Soc 101 WHY DO YOU THINK OTHERS DON'T PREPARE?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WHY DO YOU THINK OTHERS DON'T PREPARE?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I believe its all of those and as someone else stated, the biggest one is probably denial. They dont believe it will happen to them. At any tragedy, everyone is always, why me? why me? instead of, thank goodness i was prepared, this will suck for abit, but it could have been way worse. They dont want to believe that something bad or scary will happen, so if they deny it will, then they can go on worrying about having the newest this or that.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I picked the "don't think it can happen here" answer.

Most people are emotionally and spiritually weak, so they can't comprehend let alone deal with the fact that they could be royally screwed or snuffed out in the blink of an eye. Ignorance is bliss to them...

Death is a man's natural destiny. When you come to terms with that, you'll be cheerful like I am. :D

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I think it's a combination of those.

They don't think it can happen, and they have confidence that if it does happen there will be government assistance to rescue them.

Others are more concerned about the next gadget and it's just not a priority because they are gambling that the risk of it happening is so slim. But what they forget to consider is the reward of doing so. Yeah, the risk is slim, but the reward is great if it does happen and you're prepared.

Hk91_son

Plinker
    Rating - 97.9%
    46   1   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Richmond
    I'm going with my own answer, brainwashing or asleep. People know more about the Kardashian's than whats going on in the world. We have all seen the reporter on the streets asking people simple questions like who is the vice president, and most people don't know. But they complain about the government, how can you complain when you don't even know who they are? They believe what ever mainstream media tells them. I was just talking to my husband on the way home about SHTF, and I said you know a lot of people will die just from lack of know how. They don't know how to plant a garden, store food for the winter, obtain drinking water. They may have guns but do they know how to shoot? How to clear a jam, how to fix it if it breaks, how to clean it. People believe what they want to believe, not what is true. The wife

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    While all of these are "good" (meaning, they likely apply to lots of people), it seems like the biggest reason/problem is a pervasive entitlement mentality. So many people believe that they "deserve" to have everything, and that it should just be handed to them.

I mean no disrespect to to anyone who was impacted by Katrina, but we should have ALL been able to learn a little something about how well we can expect to be taken care of. :twocents:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    While all of these are "good" (meaning, they likely apply to lots of people), it seems like the biggest reason/problem is a pervasive entitlement mentality. So many people believe that they "deserve" to have everything, and that it should just be handed to them.

I mean no disrespect to to anyone who was impacted by Katrina, but we should have ALL been able to learn a little something about how well we can expect to be taken care of. :twocents:

Agree. Katrina should have been a wake up call. It should have on so many levels. Like, if you are told to move, bad things are coming, maybe you should leave, especially when you have plenty of advanced noticed. If you cannot rely on yourself until resupplies come along, that gun will look awful tasty. Also, should have been a wake up call about the fire arm confiscation. Good luck with that happening around here. Glad they disarmed the civil folks, so the mob rule could take over

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Agree. Katrina should have been a wake up call. It should have on so many levels. Like, if you are told to move, bad things are coming, maybe you should leave, especially when you have plenty of advanced noticed. If you cannot rely on yourself until resupplies come along, that gun will look awful tasty. Also, should have been a wake up call about the fire arm confiscation. Good luck with that happening around here. Glad they disarmed the civil folks, so the mob rule could take over

It is far easier to disarm civil folk as they can be found defending their home and loved ones.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    It is far easier to disarm civil folk as they can be found defending their home and loved ones.

Exactly, well, that and its always easier to disarm WILLING people. Cause you know they didnt try to disarm mobs, that would be scary. Just like TSA, all the people i see get searched, are mainly ones that are the "SAFE" risk. 89 year old Grandmother with a bad hip. Yes, its possible that she could be a risk, and IF i had to fight a bad guy, i would totally rather fight her then some cracked out Jihad. I understand it can BE anyone, but when 90% and more of searches are babies and grandmothers, really makes me think are you making feel good stats and searches, or you actively trying not to accomplish something. Sorry for the off rant there, Im apparently not the fan of the year of TSA

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    IMO the overwhelming majority of Americans are distracted from reality. National news, Cable tv, the internet, smart phones, etc.. They either choose not to, or don't want to think about a scenario such as, so they don't. They would rather spend 5 days watching (on internet or tv) coverage of a theatre shooting in Colorado, then realizing an eminent new war is ready to form in the Middle East. To know about the latest celebrity scandal is more important than realizing that 44% of the corn produced in this nation will be lost this year. To worry about an awb(which takes house approval) is more important than realizing the power grid could go at anytime. To worry about two men or women that want to get married is more important than being able to retire safely and comfortably. Like was stated the overwhelming majority not the entire population.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    IMO the overwhelming majority of Americans are distracted from reality. National news, Cable tv, the internet, smart phones, etc.. They either choose not to, or don't want to think about a scenario such as, so they don't. They would rather spend 5 days watching (on internet or tv) coverage of a theatre shooting in Colorado, then realizing an eminent new war is ready to form in the Middle East. To know about the latest celebrity scandal is more important than realizing that 44% of the corn produced in this nation will be lost this year. To worry about an awb(which takes house approval) is more important than realizing the power grid could go at anytime. To worry about two men or women that want to get married is more important than being able to retire safely and comfortably. Like was stated the overwhelming majority not the entire population.

Agreed, when people know more about American Idol, and that Idiot Shore show then they do know about events happening in their own back yard, LET ALONE across the nation, and world. But, if you asked, I bet they could tell you who was seeing who, and whos pregnant and other useless information. While I dont read the news as much as I used to, because I get stopped from what I read (personal reasons, I dont believe much in the print or on the news), but at least I seek to educate myself. Just like the last Presidential Election. Could have asked all the people going in, who they were voting for, and what their policies for anything are, and would have found out pretty much, there are idiots voting. Something our forefathers fought and killed for, but since they have never had to defend it, or fight for it, its taken for granted. Its just much easier to stay stupid, head in the sand then to get smarter and get ahead anymore.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Darwin will once again prove effective in the disposition of such people.....barring the government socializing my kitchen pantry, hunting, and camping equipment.

Top Bottom