• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    After our last power outage it seems like getting a Natural Gas standby generator is the way to go. It looks like based on my needs I will need 20,000 watts. Ive heard others say their installations cost 8k or more. I went to Menards and a 20k Genrac unit is about 4K. The transfer switch looks to be another 600. I would do all the prep myself and just hire an electrican to do the electrical connections. Im thinking I could wrap it up for around $5500.

I also visited genracs site and seem to show 2 different lines of standby generators, the Guardian, and the Centurian Series. Based on their website I can't see any difference between the 2, does anyone have any insight?

My decision on what to buy won't be a quick one and I have a lot more research to do. I welcome any information.

Id also be interested in recommendations on where to buy in NW Indiana

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    We have a Guardian. I do think it was about $8K installed, but in the long run, it's worth it. Seems like we have at least a couple power outages every year that last a few days.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    20KW is a big unit, are you planning on powering everything in your home? Are you sure your NG supply line is big enough to feed it?

This, not just to run the generator, but anything else that relies on your gas service, most importantly your furnace.

We (the wife) decided to get a pool this year and I had to get NIPSCO to move both my gas and electric meters from the East side of my house to the North side this summer. I took the opportunity to prep myself for getting one of those NG/LP generators. I upgraded my gas from a 1" line that reduced down to 3/4" after the first appliance fitting to a 1 1/2" gas line that stays a 1 1/2" "backbone" after every appliance. When I installed the new electric meter pedestal, I also installed an outdoor rated 200A panel for all the outdoor stuff, and connected the indoor house panel mains to the feed-through lugs. My DIY generator install will be easy... except for the part of carrying the thing 120' or so around to the back of the house.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Unless you are running an electric stove, microwave, 220v water pump(well) and electric heat all at the same time there is no reason anyone would need a 20kw generator. A 10kw will be more than enough for a home with gas appliances/heat.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I think you underestimated the electricians cost. Gonna need a permit, hard to sneak an install in there if you're hiring contractors.
    Generators gonna need to meet your community code, such as concrete pad and/or shelter around it.

danimal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2011
    Unincorporated Lake County
    Unless you are running an electric stove, microwave, 220v water pump(well) and electric heat all at the same time there is no reason anyone would need a 20kw generator. A 10kw will be more than enough for a home with gas appliances/heat.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you. A 10Kw generator is only 40A of 240v max output; typically 10% less when using NG instead of LP. During the summer the A/C is 30A right off the top, you're running the generator at over 75% load; not good. By the time you add a refrigerator/freezer, you're maxed out, and burning that motor up.

While it's tempting to just buy a generator you think can cover everything you need to run, you usually only want to run the generator at no more than a 50% load.

A/C - 30A 240v
    2 refridgerators - 15A 240v (each fridge on separate legs)
    Pool pump and accessories - 15A 240v

60A x 240v = 14400 * 111% (10% NG loss vs. LP) = 15984W

I'm looking at needing a 30KW minimum to cover me as my highest electric requirements is during the summer (stupid pool, grumble grumble). My water heater, furnace, and stove are all gas (control circuits and blowers necessary of course)

This doesn't include simple extras like Internet router, garage door opener, sump pump, or even lighting. And true, the A/C won't necessarily take a full 30A, but it will be more than 20A and also have to include the blower on the central system. The standby generators don't typically have a "starting watts" rating like the portables do, the 10K is 10K, no more, and most of the time less on NG.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Are you getting the whole house ATS?

We got that exact unit installed from MCS Electric a couple of years ago with the ATS. It was between 7 & 8K. We also had to get a new larger gas meter.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    Check with your natural gas supplier. I bought a 14kW that runs my whole house and have the largest residential gas meter they have (i think that was like $700 to change). They said it was undersized but i told them i had no plans to utilize all the gas sources while on the generator. I bought mine online free delivery.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I did a worksheet on the genrac site and they said I needed either a 17K or a 20K unit. At menards the price was about 500 difference between the two. With the total cost involved I think that 500 is a drop in the bucket and well worth the piece of mind. In addition to the worksheet I do some fabrication and would like to be able to use my welder or 5hp compressor during a outage if necessary.

