• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I want to remove the blueing from my mosin barrel and just have a steel barrel. From what I've read online it seems like a pretty easy process, but I thought I better ask around on ingo before I do something stupid by mistake. From what i understand I can set the barrel in vinegar to remove the blueing and then use steal wool to to remove and rust or crap on the barrel, then i can polish the barrel. Then i just apply BROWNELLS-GUN-KOTE™OVEN CURE, GUN FINISH and let it bake in my oven for an hour or so and its all good. does that sound right?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Your title is misleading as it won't be stainless steel at all.

Good luck, I can't offer you any advice as I've never tried this.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Stainless is stainless all the way through, not just a coating. It's not just bare steel; it's an entirely different ally with a couple of other metals mixed in to pretty much prevent corrosion.

I'm not personally familiar with the coating you're planning on using, but from the name of it, it sounds like it should work. I'd just worry about dings and scratches, leading to rust.

You might try a small sample of steel, rod or whatever, polish it up and clean clean clean it, then bake some of the coating on. Torture it a little bit to see what it'll take before you commit to a whole rifle barrel.

majew

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    Stainless is stainless all the way through, not just a coating. It's not just bare steel; it's an entirely different ally with a couple of other metals mixed in to pretty much prevent corrosion.

I'm not personally familiar with the coating you're planning on using, but from the name of it, it sounds like it should work. I'd just worry about dings and scratches, leading to rust.

You might try a small sample of steel, rod or whatever, polish it up and clean clean clean it, then bake some of the coating on. Torture it a little bit to see what it'll take before you commit to a whole rifle barrel.

good idea.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom