• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Having spent a lot of time on country roads I would guess 40-45mph, particularly considering the condition of most roads this summer.

IANAL but it seems if you admit to 62 in a 55 you have convicted yourself.

Well I don't know about having convicted yourself but your kid was intentionally speeding when he set his cruise at 62mph. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time or pay the fine.

My recommendation is to call the prosecutor, explain the situation and do the deferral/diversion, a variation of this idea.

If the supervisor could not get the ticket pulled this is your best option. Seems like Officer Friendly has made this one ticket his mission in life, particularly if he ignored his supervisor's suggestion and slipped the ticket into the system a few weeks later. The prosecutor has probably dealt with this guy before and will be happy to get things resolved in advance without having to interact with him in court.

Remember too, you only heard one side of the story (wife/son) so the actual interaction may have been slightly different.

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    iirc, article in a local paper from about 2006 or so,......

someone discovered that there was a stretch of county road in Greene county with no speed limit signs. it was brought up at a commissioners meeting, and 'legal' said that without signs there was no speed limit on that road.

commissioners said they would try to get some put up in the next year or so. there was no hurry because people know how to drive on that road. :)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I've gotten a couple speeding tickets in my life, both while in college. One (in Indiana) was very much warranted; the other one (in Ohio) honestly wasn't my fault. In the first one, the officer was a wee bit upset (I was going kinda fast...); but in Ohio, the officer was understanding, but still wrote the ticket. In neither case did I have to deal with an Officer Friendly type like your son did.

Anyway, back on topic: I don't remember what I did with the one in Ohio, but the one in Indiana, I took the deferral. It wasn't very expensive in the grand scheme of things.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    If it were my kid, we'd be in court bright and early to fight the ticket. The cop was wrong, the ticket is wrong. Never take a deal.

Yep; I'd have no problem making Officer Friendly show up in court. I would guess that whomever is prosecuting traffic tickets that day would probably offer you a plea down to a non-moving violation, once you showed him the improperly charged ticket. (At least, I've had that happen, in Missouri, when I expressed my intent to fight a clearly bogus ticket.)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I don't remember what I did with the one in Ohio, but the one in Indiana, I took the deferral. It wasn't very expensive in the grand scheme of things.

My last two tickets were in Ohio. I paid the fines, or Ohio out of state driver's tax, as like to call it, and went on with my life. Never got points on my Indiana DL for them either. Them Ohio boys are really good at picking out cars with no front license plates.:rolleyes:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    And now after reading, no wonder there are so many lawyers around. Why can speed limits just be posted instead of al. The state statute local ordinance crapola.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    My last two tickets were in Ohio. I paid the fines, or Ohio out of state driver's tax, as like to call it, and went on with my life. Never got points on my Indiana DL for them either. Them Ohio boys are really good at picking out cars with no front license plates.:rolleyes:

Well, in my case, I was going 60 in a 55, headed toward Marysville to a client site. It was at night, and foggy. Due to the fog, I never saw the speed limit reduced from 55 to 45. The nice sheriff's deputy (IIRC) nailed me shortly after the speed reduction. I wasn't trying to speed, but still my fault for not noticing the reduction. I paid my local revenue contribution tax. No big deal. :)

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well, in my case, I was going 60 in a 55, headed toward Marysville to a client site. It was at night, and foggy. Due to the fog, I never saw the speed limit reduced from 55 to 45. The nice sheriff's deputy (IIRC) nailed me shortly after the speed reduction. I wasn't trying to speed, but still my fault for not noticing the reduction. I paid my local revenue contribution tax. No big deal. :)

I have always been nailed on US33, near Willshire. You'll be in a line of cars, goin with the flow, doing just over 60 and pass an Ohio Highway Patrol car. Bam, he'll pick you out every time. I asked my dad how they always got me, he said you have no front license plate. Easier to pick out the out-o-staters, close to the state line and let them provide the funding than to pi$$ off the locals. The officers have been the most courteous and professional ones I have ever dealt with. Almost apologetic.

One time, with a minivan load of kids and the 100 pound family dog, I was pulled over. He came up to the passenger side window and asked for my license and registration. The dog, a yellow lab, didn't like him that close to wife and let him know. He talked to the dog the way women talk to babies and in a few seconds the dog was crawlin over the wife to meet his new friend. He asked where I got the dog, he knew the breeder, knew my dog's family tree better than I did. Talked about duck hunting, field trials, etc. He finally said, hold on for a sec, I'll be right back. I'm thinkin we bonded, we're cool. No way I get a ticket.

A minute later he comes back and hands me a ticket. I was like, WTF man! I let you pet my dog! The worst part, as we are driving away, the dog is looking out the back window and whining. Effin traitor.:xmad:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Is there any way to look up the county code for how often speed limit signs are to be posted?

I have had no luck finding anything. The nearest one to my house is seven miles to the north.

To me, the signs should have to be posted after every crossroad for the road to be considered "posted".:dunno:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    If it were my kid, we'd be in court bright and early to fight the ticket. The cop was wrong, the ticket is wrong. Never take a deal.

This. Often if you show up, they will reduce it. I wish I could on both my tickets. My first one I had to go back to college, so made a nice donation to the State of Indiana. My last one, last summer, I made a nice donation to the state of Illinois (which is another reason to hate that stupid state).

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Remember too, if the officer does not show up for the court case (which happens often) the ticket is thrown out.

My wife called the CoPo today and went a little higher up da totem pole. She explained the situation and the guy she talked to said, let me guess who wrote the ticket, Officer Friendly? She was like, how'd you know? He said that this is not the first case like this. Officer Friendly just writes all his tickets in our neighborhood for what he thinks the speed limit should be. He claims the law is somehow ambiguous as to what the speed limit is. Also told her he ALWAYS shows up for court and he bats about .500, mostly depending on the judge. My wife said, I want to file a complaint. It's one thing if he's ignorant, but to simply ignore the law is wrong. He said very cheerfully, I can help you do that.

The woman is now a dog with a bone. She's a salaried employee, with a light workload, within walking distance of the county/city building.:rolleyes:

My fear is that by the time she's done, they'll actually feel compelled to post our road at a significantly lower than 55MPH speed limit, AND I'll still end up forking over $$$ for the damn ticket.:ugh:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom