• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    I am interested in CC, but need lots more information on, about, and how to do it. The liability aspects of if you have to use a gun in self defense particularly interest me. I have been told that if at all possible you should retreat if threatening circumstances arise. I was further instructed that if you do use a gun, you had better have $20,000 in the bank to hire a lawyer. Is this true? Does anybody have some good reference material I should look up on this issue? Also, what is the general price range I would be looking at to get a CC holster (and can you recommend any good ones and where to get them) and permit? Thanks

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    All of your questions have been discussed in detail in several threads here. I suggest making extensive use of the search function. That said, it sounds like you really need to take the NRA Basic Pistol course. They cover some of the legal issues you can expect. Lastly, it wouldn't be a bad idea for you to discuss your concerns with a lawyer who is versed in defending self-defense with a gun.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    It might not be a bad idea to have a list of lawyers that do understand what it takes. I personally do not know of any in my area.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Like Scutter01 said just take some time and search around, all of your questions have most likely been asked and answered, also by searching around you'll find answers to questions that you haven't even asked yet.

The price range on a cc holster will depend on many things, type of gun, clothing, time of year, etc and don't think that you'll only buy one and that'll be it, there'll always be another that catches your eye. :cheers:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    If the use of force is justified, Indiana law does not require retreat. Whether you should or not depends on a variety of factors and could fill books.

Also, by Indiana law, if you are legally justified in using reasonable force in self defense, you are immune from civil suits.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property
    <snip> No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary.

That being said, there's nothing preventing a prosecutor from prosecuting you or someone from filing a civil suit and having to defend yourself.

I would recommend the book Indiana Handgun Law by Bryan L. Ciyou, and any training you can reasonably afford. If you are a first time gun owner/shooter I would give a +1 to Scutter01 on the NRA Basic Pistol Course.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    It is alway best to retreat and avoid conflict, legally you are not required to retreat to justify self defense.

If I have to fire my weapon who cares what the cost is, I am alive and that is all that matters.

But have a plan, talk to no one but your attorney.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    I have been told by LEO friends, that even if they showed up at a shooting, not to talk to them. Just say I was in danger and would like to talk to my lawyer. Keep repeating you feared for your life and would like to talk to an lawyer.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have been told by LEO friends, that even if they showed up at a shooting, not to talk to them. Just say I was in danger and would like to talk to my lawyer. Keep repeating you feared for your life and would like to talk to an lawyer.

DO NOT TALK TO THE POLICE.

"Officer, I would like to fully cooperate with your investigation but, with respect, I would like to speak to my lawyer first."

AND NOTHING ELSE!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Anyone have a gun friendly lawyer list for Indianapolis?

Bryan L. Ciyou

Ciyou & Dixon

I've chatted briefly with him a couple times at the Indy 1500, and seems like a super guy; even told me to send him an e-mail to get a contact he mentioned for Gunsite training (IIRC), and he answered.

G McBride

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2008
    Centerville
    Always think of the liability of not using your gun in the event of an assault. If you do shoot always tell them "I was in fear for my life, I want to cooperate but I am to upset at this time and would like to speak with my lawyer."

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Uniquenateo
    Top Bottom