• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Does Speedway have any stupid or silly laws about firearms? I just got promoted to a new job that will take me in and out of Speedway.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    The only law on the books in Speedway is that it is illegal to CCW. Since it was on the books when IN passes its toothless preemption law, it is still in effect. As a Speedway cop, we don't enforce it, as a general rule. Now, that being said, if someone w/ a LTC is carrying concealed, we will probably never know & don't really care (actually, it is prefered, per most LEO's). Also, if this person is being an ass, not enough to earn them another charge, they may get an ordinance violation ticket ($75). I, personally, have never heard of anyone being charged w/ a violation. Welcome to Speedway.

iam1096

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    Ohio
    Not sure about that but the speed limit is 250MPH.

Never saw that spped limit sign! Thank you for your help. I used the search to find the info.... but it came up with other things. I am glad to start working in the speedway area but now I am farther from PSS. Any good gun shops in the area that are worth the time? Thanks again guys.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    And we think this because . . .?

It was my understanding that the pre-emption overrode the ordinance. I do not have my IN state handgun law book here and will check that tomorrow at work.

I could be wrong, but need to check.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    IC 35-47-11-1
    Applicability of chapter
    Sec. 1. (a) Section 2 of this chapter applies to all units (as defined in IC 36-1-2-23). All other sections of this chapter apply to all units other than townships.
    (b) This chapter applies only if a statute expressly grants a legislative body the authority to adopt an emergency ordinance under this chapter.
    (c) This chapter does not affect the validity of an ordinance adopted before, and in effect on, January 1, 1994.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    Remember though, up until recently it was illegal to fire an anvil in Speedway as well. I think it got taken off the books last year though, but I'm stocking up in case Obama bans it.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    Reading though the firearms section I noticed this:

9.08.030 Minors carrying unlawful.

It is unlawful for an individual person under the age of twenty-one years to carry or exhibit any firearms within the town limits. (Ord. 358 § 3, 1966).

I am only 20 and plan to carry as soon as my LTCH comes back from the State. Does the States License overpower this ordinance?

Top Bottom