheap route early on and much frustration in tuning when I wish I would have just went middle of the road like I did now. It won't take you that long to get good enough to be able to hunt. You can be up and ready to hunt within a month of shooting and practicing everyday. The shot isn't the hardest part of bow hunting, it is the placement of a good stand to get close enough....the timing of when to stand and or draw....and the ability to even get to the point where you place your finger on the release trigger without getting busted that is the hardest part.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've shot top end gear for decades (usually two bows per yr).
    Have gone the other route.............today's mid range bows are solid performers (without breaking the bank).
    Even some entry level bows are pretty good.

I'll drop a grand for a new Blckwidow recurve, but not any compound.

Like some of the older high end compounds over the new stuff.

I don't shoot indoors or 3D anymore, so don't need the latest and greatest.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    A lot of archers think they need the latest/greatest and buy a new model every year so you can find a good deal on like new, gently used bows once you handle a few and figure out what fits you best. Another option is to buy a new bow from the previous model year since high end bow manufacturers bring out new models and discontinue older ones every year. You can get unfired bows from previous model years that would have been $900-$1000 for as little as $300-$450.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I doubt that. The markup on bows is not that large (they make the $ on accessories).
    You might save 100, maybe 200 on a top end last yr's bow. The market is such they don't have to give them away.
    Add an extra yr............maybe an extra 100 to 200 off.
    Plus some stuff is program ordered with manufacturer buy back if it doesn't sell.
    The deal is............some stuff on the racks new..........is 3 to 5 yrs old..........and they look pretty much like the latest.
    Then you have the demo bows.

Of course, if it's not this yr's model, try to get it as cheap as you can :)

But I'm seeing used bows at the 450 mark............that are 7 yrs old, going for 50% of their new price stripped.
    And they do sell (but then used bows may be more prone to trade than buy outright- so pricing probably flexible).

You aint gonna get a new Hoyt or Mathews top end for 50% because it's a yr old.............not from a shop.

Used but like new??????..................

Somebody caught banging the neighbor gal?
    X mas bills due?
    Lost a job?
    Just wants to have the latest and greatest?

Maybe.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I shoot both compounds and longbows. Sometimes it fun shooting can on my targets at crazy archery ranges that I would never attempt during deer hunting. I shoot a little over 70lbs with my Hoyt.
    I am a huge fan of Dan Toelke bows which is a traditional bowyer. I shoot between 53-62lbs. With these bows I have more fun shooting flowers,leaves,bugs or anything else on the ground. You can't do that to well with a compound unless you want to go through a dozen arrows in no time.
    if I didn't get target panic at times with traditional gear when I hunt I would use them more. If you keep the demons from your head and limit yourself to practical ranges you are not at to many disadvantages with traditional equipment. The first time you let an arrow go on a deer and connect it does seem to bring a different high and feeling of success.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    I would also say this. You have some pretty good resale value on many trad bows. You will find the price on these bows will hold pretty firm for many trad bows that are over 10 years old. A compound bow that is 10 years old is looked at more of a relic.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had $950 in my Blackwidow PSA2 (stripped).
    Quiver and arrows $100.
    Sold it in a flash for $600.
    Close to 500 lost..............but there's more to that story............I bought the bow new (had it built) in '01.
    Hunted with it, killed a few deer and bashed it in bowfishing. BW fixed it, but the fix cracked and they deemed it "unsafe" and offered me a new bow, of same type, at whatever # and length I wanted............for $132 bucks (or something like that). Pro-rated warranty. Damage was from accident, not warranty.............but I paid and had another made just like it (hence the total of $950 in the bow, initial plus replacement). I shot that a couple of yrs before my shoulder problem forced the sale.

6 yrs of shooting (almost daily, did 3D, killed hundreds of carp, a half dozen deer)...........and I lost 500 bucks.
    That means it costme $100 bucks a yr (less actually).............to shoot a top end recurve, have a freakin' ball doing it..............and I sold that bow super quick. Probably could have gotten more out of it but knew the dude wanting it and cut him a deal. He refused to sell it back later when my shoulder healed up..............he likes it so much.

IMHO I might have lost some money, if measured only in that way.....................but the fun I had, was worth way more than that.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Paid $300 for my used HF1225. Have another 125 in quiver and half doz arrows.
    It's in VVG shape, better than most, and as such is worth what I paid for it (shot 2 yrs= lose no money).
    I lost $50 on the previous used metal riser Widow, shot it 3 yrs? Could have broke even but had purchased the one I have now, so didn't need the other (60# was getting tougher).

Paid $65 shipped for a Golden Eagle wood riser "Falcon". Have it all torn apart and refinishing the riser (2nd coat). New string and it'll be good to go.
    Will have $100 in it when done (counting quiver- no arrows- have those from other bows already).

Doc says no shooting for a month. I might get out last weekend with the Golden Eagle and stick something :)

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    DEC...is right on. The only thing I would ad to this...This is the right time of year to buy your bow and accessories. You don't want to wait until spring. From spring on the price only goes up. If you are buying a "starter bow" you don't want to spend much money. Mission Bows are very good and if you do get the Mission Craze or the Mission Menace they are highly adjustable and marketed as "First or Youth Bows." Because of this they hold their value well as new archers generally don't have much money to throw at their first bow. They are "priced right" especially when used. If you can afford it buy a nice rest or set of sights that you can then in a few years put on your upgrade but you might just be satisfied enough with your first bow that you will keep it longer than anticipated. Build a relationship with a Local Archery Shop so they can set you up correctly. Bows are like shoes...they need to fit you.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    On the Mission line..........I think the Hype DT a better rig than the Menace or Craze (those two being more kids bows).
    I just couldn't get past the axle system on them........was looking at the higher end Ballistic.
    It had normal axles and was a faster, but that meant more aggressive draw cycle and with my ailment, I wanted something more "polite".
    Cool bow though, bud's kid has one. Smokes deer just fine.

Top Bottom