• ...and so much more!
  • Which one?

• Total voters

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    I find it shocking that so many people choose the M1A and it makes me suspicious that some may have more money than sense, less skill than money, or are blinded by nostalgia. I love wood socks, I love traditionally lined rifles, but if budget was in any way a concern, shtf was in the back of the mind (which it appears to be), and a guy wanted to tell his buddies that his dad was a molecular badologist I would take the AR-10.

It's easier to work on. Hella accurate (got pics to prove it). Easier to scope (even if you take the time to get sadlacs gauges its easier to scope an AR. If you suggest an LRB M25 receiver fixes that, fine, go spend your 2.5k).

For elegance and pinky-upness go M1A. I spent a year with one almost everyday. Killed a bunch of coyotes. Hooray. For gettin sh!+ done and looking tactilicious in the doing there is the magical modular magnificence of Gosport, IN own Eugene Stoner's AR10. Accept no substitutes.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'd have to vote for an M1A only because every time I've bought a DPMS 308 we ended up finding out we were having a baby shortly after and I'm tired of changing diapers.

My first DPMS was a standard 308B. I changed the trigger and had a rifle shooting 1/2" groups and was ringing steel out to 800 yards pretty easily..... until we found out about our first child on the way and I needed to free up some cash. My second DPMS was a 308B but this time had an A3 upper with 6 position stock. I changed the trigger and again had a 1/2" shooting rifle. This time I was a little more adventurous and was actually able to ring steel at 1,000 yards with it..... until we found out about baby #2 and it was in my best interest to sell the rifle to free up some cash.

Seriously, if you want accuracy buy a DPMS and expect to upgrade the trigger. If you want US history and SHTF reliability then the M1A is the way to go.

Keep in mind the magazines though too. I'm a big fan of the 20rd Magpul Pmags in 308. For $20 those mags are hard to beat.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    M14 clones all the way...why?....I love USGI parts on the older ones. And don't forget to get a M1 Garand too.

Easy to install a Basset mount, one bolt takes less than 30 seconds to put on and take off and accurate....German MEN ammo hitting the steel gong at 740 yards.

Last edited:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    No bad will intended here, but if the AR-10 is all that then why are US soldiers using 1950-60s era M14 rifles in the warzone right now? Answer - because the rifle works. I have not seen much writing on the use of the AR-10 in Afghanistan, it may be I haven't seen it yet. Yes, I will agree that most AR set ups can have an accuracy edge. It did not take much to get my M14/M1A punching tight groups. Simple, cheap gas system shims and peening the front slots for the front sight, flash suppressor. Now I feel that I have a much better, proven weapon system that is based on the M1 Garand, which has proven itself.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    No bad will intended here, but if the AR-10 is all that then why are US soldiers using 1950-60s era M14 rifles in the warzone right now? Answer - because the rifle works. I have not seen much writing on the use of the AR-10 in Afghanistan, it may be I haven't seen it yet. Yes, I will agree that most AR set ups can have an accuracy edge. It did not take much to get my M14/M1A punching tight groups. Simple, cheap gas system shims and peening the front slots for the front sight, flash suppressor. Now I feel that I have a much better, proven weapon system that is based on the M1 Garand, which has proven itself.

Maybe because the government had a stockpile of them and didn't want to buy new rifles? Yes the rifle works, so do 308 ARs, but since the military doesn't have a stock pile of them, then why buy a new rifle system?

Yes they work, and I like my Garand and always liked the MiA. But, they're decently delicate IMO. They can fire out of battery (real impressive then they do) and worry about bending the op rod (more of a Garand issue).

Plus, mounting a scope on a M1A is tedious and up until Springfield made an aluminum mount, the mounts were heavy and expensive. Then when you have an optic on it, you can't get a good cheek weld because the scope sits so high, or at least has been the case in the many I've handled. Shooting iron sights they feel great, but otherwise, ehh; IMO

The M1A and the Garand is a classic. But overal, I'd still choose the 308 AR platform because of ergonomics and just being able to customize it.

The M1A does hold the advantage of parts being interchangeable, because a lot of 308 ARs are bastard children, but I'd get a 308 AR first then pick up a M1A, mostly having the M1A just for the novelty.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'd have to vote for an M1A only because every time I've bought a DPMS 308 we ended up finding out we were having a baby shortly after and I'm tired of changing diapers.

My first DPMS was a standard 308B. I changed the trigger and had a rifle shooting 1/2" groups and was ringing steel out to 800 yards pretty easily..... until we found out about our first child on the way and I needed to free up some cash. My second DPMS was a 308B but this time had an A3 upper with 6 position stock. I changed the trigger and again had a 1/2" shooting rifle. This time I was a little more adventurous and was actually able to ring steel at 1,000 yards with it..... until we found out about baby #2 and it was in my best interest to sell the rifle to free up some cash.

Seriously, if you want accuracy buy a DPMS and expect to upgrade the trigger. If you want US history and SHTF reliability then the M1A is the way to go.

Keep in mind the magazines though too. I'm a big fan of the 20rd Magpul Pmags in 308. For $20 those mags are hard to beat.

The trigger on my bone stock Sportical gets better everytime I dry fire or live fire it. It is a creepy single stage but I am going to keep working with it. I have two stage triggers on all of my AR15 rifles. I prefer two stage, but I think this single stage may get better as it wears in.

Lots of you guys know that I have shot the M1 and then the M1A for many, many years. I reluctantly learned to shoot the AR15 and it took a while to learn to shoot it accurately.

