• ...and so much more!
  • Which one?

• Total voters

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Purpose: To pretend to be the cool guy who survives the zombie movie. Perhaps also running through the woods yelling "WOLVERINES!!!". Ok, not so much running as jogging. Ok, a fast walk. You know what I mean. To say I own a semi-auto .308 for when the zombies/ruskies come. So that my son can tell his friends that his dad is cooler than their dad. To eat up a tax return check. To gaze at longingly while I wished I had more money for ammo. To take on that hog hunt that my buddy's been setting up "next year" since '07. Next year FOR SURE.

So, given that the cost is about the same between these two, that I have no earthly practical use for either, but think both would be cool to own and shoot a bit...Which one and why?

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    M1A. Classic Military design still in use. Higher re-sale value, should you ever need/want to. Huge COOL factor. Some AR-10 style rifles have had some issues, Springfield has a life time guarantee that follows the rifle, no matter if you are the original purchaser or not.

Last edited:

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I voted M1a because I think everybody should try to own one once.

I sold mine after I found they required more attention than I could give them in order to keep the group sizes where I was happy, but I don't regret buying them (I kept wanting to own one, so I tried a few different configurations.)

Generally speaking, if you want to put glass on your rifle, get the DPMS. For irons, the M1a is hard to beat.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    I voted bacon because, well, ...bacon.

947R3xb.jpg

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Could you elaborate on that a bit? What sort of attention?

The scout and my first 22" were both 3-4moa out of the box w/ FGMM, which I understand to be about normal. I wasn't too thrilled with that, though, and started working on bringing the groups down. Generally speaking, I found I could get <2moa groups from them in the factory stock if I:

1) switched to the Schuster vented & bored gas plug (non-adjustable)

2) shimmed the trigger group (w/ aluminum) to get a solid "lockup" between the receiver & the stock (had to be tweaked every time I removed the action from the stock for cleaning) -- I ended up moving the scout to a Troy chassis, which replaced shimming the trigger group w/ messing with the screws on the bottom of the chassis.

3) cleaned the gas plug and cleaned the plug and cylinder every 50-75 rounds (the groups were notably worse by 100-110rds if I skipped cleaning the gas plug)

4) put 20-30 shots of FGMM down the barrel prior to looking for my group size after cleaning

I found I could go at least 300 rds between barrel cleanings. Between the cost of the "fouling" rounds and the time I was spending cleaning the gas system, though, I just was not enjoying my range time like I wanted to.

My last rifle was bedded in a wood stock (PO had it done) and shot better than I could (1" 5-shot groups were not uncommon and under 1.5" was the norm for me.) I still found myself cleaning the Schuster gas plug every 100rds or so, but what worried me was the (perhaps incorrect) understanding that the bedding would start to loose effectiveness if I took the action out of the stock regularly and would need to be re-bedded.

If I do another M1a, I will certainly go back to a wood stock and get it bedded and maybe try the Schuster adjustable gas block.

It might be worth mentioning that the only ammo I used was the 168gr FGMM & I am certain other folks have had better results. I just stuck with the 168gr since it was somewhat reasonable @ $1/rd and seemed to have a good reputation for accuracy and function in the M1a

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would go DPMS, as I have YET to see an instock M1A, even used, for less than $1500. The savings over an M1A would get a lot of mags, ammo, hand loading supplied and more importantly, trigger time. I've seen AR10s be VERY accurate with minimal or no modifications to be Sub-MOA rifles, where the M1A seems to require extensive lists of work to make sub MOA. Would rather spend my time shooting than cleaning/tuning/lubing the M1.

Traditionalists think that the M1A are gold and the folks that modified them want a premium for the work they threw into it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    DPMS AR10. It is a modern modular rifle. My eyes were opened when I got my Sportical in a trade. Accurate and reliable with a 16 inch barrel. A high quality rifle.

I own a match grade M1A. It is no more accurate and lots heavier.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have the M1A National Match. It has the Sadlak Mount installed on it for the scope. It is accurate and fun to shoot.

I have been wanting to get a .308 AR for some time now, but I just never seem to run into people that like them as much as the M1A guys love theirs.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recently traded my M1-A for an Armalite AR-10. Have not fired the AR yet. I had zero issues with the M1-A I just like the AR platform better these days.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Nothing beats the M1A for cool factor. That said, they are usually less accurate (unless you buy a higher-end match gun, or have that same work done to a service-grade gun) and field stripping/cleaning is more time-consuming that an AR-platform gun.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Why not an 18" 300 blk and not have to get used to a whole new weapon system ? I know the DPMS is an AR but the M1 just seems like for what it is and does , there are better options.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    203   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I own 2 M1A's and a very nice Armalite AR-10, they are all nice rifles. But if push came to shove, I would let the AR-10 go first. My M1A's are a "loaded" model, and a traditional one with G.I. parts. The Armalite is a carbine with a 16in. barrel, and let me tell you it is LOUD at the range.
    Something to consider with an AR-10, if you read enough about them, you should get one with a 20in. barrel. I like what Rock River has to offer, for quality and price. PSS usually has one in stock in the $1200 range for a bare bones rifle.

Top Bottom