I will have to do some research on the gas line and meter, thanks for bringing that up.

I figure on doing all the labor except the actual tieing in of the wires, I am in an unincorporated area and don't plan on pulling a permit.

I plan on a automatic transfer switch that will prioritize some circuits over others

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If the power is out, why would you want to use a welder or compressor?
    For one thing, small generators are inefficient. Compared to the grid, you're going to be paying extra for the capabilities and for the actual generation.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If the power is out, why would you want to use a welder or compressor?
    For one thing, small generators are inefficient. Compared to the grid, you're going to be paying extra for the capabilities and for the actual generation.

How about this scenario? Power is out for several days and we get a big snowstorm. My snowplow breaks and I need to fix it. How would you suggest I fix it if I can't use my power tools? If the power is out I would like the ability to have the same capabilities to take care of myself as I would have otherwise.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    How about this scenario? Power is out for several days and we get a big snowstorm. My snowplow breaks and I need to fix it. How would you suggest I fix it if I can't use my power tools? If the power is out I would like the ability to have the same capabilities to take care of myself as I would have otherwise.

ok

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana

^^^^^

Truth.

I run a 2500 sq. ft home (without heat and central air) with a 5000 watt unit. That keeps our fridge and freezers going, basic lighting, TV, internet, and a microwave to cook with. We've never tripped the breaker on it, and my wife's direct quote was "I couldn't tell the difference being on the generator."

It is nice to have the extra capacity, but usually in times of an outage you are only going to need the essentials anyway. You can probably save at least half the cost and expense and go down to a much smaller unit in the 8-12kw range and be perfectly happy.

Now...if you are looking to always run on the genny, then maybe you should get the big unit, but the $/kw*hr math still won't work in your favor.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I did a worksheet on the genrac site and they said I needed either a 17K or a 20K unit. At menards the price was about 500 difference between the two. With the total cost involved I think that 500 is a drop in the bucket and well worth the piece of mind. In addition to the worksheet I do some fabrication and would like to be able to use my welder or 5hp compressor during a outage if necessary.

I will have to do some research on the gas line and meter, thanks for bringing that up.

I figure on doing all the labor except the actual tieing in of the wires, I am in an unincorporated area and don't plan on pulling a permit.

I plan on a automatic transfer switch that will prioritize some circuits over others
    If you are going to get a 20Kw generator, get the whole house ATS. Why get a generator that can run the whole house and then only power certain circuits?

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    ^^^^^

Truth.

I run a 2500 sq. ft home (without heat and central air) with a 5000 watt unit. That keeps our fridge and freezers going, basic lighting, TV, internet, and a microwave to cook with. We've never tripped the breaker on it, and my wife's direct quote was "I couldn't tell the difference being on the generator."

It is nice to have the extra capacity, but usually in times of an outage you are only going to need the essentials anyway. You can probably save at least half the cost and expense and go down to a much smaller unit in the 8-12kw range and be perfectly happy.

Now...if you are looking to always run on the genny, then maybe you should get the big unit, but the $/kw*hr math still won't work in your favor.

I have central air and a mother who lives with me that has breathing difficulties. A power outage in the heat of summer would kill her without air conditioning I need the house fully functional, not some sort of adventure campout

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    If you are going to get a 20Kw generator, get the whole house ATS. Why get a generator that can run the whole house and then only power certain circuits?

They have panels with circuitry that will cut some circuits when other higher priority circuits like airconditioning, sewer ejector punp, etc are on and then restore them when the load from those circuits isn't being used. I like the idea of having enough capability but minimizing stress on the generator, particularly on startup.

buffalohump

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2012
    I have 17KW Generac LP, With a water furnace , a well. I love it. I am the next to last customer on Duke (sometimes energy) line. & when power is out I must be last to repair. This generator is Nat or LP. 15 KW on Nat.

Top Bottom