I especially resisted the AR10 because of expensive mags and a general distrust of the platform. I have proven to myself that at least, DPMS makes a very good rifle and that maybe I waited too long to get one. It is far superior to the M1A insofar as ergonomics, optics mounting, mag changes, weight, and maintenance requirements to the 1930's design M1Garand modified in the 1950's to a detachable magazineM14 rifle.

I now think that a single lower with two uppers in .308 can fill all of my needs for a self defense rifle and a match rifle.

I am seriously considering selling my match grade M1A in favor of another AR10 type rifle.

Last edited:

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Maybe because the government had a stockpile of them and didn't want to buy new rifles? Yes the rifle works, so do 308 ARs, but sitnce the military doesn't have a stock pile of them, then why buy a new rifle system?

Yes they work, and I like my Garand and always liked the MiA. But, they're decently delicate IMO. They can fire out of battery (real impressive then they do) and worry about bending the op rod (more of a Garand issue).

Plus, mounting a scope on a M1A is tedious and up until Springfield made an aluminum mount, the mounts were heavy and expensive. Then when you have an optic on it, you can't get a good cheek weld because the scope sits so high, or at least has been the case in the many I've handled. Shooting iron sights they feel great, but otherwise, ehh; IMO

The M1A and the Garand is a classic. But overal, I'd still choose the 308 AR platform because of ergonomics and just being able to customize it.

The M1A does hold the advantage of parts being interchangeable, because a lot of 308 ARs are bastard children, but I'd get a 308 AR first then pick up a M1A, mostly having the M1A just for the novelty.

Not to sure on how an AR10's bolt is, but if it's similar to an AR15's it has just as much chance of an out of battery firing as an M1A/M1

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    LR308 all day long brother. Easy to work on and mod to your likes,cheaper, more accurate out of the box. Easy to transition if you have other AR rifles. I have traveled down the same road and went with a regular AR15 chambered in 5.56. I bought it because it was cheaper to shoot. I took another AR in trade and converted it to 300BLK now I feel like I have the best of both worlds. Lighter, cheaper to buy and shoot still than the 308 and it can be supressed. Sweet!

I would only go 308 if you have the range to shoot it far. I love the looks of the DPMS LR308 16". I have a bull sweet 16 DPMS and love it. Sub MOA rifle with an upgraded trigger as others have mentioned.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    The government is sending heavily modified M14s out because they had them stockpiled, that is the reason. A lot of that work is being done here in Indiana down at Crane. I would also add that they aren't being sent out stock, they are being modified...TO BE MORE LIKE ARs. Hee hee.

M14 is a great rifle but it didn't for the OP's post at all.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I find it shocking that so many people choose the M1A and it makes me suspicious that some may have more money than sense, Nope not I

less skill than money, Nope got way more skills that money

or are blinded by nostalgia. Can't claim this either

I love wood socks, I love traditionally lined rifles, but if budget was in any way a concern, shtf was in the back of the mind (which it appears to be), and a guy wanted to tell his buddies that his dad was a molecular badologist I would take the AR-10.

Actually I am hearing some major teething problems with the M110 SASS over in Trashcanistan, not so much with the EBR M14s

It's easier to work on. Hella accurate (got pics to prove it). Easier to scope (even if you take the time to get sadlacs gauges its easier to scope an AR. If you suggest an LRB M25 receiver fixes that, fine, go spend your 2.5k).

Legos usually are easier to work on. Seriously the Basset mount is easy enuf a caveman could mount it.

For elegance and pinky-upness go M1A. I spent a year with one almost everyday. Killed a bunch of coyotes. Hooray. For gettin sh!+ done and looking tactilicious in the doing there is the magical modular magnificence of Gosport, IN own Eugene Stoner's AR10. Accept no substitutes.

Current AR10s have about as much in common with Mr. Stoner's design as the M60 did with the MG42. Ain't nuthin pinky-upness about a rifle design that was proven in 2 wars then updated the way the original designer wanted in the first place and fielded again for a thrid war. It's now in it's 5th war and the reports are still glowing.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    The government is sending heavily modified M14s out because they had them stockpiled, that is the reason. A lot of that work is being done here in Indiana down at Crane. I would also add that they aren't being sent out stock, they are being modified...TO BE MORE LIKE ARs. Hee hee.

M14 is a great rifle but it didn't for the OP's post at all.

I would have to agree to disagree on that. After having a conversation w/HKfiend here on this board, his personal experience over in Iraq is quite the contrary. He was a DMR and he carried a bare-bones M1A w/nothing more than a mount(Sadlak or ARMS) and Leupold scope. Yes, that's right it was Springfield semi-auto M1A w/nothing done to it. You can PM him if you don't believe me.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I would have to agree to disagree on that. After having a conversation w/HKfiend here on this board, his personal experience over in Iraq is quite the contrary. He was a DMR and he carried a bare-bones M1A w/nothing more than a mount(Sadlak or ARMS) and Leupold scope. Yes, that's right it was Springfield semi-auto M1A w/nothing done to it. You can PM him if you don't believe me.

Thats the first M!A I heard of over there. Of course all M14's are and came out originally as semi-auto. It was and is up to who ever is in charge as to which ones are converted over to select fire to make them full auto.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I voted AR10 because I have one and have shot one. Cant say the same for the M1A. But honestly you will be good to go with either Id say. Really just boils down to which one you like better.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    one of my favorite things about an m1a.... the iron sights. LONG sight radius, and LOW to the bore. Makes shooting fast with them oh so easy (eg 3-gun type use, or other "practical" applications). Being so low to the bore, you don't have the massive hold-overs up close like you do w/ an AR.

-rvb

Top Bottom