Special Forces outfitted with G19's, why not G17's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    My .02 is that it was just a generally all around better balance of size, weight, capacity, and ergonomics, e.g. it fit more people's hands mo' betta. (And a lot of the SF guys are not particularly big, just lots of "won't quit" and stamina). As noted above, it is probably a secondary/backup weapon the vast majority of the time, so giving up a couple rounds to get a bet balanced package wasn't a big deal (and of course, you can still put a 17 round mag in it if need be). And it was in the system already. As much as they practice and shoot (so I have read), I doubt the sight radius really makes a difference to them.

I have Glock 17 too, and like it, but it is a bigger bulkier gun, plus I have short fingers. The 19 is an excellent size.

This is really true. I have a family member that's SF out of Fayetteville and I've met a bunch of his team mates. In civvy's, not many of them would impress you as being a badass. None of them know how to quit though. No matter what's thrown at them, they just keep going. The saying that Fayetteville is one place you don't want to pick a fight in a bar is true. It just may be that the skinny, nerdy guy there really does have some skills that will put the hurt on you.

My guess on the choice of the 19 over the 17 is that the 19 is a more balanced weapon that's a bit lighter.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    My College ROTC MSGT was SF or former SF, he pretty much tolds us that what the SF wants they get. So if they chose the 19 then there was a good reason.

indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I am by no means a special forces operator or enthusiast. I would assume that concealment could be a factor for undercover ops. And it seams the 19 fits a wider range of hand sizes and is the perfect medium.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    None of it has to do with the fact that .gov has for OVER 10 years, supplied G19's to many military and police forces across the globe, it "fits" damned near everyone, females included. It's already inventoried, we've paid millions of dollars to trainers, .mil, and .cop across MANY different nations and geographical regions. They are cheap, oh, and they are already in the inventory? Now that that is clear, those extra two rounds, the extra grip length, the extra bbl length, all add up to significant amounts of real estate on already equipment heavy operators. They balance high bb capacity in a smaller space, they are lighter weight, they are easy to shoot, they're cheap, they are already in inventory, they fit damned near everyone, and they're already in inventory! What's so hard to figure out? The last time this was brought up, it was the Navy SEALS switching to the 19 from the 226, and the same stuff was brought up. The 226 (in the Navy config, and how it is supplied) has a 15 round mag. The 19 has a 15 round mag. Th 19 just happens to be waaay smaller, lighter, and gives up no capacity. Same with the M9, only more so! Army SF, and Ranger units have been using them for a bit, Marine Special Operators went to them, and the Navy went in turn. I am not familiar with anymore than one person in AFSOC, so can't add anything about the Farce!;)

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Think about it................place yourself in their boots, tactical and all around use. You want two more sometimes three more rounds get a (+) bottom.

JACKD7

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Westfield
    This seems similar to Armed Forces use of the Sig M11-A1 which is a 229 ILO 226. It's already been mentioned but it's all about the rifle and ease of carry for the 19.

Last edited:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Think about it................place yourself in their boots, tactical and all around use. You want two more sometimes three more rounds get a (+) bottom.

Yeah, once you can get all your fingers on the grip, and you have sufficient sight radius, what is the advantage of a bigger, heavier gun if the smaller gun takes all the same mags?

Ounces turn into pounds.

Top Bottom